FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


"Others" section does not fit






New programming language Sections ?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

hicham_the_webmaster
I think scripting->others is a too limited section to talk about all other programming language....

Mods must create a section for every language (or for similar ones) so as to make some "order" here ?

What's your opinion ?
qscomputing
No, because so few people use enough different languages to make this useful. Besides, if we were to include "every language" - I doubt anyone here would be interested in discussing INTERCAL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercal), for example.

OTOH, it might be a good idea to prepend topic titles with the language name, which some people do already.
Indi
No, there's not nearly enough activity here to justify that. As qscomputing said, i always put the language name in brackets at the front of the topic title. That's plenty good enough. Sometimes programming questions are language independent anyway, so you would still need an "Others" or "General programming questions" forum.

It might be a good idea to rename "Others" to "General programming" or something a little more descriptive, though. Or maybe name "Scripting" to "Programming" (which is more correct anyway) and rename "Others" to "General programming" or something.

But separate forums for different language groups? No point.
munkey_boy
I agree with Indi. But you pointed out that they should that they should rename "Others" to "Programming". Razz

I hope you get why I put "that they should" twice. Laughing
snowboardalliance
Maybe having like a few specific forums would be helpful
Like C/C++/Java, Basic, and then an other languages.

Although this would only make sense if we actually had enough of these specific topics.
Indi
C/C++ and Java have almost nothing in common except they sorta kinda look alike. Nothing except the most trivial algorithms would be the same in both algorithms - and even when they are, they are usually a bad idea in one or the other language. C/C++ has more in common with Pascal or Fortran than Java. And Java is more like Visual Basic than C/C++ except for the way the code looks.
hicham_the_webmaster
And that's the purpose, regrouping - As I said - "similar" programming language (in syntaxe, code and philosohpy of programming) and well spread language, I did not talk about "extrems" like some ones said, and I'm sorry of that. Surprised
hicham_the_webmaster
Indi wrote:
C/C++ and Java have almost nothing in common except they sorta kinda look alike. Nothing except the most trivial algorithms would be the same in both algorithms - and even when they are, they are usually a bad idea in one or the other language. C/C++ has more in common with Pascal or Fortran than Java. And Java is more like Visual Basic than C/C++ except for the way the code looks.


I'm not sure of what your saying here Very Happy
Indi
hicham_the_webmaster wrote:
Indi wrote:
C/C++ and Java have almost nothing in common except they sorta kinda look alike. Nothing except the most trivial algorithms would be the same in both algorithms - and even when they are, they are usually a bad idea in one or the other language. C/C++ has more in common with Pascal or Fortran than Java. And Java is more like Visual Basic than C/C++ except for the way the code looks.


I'm not sure of what your saying here Very Happy

i was saying exactly what i wrote. If you're going to be grouping languages, lumping C/C++ in with Java makes no sense. They both use braces to delimit blocks, semicolons to end statements and parentheses to call functions - that and a few other things is pretty much all they have in common. People who think C/C++ and Java are alike are either bad C/C++ programmers, bad Java programmers, or both.
hicham_the_webmaster
I'm so sorry for your answer, and If you see that the only similar point between Java and C++ are () or semicolon so I'll be very frustrated because you are the one who do not wants the new section that I'm talking about to be created. (and I'm not saying that you are a good or a bad programmer).

Okay, let's take Java and C++ (the example that you always use).

Primo, the biggest similarity is that the two are Object Oriented Programming (I hope that's the exact term in english) and we can eliminate a lot of langages basing on this criteria ... (yes or no ???)

Secundo, the two use notions of Heritage, Polymorphism, Exception managment, Overcharging ... And that's only what I expect to remember.

Don't you see also that Java in fact was based on other language to build on, and among them what ? ... C/C++ Smile

I'm sorry but THERE ARE similarities between them that can help us categorize programming langage (so as to create forum's section for every "big" category) and not something "evident" like you say (brackets, ; braces, ...). If we follow that way of arguing, why not adding the two // for commentaries, both use them Rolling Eyes (like php lol).

Do you see what I'm talking about ?

Thanx for your answer !
Peterssidan
Why not have like it is now.It's so few that write here and it's good to have everything on the same place. You can see things that you would never looked for. Many can help beyond there fields.
hicham_the_webmaster
and why not, let me say, in a "different" and "logical" way ? Smile
Indi
hicham_the_webmaster wrote:
Primo, the biggest similarity is that the two are Object Oriented Programming (I hope that's the exact term in english) and we can eliminate a lot of langages basing on this criteria ... (yes or no ???)

No. There are tons of object-oriented programming languages....

...but C++ is not an object-oriented programming language. It is a multi-paradigm language that supports object-oriented programming, and also object-based programming, functional programming, generic programming, policy-based programming and many more - Java supports none of those.

hicham_the_webmaster wrote:
Secundo, the two use notions of Heritage, Polymorphism, Exception managment, Overcharging ... And that's only what I expect to remember.

Those features are in dozens and dozens of programming languages. Here are just a few:
Ada
C#
CLU
Eiffel
Modula-3
Object Pascal
Objective-C
O-caml
OO Turing
Python
Ruby
... and many, many more, including things like PHP that are normally called scripting languages, not programming languages.

So you think that because C++ and Java both have a few common features and a similar syntax, that they're similar languages, hm? Well, both dolphins and pirhana swim in the water and have fins. Since it's ok to go swimming with dolphins, it must be ok to swim with pirhana, right? Wrong.

As i already said, C++ and Java sorta kinda look alike. But they are totally different. Yes, both languages have exceptions, inheritance, polymorphism and function overloading, but both languages have them in entirely different ways. Exceptions in Java are special objects and must be explicitly specified and handled, but C++ exceptions are optional and can be anything; the inheritance systems are totally different - C++ supports multiple inheritence and Java does not; polymophism is optional in C++ but mandatory in Java; Java only has member function overloading, C++ has any kind of function, operator and namespace overloading, all with smart resolution (aka Koenig lookup).

Yes, C++ and Java sorta kinda look alike. But they are totally and completely different.

hicham_the_webmaster wrote:
Don't you see also that Java in fact was based on other language to build on, and among them what ? ... C/C++ Smile

Java was not based on C++. Java was based on Oak. Oak was an entirely new language designed to program a special purpose virtual machine. They made it look sorta kinda like C++ by borrowing some of the C++ syntax because that's what they were familiar with (but they simplified it to make the compiler easier for them to make).

hicham_the_webmaster wrote:
I'm sorry but THERE ARE similarities between them that can help us categorize programming langage (so as to create forum's section for every "big" category) and not something "evident" like you say (brackets, ; braces, ...). If we follow that way of arguing, why not adding the two // for commentaries, both use them Rolling Eyes (like php lol).

Hey, PHP also has classes, exceptions, reflection... just like Java. Maybe we should make a forum for Java and PHP....

... only, those two languages are nothing alike either.
hicham_the_webmaster
Thanks for taking too long to answer, I can see that u looked for documenation Very Happy .

I totally agree with you, but I still say it's a good way to separate each -well known I said- huge category of programming langages (and please we are not looking for making an indexation for all existing programming langage just to say that there are no similarities between them !!!).

To sump up, Arrow go to other forums, (even not specialized in programming) there are distinct section for every langage ...

See u later
Wink .
qebab
BECAUSE BOLD, ITALICS AND UNDERLINES MAKES EVERYONE READ WHAT I WRITE.
Indi
hicham_the_webmaster wrote:
Thanks for taking too long to answer, I can see that u looked for documenation Very Happy .

Yeah, that must be it. Can't just be that i have a life and have been busy. -_-

But hey, looking up documentation isn't such a bad idea at all. Perhaps you should give it a shot.

hicham_the_webmaster wrote:
I totally agree with you, but I still say it's a good way to separate each -well known I said- huge category of programming langages (and please we are not looking for making an indexation for all existing programming langage just to say that there are no similarities between them !!!).

To sump up, Arrow go to other forums, (even not specialized in programming) there are distinct section for every langage ...

See u later Wink .

We already have that here. Static web page programming languages are in one forum, dynamic web page programming languages (and website database programming, which is related) in another, website content software in another, and then this one - for everything else. Frihost is, in the end, a forum for web site creators, so that kind of organization makes sense.

Really, there's no reason for what you propose other than it looks like what you've seen other places... which is no reason at all. What we have works just fine - and anything else wouldn't add anything except complexity.
Related topics
No Baseball at Olympic Games 2012
Plzz Help meeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Free PHP shopping cart needed
Partial Smoking ban breaches human rights - UK
What do babies talk?
Buddhism
The street
Atheism is not scientific.
Displaying .txt file on web page
Philosophy Essays & Philosophy Texts
Oh I almost forgot
Ayn Rand: sad sicko heroine of right wing & libertarians
How do you solve a problem like Sarah? ....
God exists - and here's the proof
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Scripting -> Others

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.