FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Two rather neat helicopter videos

datter
I'm sure everyone can deduce what's going on here, but it's neat just the same so I thought I'd share.

video 1

video 2
Helios
Woah, amazing!
I thought that the helicopter was just gliding at first, but the noise and the maneuvers cought my attention.

Honestly, this is some cool stuff.
rvec
Look at the comments Very Happy
IT'S A UFO!!
Rolling Eyes
darrenpaul
lol, thats pretty cool
datter
For the record, the helo isn't actually flying with fixed rotors... but I won't give it away. I'm sure someone will sort out what's going on if you think about it a bit. Smile
Agent ME
So what exactly is happening? The video is synched to the rotors to only show the frames with them in those positions?
rvec
look at the comments:
Quote:
planes and helis are flying only because of magic!

just think how blowing air could make 100 tons of alluminium and titan move !!

blades and engines only to cover the truth. magic is power!

No I think this comment is more useful Razz :
Quote:
Nice example of "Wagon-wheel effect"

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagon-wheel_effect
ninjakannon
Wow! At first I had no idea how the rotors appeared to be so still. Then I realised that they had to be moving, because you can hear them spinning.

Agent ME wrote:
So what exactly is happening? The video is synched to the rotors to only show the frames with them in those positions?

I just read the first comment on each of the videos and it offers a pretty good explanation - correct me if it's wrong though.

The rotors are spinning so fast that they are not captured on every frame of the video properly. So they appear stationary. Interestingly, they appear stationary, which would seem to suggest that the rotors are doing one exact spin per frame of the camera filming.
datter
That's right, it either just happens to be or is purposely set up so that the frame rate of the camera matches the rotation of the helicopters rotor blades, giving the appearance they're not moving at all. Of course the camera may not be sync'd to each turn of the rotor, as all the rotor blades look the same of course... so as long as it's synced per blade, as opposed to a full revolution you'd still get the same effect. Not sure if I explained the right, but I tried. Smile

I find it interesting that the vid stayed in sync throughout however, as I'm sure the rotor blades changed speed during the flight.
bonestorm74
Impressive stuff, good find.
Jaan
First video is out of sync. You can tell cause throughout the video they make a very slow rotation.
Aless
That's pretty cool - thanks for sharing!!
scotty
Jaan wrote:
First video is out of sync. You can tell cause throughout the video they make a very slow rotation.

Yeah I saw that also. Another thing to note is that is may not be that hard to get the camera to sync considering helicopter rotors spin at a constant speed and only the pitch changes so right throughout the flight they are going at the same speed whether climbing or falling. So I guess getting a camera to sync up isn't that impossibly hard!
Josso
That's a cool effect they've managed there.
Zaini711
Perfect example of how eyes (or in this case camera) can play a trick on our mind. It's just an optical illusion I guess. Yeah, I would guess that the frame rate of the video is similar to the blade rotation. But it is a nice find on Youtube.

Good share
James007
How VERY useless. You might want to post it in "funny pictures" (and video's) next time.

-close-