FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any much better linux file system ?

blueray
Hi, all

Some background about my question.
While I'am using an old computer as server for sharing my internet. It is a pentium 166 and 96mb of ram and running under windows nt 4.0 and with the wingate as the router software.

The issue was that windows nt required me reboot it about 3-4 days once.
It is an issue to me and want switching to linux so that I haven't turn it off and then on again. On the otherhand, I have using it file service for data storage.

As a bad old experience was I used linux file system (ex2) before that corruped again and again. This is my only concern, otherwise, I can successful transfer it from old windows nt 4 system.

Is there any other file systems other than this such as ex3 or the like would have much better operation experience ?

Thanks
{name here}
Well, ReiserFS might be a good choice for a file system - I've heard good remarks by many people for it. ext3 is more compatible, though.
qscomputing
I assume when you say that your ext2 filesystem was "corrupt" that you mean you got errors when you fscked it. You shouldn't have that sort of problem with ext3 because it is a journalled file system; every time you make a change to the filesystem, it keeps a record in its journal, so if you have a crash it can reconstruct the files without any problems.

HTH.
Arno v. Lumig
Go for ext3 or ReiserFS, or use *BSD
Studio Madcrow
XFS and JFS are the best "server" filesystems available for Linux. XFS was donated by SGI, who used it as the main FS for their own brand of Unix called IRIX, while IBM donated JFS (which is also the default filesystem for IBM's Unix, known as AIX)
Grom
I use ZFS, official support is on kernels above 2.6.22 . This is standtard fle system from Solaris.

More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS
corey
If you don't want to make any other changes to your Linux box, then I'd go with EXT3, if I were you. You only have to add the journal and you're good to go. HERE is a good place to see how. And here is a good place to tune it to get it faster: HERE

If you're starting fresh, then ReiserFS or EXT3. I've been using Reiser since version 3.0 and its solid.
JayBee
I use Ext3 and ReiserFS and have no problems.

When I switch of the computer without shutdown/halt command or when I test something and it response me with kernel panic, after new system start and fsck is everything ok.

My new server with ReiserFS runs about 67days without restart and still no problems.
friuser
maybe it's just your hard drive that is causing the problems? i would try one of the smaller linux distros like dsl, puppy, or maybe smoothwall, ipcop.

They are reliable and the file system is incredibly stable.
blueray
Oh, Thanks all.

So, what do you think should I go freebsd or fedora or others.
I just used redhat 9 before. As I haven't experience with other linux dist.

Looking some online site state that freebsd is more secure than others.
And much of the online site were contructed with it.
mehulved
I'd recommend Debian for the kind of machine you have. FreeBSD will be a little more tougher to start with IMHO.
And since you don't have really huge and complex requirements I don't think there'd be much difference in using linux or *BSD's.
Fedora Core will be a good option too as you've worked with RH before or try CentOS, RHEL based, which is more geared towards servers.
Studio Madcrow
mehulved wrote:
I'd recommend Debian for the kind of machine you have. FreeBSD will be a little more tougher to start with IMHO.
And since you don't have really huge and complex requirements I don't think there'd be much difference in using linux or *BSD's.
Fedora Core will be a good option too as you've worked with RH before or try CentOS, RHEL based, which is more geared towards servers.

FreeBSD isn't unnecessarily any "harder" than Debian or Slackware. OpenBSD, on the other hand is hard as heck to work with (but is, after VMS, just about the least hackable OS around)
corey
Fedora would likely be too much OS for that system. The recommendation of Debian would be good. FreeBSD would fly on that system (as would NetBSD, but its less mature). You could try Fedora, as Red Hat did work, but with those system specs, you're better off with a "lighter" system than any default install, which is why the recommendation of Debian - the tools are there, but you don't have to install everything under the sun.

Its been a few weeks. Have you done anything with it yet?
mehulved
Studio Madcrow wrote:
FreeBSD isn't unnecessarily any "harder" than Debian or Slackware.
Maybe the fact that i am more versed with linux has made me have that opinion. Anyways I haven't used FreeBSD for long enough to comment anymore on it.
fiendskull9
i use reiserFS on my server

i'd reccomend ext3 for everyday use though

JFS is looking to be good when its finished completely (here meaning stable)
kuyman
The only real difference I've noted in real life usage of ReiserFS and ext3 is that ext3 makes you check the file system every once in a while. ReiserFS is perfectly stable and I haven't ever run into any problems using it.

Just on a side note, don't run FAT16 on your flash drive. Shocked
fiendskull9
Quote:
Just on a side note, don't run FAT16 on your flash drive.

amen to that...
Studio Madcrow
I think XFS is probably the "best" Linux file system... Reiser has known design problems and ext3 is just a kludge to add journaling to ext2... That said, just about ALL the Linux file systems are better than NTFS...
fiendskull9
hmmm
i may have to try xfs
the gentoo wiki made it sound as if it was a bit unstable

im definately not liking UFS on my freebsd box, and im trying to figure out how to change the fs during install (it was my first freebsd install, and i didnt want to screw anything up)
dwikristianto
Quote:
It is a pentium 166 and 96mb of ram

with that hardware specification, i recommend to small distro with special functions as router.
if the distro support one of ext3 or reiserfs, IT'S ENOUGH.
LostOverThere
dwikristianto wrote:
Quote:
It is a pentium 166 and 96mb of ram

with that hardware specification, i recommend to small distro

...like Slackware?
corey
fiendskull9 wrote:
hmmm
i may have to try xfs
the gentoo wiki made it sound as if it was a bit unstable...
The reason that there is caution with XFS is because of its aggressive nature, which can result in great throughput, but you could lose data in a power failure. That's the caution. If you have a UPS or really stable power grid, you should be fine with it. With reads and writes of the same data, though, I have found that its not faster than EXT3 or Reiser 3.x and definitely slower than Reiser 4.
Gustaf
I use XFS and I have no problem with it.
Arno v. Lumig
Gustaf wrote:
I use XFS and I have no problem with it.

Well, did you ever have a crash while doing a lot of file transfers?
That's like saying smoking is safe because you don't have cancer yet (which is quite a bad metaphor, sorry)
Gustaf
"For the moment", I have no problem with XFS and it works fine since two months.
darthrevan
I am currently using Arch Linux with the ZFS file system. I am loving it, it is fast and also stable. I just recently have gotten it to work, following the Arch Linux wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_ZFS

I would recommend using ZFS, it has a lot of nice features and so far I have not had a issue with it. Though of course you need to use it on a 64-bit system. Installing ZFS on a i386 is possible, but they recommend not to, since there may be issues.