FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wifi connection speeds

Tony The Tiger
Does anyone know if there is any way to get more consistent wifi connection speeds. I usually log on at my local library branch. Some days the wifi connection is quite good and the resulting download speeds are very fast. Other days the connection seems to be of lower quality. It is the same computer and same router from day to day. Why does the connection quality very significantly?
infobankr
With wifi, interference can cause a degradation of service, but you may also be experiencing slower performance due to the general traffic at your library. Do you see more people around with computers when the service is poor?
cvkien
you cannot always expect those public wifi always remain the same speed. because even less people using the line but with lot of people around, your line wave sure will decrease a bit. wifi frecuency won't always stable even close to it. and for sure, public wifi would have large number of user using it and this would effect the speed as well.
Tony The Tiger
infobankr wrote:
With wifi, interference can cause a degradation of service, but you may also be experiencing slower performance due to the general traffic at your library. Do you see more people around with computers when the service is poor?

What do you mean by interference? What things cause interference and how do you define it in the wifi context?

infobankr wrote:

P.S. I will start to take note of the number of other users when my connection is slow. I have not in the past.

cvkien wrote:
you cannot always expect those public wifi always remain the same speed. because even less people using the line but with lot of people around, your line wave sure will decrease a bit. wifi frecuency won't always stable even close to it. and for sure, public wifi would have large number of user using it and this would effect the speed as well.

I assume you meatn that the connection speed declines with the number of wifi enabled computers catching the signal regardless of whether they choose to connect. Is this what you mean?