FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trying to Learn German

SystemWisdom
Ja, Ich bin Lernin nach Deutsche!

[English] Ya, I am still learning German!

Anyway, I am trying to learn to speak, read & write German, although I am doing so on my own -- no classes.. Sad

So, I was wondering if anyone here knows any good sites or tutorials that would help me learn German off of the Internet..

Primarily, I am looking for sites that have audio samples, so that I can hear the pronounciations of the words, and most importantly, I am starting from the beginning, so any and all sites would probably help me!

If you know of any good sites or tutorials for learning German, please don't hesitate to post your findings here!!

Thanks in advance!! Very Happy
Screap
Hi,
I was born and I'm still living in germany.
I don't know any sites on wich you could learn german but you should get a book which is used in schools to learn german.

If you got a question for translating a special text or something like that, post it here.

Ja, Ich bin Lernin nach Deutsche!

You posted this sentence, sorry but nobody will understand that, what you wanted to say was:
Ja, ich lerne Deutsch!

I wish you much on learning the language but I think its much more difficult than english.
waiteck
I wanna.. learn Cantonese and Hokkien. Kinda weird but fun to speak thou.. lol..
cnnet
I find it diffcult to learn gemany
though some around me learn it
Dimaod
I am learning German at school.....
But... i think its dificult...
But i have very old teacher....
She is listening Ramstein....
Laughing Laughing
Hoogeveense RAT
I'm also learning German at scool. http://www.travlang.com/languages/ is a site where you can learning a lot of languages.
noliver
Hoogeveense RAT wrote:
I'm also learning German at scool. http://www.travlang.com/languages/ is a site where you can learning a lot of languages.

Surely there can not be so many differances between German and Dutch ? Are they not both Germanic in Origin ? And you are even neighbours Smile - Just speak to the Germ tourists that come over the border to smoke Pot in the Netherlands ! Smile

Cheeers,
Nick.
Hoogeveense RAT
The German and Dutch words aren't so many differant. But the German Grammar Surey is very difficult.
hahame
my english is still poor ,let alone the german
masterevil
german is hard. there are articles, das die der and forms nominativ, akkusativ etc. English is the best.
SystemWisdom
Hrmm.. you guys are scaring me!! lol.. But I still want to learn German (and I will! Razz) and I don't find it that much harder than learning any other language.. French maybe is easy too, but Je ne parle pas en francais either!

I will try that one site posted here though, maybe they are better than the site I am currently learning from, because if "Ich bin lernin nach Deutsche" is supposed to be "Ich lerne Deutsche" then I am way off! Sad

Anyway, thanks for the insight, and post some links if you have any!!
ulmas
I also studied german once by myself! But I used another approach. I first learnt the basics and then I looked for chat partners originally from Germany, who I supposed knew German Razz and they did, and then practiced german with native speakers.

That was really helpful, especially to learn new words, as I was always with a dictionary, and when I had to say something in german, I looked up a word from the dictionary, and composed a not_very_correct sentence which was immediately corrected.

Very helpful, but depends on patience of a particular chat partner Smile
MistaKiula
A live partner would be great too.. I want to learn Japanese and Mandarin.. but reading/writing in that language is kinda hard through chatting, hahha.
SystemWisdom
ulmas wrote:
I also studied german once by myself! But I used another approach. I first learnt the basics and then I looked for chat partners originally from Germany, who I supposed knew German Razz and they did, and then practiced german with native speakers.

That was really helpful, especially to learn new words, as I was always with a dictionary, and when I had to say something in german, I looked up a word from the dictionary, and composed a not_very_correct sentence which was immediately corrected.

Very helpful, but depends on patience of a particular chat partner Smile

Wow! Thanks, that is an amazing idea! I can't believe I never thought about that, it is sooo simple!! I am glad you shared that advice, and maybe now I can find out just how wrong I have been! lol..

Danke!
Screap
To chat with native speakers is really nice idea. I should do that aswell, if I want to learn another language.

I'm wondering many people seems to be interested in german, because it isn't spoken in so many countries like english or spanish and so on.

Grüße aus Deutschland (greetings from germany)
CaNn!Bal
Between the german and the dutch language, there are many differents. In germany we say: Guten Tag (for god day) and in the netherlands they say (I think): God daag... They speak slowly. The dutch language is more like the danish language.
The people from the netherlands understand the german people, however,
the german people don't understand the dutch people.

> German is europeans Number 1 language! It's spoken in more countries than anything else in europe!

@ ScreaP : wo kommst du her? oder wie wir im pott sagen: wo kommsde weg?
Screap
@ CaNn!Bal
Aus Wuppertal (NRW) komm ich, wurde aber in Koblenz geboren, hab da nur 2 Jahre gelebt.

Translation @ everybody else:
I come from Wuppertal (NRW), but I was born in Koblenz, lived there just for two years.
Crethox
I don't think German is the most spoken language in Europe

Arabic or Turkish is more spoken, look around you, you see them everywhere lol.
Hoogeveense RAT
CaNn!Bal wrote:
Between the german and the dutch language, there are many differents. In germany we say: Guten Tag (for god day) and in the netherlands they say (I think): God daag... They speak slowly. The dutch language is more like the danish language.
The people from the netherlands understand the german people, however,
the german people don't understand the dutch people.

In Holland we say: Goeie dag. We could understand the German people because we have German lessons at scool. I don't think you have Dutch lessons at scool.
the666bbq
Ich lerne immer noch die Deutsche Sprache, is even more correct if you want to translate the english translation of the german phrase of the original post. But hey, the basics of learning every new language is trial and error and especially not being afraid to go flat on your face...
even in computer languages you will never grow out of for loops if you are afraid of whiles, and you will never grow into recursive db deletion if you are to afraid to hit the button (some anxiety is normal though)
the666bbq
Don't underestimate the compatibility of the germanic based languages though - the degree of understanding both is bigger than you think and I can know it because as a flemmish dude from belgium I speak my three motherlanguages (dutch, french, german) fluently.
About the speed in dutch (holland) speaking : there can be some argueing about that too : most of the time you can skip half of what a dutchman (hollander) says : they fill up there phrases with a lingual version of whitespace.
The comparison with danish is not that clear too..
I know swedish too and that is not that high speed language. And that reminds me of the fact that most unknown languages seem very high speed when you have no grip on the words (where do they start, where do they end). Italian is one of the top high speed languages around, but when I was learning this language (I know a couple languages Wink ) I found that the speed never reached that subjective speed - only when they used unfamiliar words...
criticaldensity
I would love to speak it fluently. So I can tell Franka Potente she's beautiful. Very Happy
ekstroom
Surely there can not be so many differances between German and Dutch ? Are they not both Germanic in Origin ? And you are even neighbours - Just speak to the Germ tourists that come over the border to smoke Pot in the Netherlands !
42mart2
Im studying German on school, its kinda tricky bacause you have to switch on the places to the verbs and big letters and soo on...

Danke = Thanks
Ich = I
Liebe = Like
Dich = You
Bist = Are

Ich liebe dich und ich wohne in Kristiansand.
Das ist eine stadt in Norwegen.

Ich bin
Du bist
er/sie/es ist

Wir sind
Ihr seidt
Sie sind
sie sind

That was a little lesson in german.
splitunion
Good luck on learning it. I was taking Spanish and French in school at the same time and it drove me crazy. It was well worth it though.... Hopefully you'll get a hang of the langauge soon. It really is beautiful when spoken correctly.
Jeslyn
I don't know of any site, but I remember seeing a CD-ROM tutorial at Best-buy for various languages for only fifteen dollars that includes beginners, mid-level, intermediate, advanced, and finally fluent in the entire package.

Or you could visit ebay for some cheap cd-roms or guides
PuNGS
For native english-speaking people learning german is pretty difficult. As for me (I'm brazilian), it is not so difficult, as many portuguese languages rules are similar to german.

By the way, I do not know how to speak german, only a little bit.
karysky
Hi,

I too want to learn German. Actually, I'm obsessed with this language. I don't know why, but I've always been curious and maybe even impressed by this language. I love how it sounds (the harsh side of it) and the challenge of learning it.

My native language is French, I speak English fluently and I know some Spanish. I'm taking my first German lesson this summer at my university. I know it's gonna be hard, but I am extremely motivated.

What triggered my desire to finally learn it is the discovery of the german band Rammstein. I love them!

I want to go in Germany for about a year after my studies! That would be an incredible experience. I would like to visit most of Europe too! (I'm from Canada). And if I really really like it, maybe I'd like to live there for a little while. I've heard that engineers are well treated and paid in Europe (I study electrical engineering).

Anyway, I wish you luck, and I'm telling you that you won't be the only one trying to learn German!
Soulfire
Best of luck. I am trying to learn espanol.

Es muy facil, y muy divertido