FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cannot able to change ip in windows xp

internetjobs
i am using windows xp with sp1. i cannot able to cange my ip address. when i click my local area network, properties of that will not coming.
Animal
What IP address are you trying to change? Your "internet" IP, or the IP address of your computer on a local network?

If you mean your "internet" IP address, this is entirely controlled by your ISP - you may have a static IP, and the only way to have it changed is to contact your ISP and ask them to do it for you.

If you mean that you want to change your computer's IP address on a Local Area Network, this website should be of some help to you.
blueray
Personally, it is much better if you could post more detailed information (such as screen capture ) about your issues so that others could help you quickly.

( If you wish to post a screen capture. Simply you could press the printscreen key for whole desktop and, alt-printscreen for only the active windows. )
internetjobs
it is a small office network of 10 systems. there is no internet ip.. only local ip. i can't able to right click the local area connection, i cannot able to enter properties... immediately it is not responding... i tried many times..
blueray
How your network was configured ?

Is it a workgroup or Active Directory domain ?

Do you have modifyed the local policy before with gpedit.msc ?

Any management software installed ?

Virus or spyware and CPU usage ?
sush
If nothing works, just go to device manager (right-click My Computer) and uninstall your network card. Restart and Windows should detect it again and install it (you might need the driver disk). Then set it up again.

But there's no point doing all this if its a virus, RAM or CPU issue. Please post the RAM and CPU usage (as well as your config).
iyepes
If reinstalling your LAN adapter doesn't work, it's important that you check you PC with some antivirus, some virus like blaster and sasser have collateral effects, like making innacessible LAN adapter properties.
fadirocks
sush wrote:
If nothing works, just go to device manager (right-click My Computer) and uninstall your network card. Restart and Windows should detect it again and install it (you might need the driver disk). Then set it up again.

But there's no point doing all this if its a virus, RAM or CPU issue. Please post the RAM and CPU usage (as well as your config).

That usually works for me too Very Happy

Also be aware that Microsoft drivers might be more trouble than you think, so if you get the Ethernets updated drivers from the manufacturer website probably works better!

I had major problems with wireless drivers form windows XP update page Mad so I went with IBM drivers and ignored stupid MS message these drivers are not digitally signed and they worked better & don't have any problems with BSOD and I did same thing for my classmates laptops too
billgertz
login to the local administrator then check if you can change it there.
internetjobs
did u loging with administrative rights...then try for netsh in comman prompt..
use .. "netsh interface ip add "local area connection" 'ip' 'default gateway'
orcaz
Ur administrator probably set a static ip address for ur system.
internetjobs
check that in which credentials.. u r loged in.
amineelasry
check your network adapter installation or login as administrator

you can try a TCP/IP Winsock repaire ..
hunnyhiteshseth
Does this problem comes in all computers or just in one or two?