FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Transfer files without downloading them!!

pashmina
Is there any way to transfer the files to the hosting account using the FTP without downloading them?
Example: suppose there is a Direct download link, and I want to transfer this compressed file directly into my hosting account Directly without downloading them & just providing the FTP information.
Is there any site or script to do this?
Vrythramax
I don't know of any way to that...and your much better off downloading the file completely and checking for viruses before transfering it to another server and possibly infecting them with a trojan or something, or possibly being guilty of propagating a (known) virus. Download first, upload second.

Sounds reasonable doesn't it?
pashmina
Downloading them and again uploading is the direct way but i was just looking for an alternative to do this. I mean for only the trusted downloads. Any I found the script to do this. I have tried this on the other host and it simple works. Its a open source script called the rapidleech. You can just enter the download link, and the file gets transfered to your host without downloading them. Then this file can be ftp transfered to any host account. Sound like its a quick cheat.
Vrythramax
What if the file is infected? Possibly your virus scanner could eliminate a potential threat. Or are you more concerned with saving time?
pashmina
Ok thats true but in some cases they might be some problem to the internet speed in the future. In this case using script is the only way to get your files uploaded. Besides I only meant the safe files, like a bunch of opensource script from trust able sites.
Traveller
Some FTP clients (e.g. CoreFTP) will allow you to set up two separate connections - essentially a source and a destination. Once that is done, when you drag something from one column to the other, it will copy it between the two machines without keeping a copy on your local machine. Even so, I'm sure it accomplishes this by going THROUGH your machine, so it's not as quick as a direct FTP between the two other machines.

I HAVE had this work, but it has not ALWAYS worked. It's been so long, though, since I've tried it that I'm not sure WHY it didn't always work.

Don't forget, of course, that if you have SSH access to either of the computers, and if you are allowed to run FTP from that system's command prompt, that would be the best thing to do, since it would be direct AND would usually be over much faster lines than you have on your computer.
yo.hassan
rapid leech is good really. i used that for transferring big files to my server then download it with DAP. why? not all server lets me use segmented download. its good for own use and files from trusted sources.
pashmina
care should be taken while you put this script on to your hosting account as anyone can upload the files. you should at least password protect the directory.
yo.hassan
pashmina wrote:
care should be taken while you put this script on to your hosting account as anyone can upload the files. you should at least password protect the directory.
yes and also putting hard to guess URL may do the work. i did that and book mark that page. simple yet good
Vrythramax
as I (personally) see it, since the host in question is a FREE host, and providing services at no charge to the end user, a certain amount of due care should be placed on the end user. In this case knowing what the files contain, or the potential hazards to the server and all users as a result of uploading those files should be shown. Blindly transfering files can be extremely dangerous...no matter what script allows it to be done.

I could go on about the cons (vs. the pros) of this type of thing, but my point is made.
uuuuuu
I do not encourage this practice because of the apparent attitude of the site towards this practice, but if anyone is interested in the actual logistics involved for hypothetical reasons, or for use with another server, you can find more information about File eXchange Protocol here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FXP
Vrythramax
@uuuuuu

My comments were personal ones and do not reflect the rules of currently allowed behavior, not the attitude of Frihost in general.

It was merely my opinion.
alkutob
yo.hassan wrote:
rapid leech is good really. i used that for transferring big files to my server then download it with DAP. why? not all server lets me use segmented download. its good for own use and files from trusted sources.

Is ( rapid leech ) a free program ?

thank you
pashmina
alkutob wrote:
yo.hassan wrote:

Is ( rapid leech ) a free program ?

thank you

is indeed it is a freeware program.
eliteindia
I tried rapidleech on another hosting service.The problem is every time I try to download a file it shows me a 12kb file.But when I go into my account and see there are two files.One is the 12kb file and the other is the original file.

Another problem with the above host is if the file I wanted to download is >30mb,only 28mb of the file is downloaded and the remaining part is left Crying or Very sad

Can anyone tell me what actually is happening.Is it a bug or a problem with the host Confused
rvec
could be a problem with the host. The host might not allow large uploads. Or the script execution time was too long.
cloudship
Try FlashFXP. It allows you FXP the file from one site to another site, as long as you've got the permission to do that. It is not free, but you can have a free trial for 30 days, as far as I can remember. It is a nice software and very easy to setup and use. And what's more important is, it is able to import many types of favourite site collections of other FTP clients, like leechFTP or CuteFTP, etc. The transmission speed is fine enough for me, since bulletinFTP client is the fastest according to my test and FlashFXP is the second but still fast enough.

Just give a shot and tell us what you find out of it.
eliteindia
Can some one tell me how to increase the script execution time coz I am getting php script timeout error Crying or Very sad
mjsoft
Hi ....

I need to free host allow to unlimit size file ,,

I need it to host the rapidleech script.

Thanks
mjsoft
I Need to alternate script lang. to rapidleech working....
mjsoft
Hi ....

I need to free PHP host allow to unlimit size file ,,

I need it to host the rapidleech script.

Thanks
henri1
where are good rapidlecch there?
Bikerman
I doubt Bondings would wish to set the max filesize to unlimited - that opens the server up to potential problems.
Rapidleech requires the size to be >100MB
I presume you are using it to transfer a site you have on another server ? Why not simply download it to your PC and then zip it and upload to frih? Bondings is away for a few more days and I'm not sure he will see this until then....
truespeed
The original post is 3 years old bikerman.
Bikerman
truespeed wrote:
The original post is 3 years old bikerman.

LOL...quite right - even experienced posters get caught sometimes Smile I think maybe this one has reached lock-time Smile