FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whats the best PHP server?

knight_frost
I am a newbie in database system... can anyone tell wats a PHP and what is the best PHP server for it?
Roald
Apache with MySQL for the database, they're just like PHP freeware.
simplyw00x
PHP is a web programming language. There is only one PHP 'server', called 'PHP'. In order to use this you'll (normally) need a web server as well, like apache, and a database would be nice too (like mySQL). Frihost provides all 3.
maeglin20
I think, Apache and Mysql is the best...
sabe
So just to make sure. If I have a license for a server, I have an "old" MS 2000 server. I can add a php language, like MySQL onto it and have a PHP server?

Is that all I have to do? It almost seems too easy. What about hardware. What would you suggest as the basic stats for a server for a small use? I will only have 500 or so clients. I am trying to build an Intranet for my school. Does anybody know a good resource for allowing it to stream too? Question
Stubru Freak
sabe wrote:
So just to make sure. If I have a license for a server, I have an "old" MS 2000 server. I can add a php language, like MySQL onto it and have a PHP server?

Is that all I have to do? It almost seems too easy. What about hardware. What would you suggest as the basic stats for a server for a small use? I will only have 500 or so clients. I am trying to build an Intranet for my school. Does anybody know a good resource for allowing it to stream too? Question

No. You just install PHP on the server. MySQL is a database. But anyway, do you really think you'll need PHP when you don't even know what it is?
vinx_18
There are bundles of LAMP which stands for Linux Apache Mysql Php or WAMP which stands for Windows Apache Mysql Php on the net available... just research about it ...Smile
Diablosblizz
If your going to start a personal server with everything go with Xampp..

It includes these main features:

1. Apache
2. MySQL
3. Php
4. Ftp Server
5. SMTP server

Im using it, but its just for testing before I put it on Frihost.

HtH.
sabe
Stubru Freak wrote:
sabe wrote:

No. You just install PHP on the server. MySQL is a database. But anyway, do you really think you'll need PHP when you don't even know what it is?

I'm a teacher and am looking into e-learning stuff. Yes... I am very ignorant about this but you have to start somewhere. The software talked about PHP and SQL database. I want to find out how the system is set up so I can find what problems I will encounter before I jump into it. I find many people that don't do some research first find themselves in the middle of a project and realize it was too big to try. Or that they are hacked too easily by those "in the know".

In an attempt to make my lessons more interactive for my students I am doing my initial research. Any suggestions how I should start learning about this stuff?
Stubru Freak
sabe wrote:
Stubru Freak wrote:
sabe wrote:

I'm a teacher and am looking into e-learning stuff. Yes... I am very ignorant about this but you have to start somewhere. The software talked about PHP and SQL database. I want to find out how the system is set up so I can find what problems I will encounter before I jump into it. I find many people that don't do some research first find themselves in the middle of a project and realize it was too big to try. Or that they are hacked too easily by those "in the know".

In an attempt to make my lessons more interactive for my students I am doing my initial research. Any suggestions how I should start learning about this stuff?

So you have some software that needs a PHP and MySQL installation? First, you probably shouldn't use Microsoft's server. I'm not sure it can handle PHP, and a lot of software expects to be running on Apache. An easy way to install Apache, PHP and MySQL all at once is easyphp. It installs all three for you. For 500 clients, even an old home computer could probably do, so there aren't really hardware requirements.
What do you mean with "allowing it to stream"?
Mgccl
LAMP combination are good..
but currently I found lighthttpd is very fast and good for average usage. I would recommend replace apache with that Smile