FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which of these layouts is good?

Which of these is good? (Check Post for more info)
Blue
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Orange
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

imagefree
Hi friends!! these are two pages designed my me

1) Blue (This is the second page i ever designed)
2) Orange (This is the first page i ever designed)

What do you think which is good layout. Please reply and or select your choice.

If you want to give me useful info, hints or to say something else, please reply here. I appriciate in advance.

Thanks.
Tex_Arcana
I didn't see either one. After a full minute of watching blue trying to load I stopped it. It's too slow loading. Most people wouldn't have waited as long as I did for it to come up. Orange loaded faster, well almost. When it was done there was only a blank white screen.
Sphaerenkern
I can't say someting about the speed, my internet is to fast Very Happy
The both look a bit too bright and flashy. Like cheap plastic, you know? I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks so, but you should try making it look more noble.
imagefree
Quote:
I didn't see either one. After a full minute of watching blue trying to load I stopped it. It's too slow loading. Most people wouldn't have waited as long as I did for it to come up. Orange loaded faster, well almost. When it was done there was only a blank white screen.

Thanks for your reply.
But this site doesnt work properly with IE. So, please use Opera or Firefox while previewing.

Thanks for your reply.
GB
I liked the blue one better I suppose. However, it was mostly because the orange is very vibrant making my eye very tired just looking at it.

What really matters is what this is for. There is no content, so I don't really see the point yet. Remember, content is king. It needs to drive the design, not the other way around.

Check back in when you have some good content, and then show us how you want to display that content.
Digital Thoth
The funny thing about something not working in IE is that while Firefox and Opera are becomming more popular, IE is still number one. You might want to ensure they are more welcoming to someone who uses IE, mayhaps another site or something along those lines.
imagefree
Quote:
The funny thing about something not working in IE is that while Firefox and Opera are becomming more popular, IE is still number one. You might want to ensure they are more welcoming to someone who uses IE, mayhaps another site or something along those lines.

Yes obviously. But i dont know, neither there is, any problem with the code. Its just the IE's inner problem.
The actuall reason of IE's popularity is that it is built in in Windows. No most of the people dont try to get a new browser even if it is free, maybe because they dont know the power of Opera and Firefox. Well i personally preffer Opera.

Quote:
There is no content, so I don't really see the point yet. Remember, content is king. It needs to drive the design, not the other way around.

Bro!! i am going to use my site as an image gallary.
Does this layout suit it?
{name here}
The gradients make the sites look too gaudy. Use gradients sparingly. Rather, have a light color scheme(white/off-white background with light blues, purples, and greens in the foreground) with solid colors. It makes the site look much cleaner. Avoid tables.

In additon if you want to make a more gradient involved design, make it have a border around the wrapper, and make the wrapper's edges fancy. Menus should have solid color if horizontal, and the content should have a solid background with a single gradient or image to the left or right. Don't overkill the images - using only three to four can make an awsome web design while cutting down on KB and making it look more clean.

Good examples of how to make your design look not too gaudy:
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/
http://web.archive.org/web/20060111103427/haiku-os.org/learn.php
^ NOTE: Some good effects are missing, including the javascript menus, from the design, unfortunately
http://support.borland.com/index.jspa <- Since it keeps most of it's old design that's pretty well done at the time of viewing
chrismen
I actually like orange more but you gotta work on both of them.
Mannix
Softer might be better... ...Both are pretty offensive. ...Not from an art perspective, but from one of brilliance. (Ouch.) It's just quite brilliant.
imagefree
i have improved my site a lot.

visit http://www.imagefree.frih.net/ now and give remarks. (Please dont click on any link on my site. I have not yet made them functional)

Thanks
Tartaglia
I liked the second one much more. I know it suggests other browsers, but I just used IE, and the "orange" one appeared as Blue. Care to explain how Browser differences changed the entire color scheme of the page when you can with ease, just use some HTML and CSS to make it appear the same in every browser?
Azmo
I dont like any, first of all, it's just to much.. those buttons is anoying.. second, way to birght on my screen, third, it looks like a million other sites, forth, javascript?

try to keep it clean, it's not clean atm.. it's a big mess imo.. no hard feelings, cause I mean no harm, just beeing honest..

would love to see it againa fter u upgrade and fix it.
imagefree
Actually i new designing for a long time but it is first time for me to design a site.

Azmo thanks for your directions. I will, in next update, consider your words.

Thanks (Hope you will continue helping me)
Azmo
np at all.. just tell me if you want any graphic help and I'll help you sort it out
imagefree
i am using Fireworks for images. Its really a good software but not that much good to handle Text on images. I tried to make some ads in it but the text is really looking anoying on the images.

Azmo!!! in which software you made your signature?
Azmo
My signature image is made in Photoshop 7.0 .. nothing rly special about that one tho.. 30min work..
xorcist
I think the 2nd layout is better the first one they both have too much blue in them you should mixed the colors around a little bit more.
WallBase
mhm i like the orange.. its not only blue, some colors make ppls like the site..but this is some great sites!!! i made my own to ^^,)
{name here}
imagefree wrote:
i am using Fireworks for images. Its really a good software but not that much good to handle Text on images. I tried to make some ads in it but the text is really looking anoying on the images.

I use fireworks to makes some decent photoshops. Text usually isn't my issue. It's the lack of filters, but usually I don't need to use filters.
Azmo
{name here} wrote:
imagefree wrote:

I use fireworks to makes some decent photoshops. Text usually isn't my issue. It's the lack of filters, but usually I don't need to use filters.

Rarley use any filters for my text either.. but that pretty much depens on what you want Smile
kerryworkman
imagefree wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for your reply.
But this site doesnt work properly with IE. So, please use Opera or Firefox while previewing.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know if you fixed the problem or what but I am using I.E. and had no problems at all viewing any part of it. As for the design ... between the two I preferred the orange. The blue was just too much, better balance in the orange, but I think you need to play around with the design a little. It is true that the content is far more important than the layout, but it never hurts to look good doing it. Smile
imagefree
Friends!!!!!!!!

After a lot of hard working i have again changed the look A-Z.

The new page is at

http://www.imagefree.frih.net/

Please tell me how is it this time.
Also give your comments for improvement.

Thanks.
Azmo
as I said in ur other topic, alot better, but it feels abit overdesigned.. all shadows and stuff.. ye I do admit that shadows n stuff can look cool.. but it needs to be abit cleaner imo..
kerryworkman
imagefree wrote:
Friends!!!!!!!!

After a lot of hard working i have again changed the look A-Z.

The new page is at

http://www.imagefree.frih.net/

Please tell me who is it this time.
Also give your comments for improvement.

Thanks.

I like that one much better than either of the samples you had posted before. A large improvement on looks. Smile
{name here}
Much better. Be sure to use the copyright symbol(&copy;)! Try a div based design as well, since it seems to me that it's going to be easy and benefit you since you have a horizontal menu.
Azmo
{name here} wrote:
Much better. Be sure to use the copyright symbol(&copy;)! Try a div based design as well, since it seems to me that it's going to be easy and benefit you since you have a horizontal menu.

not harder using divs even if you use a vertical menu tho.. it's the same <ul> tags anyways
imagefree
kerryworkman wrote:
imagefree wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know if you fixed the problem or what but I am using I.E. and had no problems at all viewing any part of it. As for the design ... between the two I preferred the orange. The blue was just too much, better balance in the orange, but I think you need to play around with the design a little. It is true that the content is far more important than the layout, but it never hurts to look good doing it. Smile

Yes i have removed all the problems (almost) Thanks God.

{name here} wrote:

Yes I know there is an option and i also like Divs but it create some problem when i try to use it with tables. In my orange website i faced this problem that i cant vertically allign my things on site if i use background and layout in table and contents in Divs. (Different browsers handle Tables differently)

Azmo wrote:
{name here} wrote:

not harder using divs even if you use a vertical menu tho.. it's the same <ul> tags anyways

Azmo can you please explain how?
Azmo
explain how you make a vertical <ul> ? ehm, ok.. I'll post an example for you, since that's easier, and then you can ask me questions about it..

HTML

Code:
<ul id="menu">

<li><a href="index.html" class="active"><strong>HOME</strong></a></li>
<li><a href="ommig.html"><strong>ABOUT ME</strong></a></li>
<li><a href="portfolio.html"><strong>PORTFOLIO</strong></a></li>
<li><a href="kontakt.html"><strong>CONTACT</strong></a></li>

</ul>

CSS

Code:
#menu  {
   float:left;
   list-style-type:none;
   overflow:hidden;
   margin:0;
   padding:0;
   width:200px;
   height:148px;
   background:#fff url('') left top;
   border:0px solid #000;
}

#menu ul {
   margin:0px;
   padding:0px;
   list-style-type:none;
}
#menu li  {
   background:#fff url('') left top;
   margin-top:2px;
}
#menu li a {
   height:30px;
   width:200px;
   color:#2895D3;
   font-family:Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
   font-size:20px;
   background:none;
   padding:0px;
   padding-left:15px;
   padding-top:5px;
   text-decoration:none;
}
#menu li a:hover {
   background:#2895D3;
   color:#fff;
}
#menu li a.active {
   background:#eee;
   color:#2895D3;
}
#menu a.active:hover {
   background:#2895D3;
   color:#fff;
}

I did just copy/paste a vertical <ul> I had.. have fun, and ask if you need to Smile