FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

7 reasons why forums rock?

saratdear
I just wrote an article on my blog about why participating in a forum can not be a bit out of fashion and why forums can be a good idea. It's not certainly the best, and I even don't know whether what I have written is wrong, but please do give your opinions. Smile

Here is the link - http://www.saratsweb.frih.net/?p=27
Vrythramax
I read your blog and I agree with all of your reasons. The only problem many see with forums is that they have to wait for an answer most times. In this day and age of instant gratification and fast foods, not many are willing to wait for anything anymore...alot of people would rather use one of the Instant Messaging services currently available.

For the diehard, or dedicated users, forums will always remain a viable way of interaction with a group of widely diverse people all over the world.
saratdear
Well, that is true, but for me, I had joined a forum when I was relatively new to the internet, so having forum conversations always suits me better. I guess that is also the reason why when I IM my friends I always use,..er..proper english, rather than using IM language bcos its da best Smile

Thanks for the comment, anyway!
poiko123
I agree with what you have said. Also, during breaks from school, I tend to write more thought out posts to keep my mind and writing skills fresh, so my brain doesn't turn to mush.
Cibes
Yeah, what you write is true. My problem with forums - especially rather big ones like FriHost is only that the require a awful lot of time. For me as a poor busy student that sometimes is a serious problem! Crying or Very sad
meet in rio
Weeell...

Firstly, they help me to be more articulate - on paper at least! I can write reasonably good discursive essays, and owe this to play-by-post role-playing games and forums like this one.

Secondly, they force you to develop opinions on controversial issues. I've read/written pages and pages of arguments on issues like abortion, gay adoption, the death penalty and so on, so I'm able to make cogent arguments when I come to discuss such issues in 'real life'.

Thirdly, they're good for moral support and/or advice. If you've got genital herpes or something, you might not want to discuss it with your friends, and a forum is somewhere where you can talk through such issues, get advice and hear others' experience.
catscratches
You can write things instead of saying them. Then you have more time to think of what to say and don't have to feel like a moron.
Vrythramax
catscratches wrote:
You can write things instead of saying them. Then you have more time to think of what to say and don't have to feel like a moron.

I think this statement about sums it up. In a forum we have time to read our words before actually posting them...kind of a pre-meditation. It's hard to look stupid if you have time to view your words before actually posting them.
saratdear
Vrythramax wrote:
catscratches wrote:

I think this statement about sums it up. In a forum we have time to read our words before actually posting them...kind of a pre-meditation. It's hard to look stupid if you have time to view your words before actually posting them.

That is true, you could sort of censor your conversation that you don't have t regret later. But, it still doesn't make me avoid the "ehm"s, and "er"s, and all other breaks and pauses that may come in a normal, face-to-face conversation.
ninjakannon
Vrythramax wrote:
The only problem many see with forums is that they have to wait for an answer most times. In this day and age of instant gratification and fast foods, not many are willing to wait for anything anymore...alot of people would rather use one of the Instant Messaging services currently available.

I think that posting on forums should help increase people's patience, which can't be a bad thing. I am so totally against the way things are going in the modern world in terms of patience, attention span, initiative and such related things! Perhaps, for some people, using forums is actually helping them to improve in these fields.

Using a forum could increase patience for the aforesaid reasons.
Using a forum could increase attention span as one has to read through posts and threads to find something that interests them, to find something to reply to or simply to amuse themselves or learn.
Using a forum could also help to increase initiative, especially one such as this that has a cash system. If someone wants FRIH$, they may have to use their initiative!

I could still add to this list, so it's all good! Very Happy I think the main problem is that if you get too addicted you'll lose your social life. Laughing
darrenpaul
Its quite good, pretty interesting, nice work