FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wath should my new PC contain

WRC Meister
im soon to buy a new PC and got some specs and would like some ideas and so on:

Must handle Oblivon, HL2, Gmod and CS: Source
Must have a INTEL processer
Must NOT have any version of a ATI card(They Suck)
Must have atleast 2GB of RAM
must have atleast 7200RPM HDD with min. 120 GB

thanks, my curret rig is(Parents PC!):

2.6 GHZ Celeron
512 MB SD-Ram from Kingston(Think)
Asus n6200(Modified Nvidia)
crappy DVD and good CD burner
and a hell slow 5400RPM 40GB HDD

it runs oblivion at 0.00001-10 FPS if im lucky
psycosquirrel
I can spec you out a system in a matter of minutes.

Do you know enough about computers to build your own?

And finally (and most importantly) HOW MUCH ARE YOU SPENDING?

Sorry, it annoys me when people ask for help with spec'ing a system without a price range Laughing
WRC Meister
i got no price range, because im not in US so i cant come up with a good value, under 3000$ i would say, maybe less
Helios
Well, I`d suggest this:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
CPU cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe
Memory: Corsair 2GB 800MHz CL4 Dominator
Case: Lian-Li Aluminum Midl-Tower PC-B20B
DVD Burner: Sony AW-G170A X18
Power Supply: Enermax Infinity 720W
Fast HDD for games: Wester Digital WD1500ADFD Raptor 150GB
Slower HDD for storage: Western Digital 500GB SATA II

This should be under 3000 USD, but still a very powerful PC.
WRC Meister
thanks, but the price dosent matter, also i dont need more then 200GB storage, and i hate asus, got a DVD drive that cant read DVD´s
psycosquirrel
Go with:

e6600 or wait until June (price drop then) and get the QX6700 or another quad
2Gb Corsair or OCZ RAM
Gigabyte GA965p-DS3
NVIDIA 7900GS or NVIDIA 8800GTS
Seasonic 500w PSU (or similar)
Lite-On DVD Burner
150Gb WD Raptor (it is worth it, it is FAST)
Whatever case you want (the Lian Li recommendation is good. They make some great cases)

You may want to go with some good aftermarket CPU cooling, Helios recommended the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, and for good reason. It is by far the best aircooler on the market right now...

If you have any questions, let me know.
Jaan
I recommend wait a bit. The next version of Windows (after Vista) will require a 64 bit os and will not support the Core Duos of today. That'll be in a while so you'll probably end up purchasing a new pc then.
DecayClan
Why MUST Intel, why NO ATI, why HATE asus>>? lol, your way of judging things...

Anyway, if you say that you don't need much space, then why don't you get a HDD with 10000RPM >?
WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR X 150GB WD1500AHFD 10000RPM SATA CRYSTAL CLEAR

If you are planning to spend all that money, then wait for the price drop as psycosquirrel said, in order to get a Quad Core CPU.

I would suggest though a larger PSU than 500w.+

Jaan wrote:
I recommend wait a bit. The next version of Windows (after Vista) will require a 64 bit os and will not support the Core Duos of today. That'll be in a while so you'll probably end up purchasing a new pc then.

What do you mean? If he gets this CPU which is 64bits, and a VGA which supports DirectX 10 ( Nvidia 8xxx), i believe that he will have no problem... ALthough i do believe that you should wait a little bit
WRC Meister
thanks for the feedback, for chassi, i have been thinking about one made of plexi-glass(=100 invisible) and heck alot of didoeds
calicamper
If price is no concern, why not use dual Geforce 8800's? The system I would go with:

Motherboard: nforce 680i S775 SLI
Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93GHz
Heatsink/fan: Noctua NH-U 12
RAM: Corsair 4GB PC8500 DDR2
Graphics: 2x GeForce 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E SLI Mode
Hard Drive: 150Gb Western Digital Raptor
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700-Watt Power Supply
Case: Thermaltake Black Kandalf LCS Full-Tower ATX*
Optional: Ageia PhysX 128MB GDDR3 Physics Accelerator**

* A little overboard, ok maybe alot. But a liquid cooling system built in, how sweet is that?
** Not used heavily yet, but will be in the next few years. Helps with graphics, makes games run smoother but not really needed yet. UT 2007 will use it tho....
Helios
lol @ the poster above.

What a waste of money!
Apart from that, he`ll also need at least a 24 inch screen with those cards.
But, whatever... It is a very powerful machine though Smile
toptyg
you do not post how many money u have for this buy
Intel Core 2 Duo
+ MB Asus P5LD2-V
+video 7900 nVidia
+250*2 WD SATA2
calicamper
Quote:
What a waste of money!

He said he wanted to spend 3 grand... Plus it was kinda fun looking into all the rediculously expensive stuff.
fadirocks
Laughing but nobody mentioned if you put up some type of RAID too or maybe different type of HD
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=dcf7af4bb4bed010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US
Helios
calicamper wrote:
Quote:
What a waste of money!

He said he wanted to spend 3 grand... Plus it was kinda fun looking into all the rediculously expensive stuff.

Yeah, I know what you mean Wink
Sometimes I go to one of those shops and build a really expensive rig just for fun Very Happy

fadirocks, damn, that`s a really fast disk there Shocked
psycosquirrel
Jaan-
Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are completely different architectures. All the systems that have been mentioned in this thread are Core 2 Duos, which is fully 64-bit compatible.

Calicamper-
The PhyX cards do nothing. It's a waste of a PCI slot. He would be better off with an X-Fi or a TV tuner by far than a PhyX card that will just sit there and do nothing... Other than that, that's a REALLY good system Laughing
WRC Meister
Quote:
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:44 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If price is no concern, why not use dual Geforce 8800's? The system I would go with:

Motherboard: nforce 680i S775 SLI
Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93GHz
Heatsink/fan: Noctua NH-U 12
RAM: Corsair 4GB PC8500 DDR2
Graphics: 2x GeForce 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E SLI Mode
Hard Drive: 150Gb Western Digital Raptor
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700-Watt Power Supply
Case: Thermaltake Black Kandalf LCS Full-Tower ATX*
Optional: Ageia PhysX 128MB GDDR3 Physics Accelerator**

* A little overboard, ok maybe alot. But a liquid cooling system built in, how sweet is that?
** Not used heavily yet, but will be in the next few years. Helps with graphics, makes games run smoother but not really needed yet. UT 2007 will use it tho....

thanks, but about the physics thing, will it help Gmod 10 or some other stuff??

and, just adding some other stuff, it needs analog tv-tuner along with a HD for games(160GB) and one for F1 and other stuff(200GB+)
[/quote]
nilsmo
I don't see why everyone likes such exppensive video cards. Get a middle one and save a lot of money.
Arno v. Lumig
nilsmo wrote:
I don't see why everyone likes such exppensive video cards. Get a middle one and save a lot of money.

Because they'll give you more FPS then your monitor can display, d'oh? Laughing
psycosquirrel
Some people like the best. Not to mention a $300 graphics card is at least 2x better than a $150 one. You get what you pay for, to a certain extent.

WRC - The phyx card won't do ANYTHING to improve performance in GMod 10, or any Valve game that is out right now. The phyx card only helps in games specifically designed to use it.

For the tuner, get a decent Hauppauge one, whatever one has the features you need.

As for the secondary drives, get a WD Caviar or a Samsung Spinpoint. Both are excellent drives. Be sure to get SATA2 ones, with 16Mb of cache for performance.
WRC Meister
okay, thanks, i probaly just anyway ask in the PC store nearby
ForceRun
psycosquirrel wrote:
Go with:

e6600 or wait until June (price drop then) and get the QX6700 or another quad
2Gb Corsair or OCZ RAM
Gigabyte GA965p-DS3
NVIDIA 7900GS or NVIDIA 8800GTS
Seasonic 500w PSU (or similar)
Lite-On DVD Burner
150Gb WD Raptor (it is worth it, it is FAST)
Whatever case you want (the Lian Li recommendation is good. They make some great cases)

You may want to go with some good aftermarket CPU cooling, Helios recommended the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, and for good reason. It is by far the best aircooler on the market right now...

If you have any questions, let me know.

Yeah go with all that it is a smoking setup for me I would also add some 500Gb Hard Drives
daney
At this time this is the real computer you need.

Laptop or DeskTop?

Laptop:
Processeur--->Intel centrino D
Memory------>2 Go
VGA--------- >ATI
Firewire
Wifi
Vista Capable

Desktop:
Processeur:--->Intel Pentium D
Memory-------->2 Go
Vista Capable
Firewire

Intel Centrino or Pentium D 'cause the new generation of soft will be on that future.
Dual core 2 micropro in one so double your speed and works.

For the HDD it depend on u.
ForceRun
I don't know about all that, Nvidia just release their new GeForce 8 M's for Laptops, so if you got the cash that is the way to go. I'm a desktop man all the way, so the GeForce 8 and Conroe is the only way to fly right now.
Helios
daney wrote:
At this time this is the real computer you need.

Laptop or DeskTop?

Laptop:
Processeur--->Intel centrino D
Memory------>2 Go
VGA--------- >ATI
Firewire
Wifi
Vista Capable

Desktop:
Processeur:--->Intel Pentium D
Memory-------->2 Go
Vista Capable
Firewire

Intel Centrino or Pentium D 'cause the new generation of soft will be on that future.
Dual core 2 micropro in one so double your speed and works.

For the HDD it depend on u.

P-D for desktop? You're not updated. Core 2 Duo and Quad are the latest technologies. D generation is the older one.
Also ATI card is not really recommended nowadays due to it's week performance compared to nVidia's latest 8 series.
Please fix your watch, we are in 2007. Razz
tekanubis
I agree with Helios on that, do you live in a third world country perhaps? Anyways, I'd like to also mention to get as much L2 cach memory on the CPU as possible. I think you can get 4mb? Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you go with a laptop and AREN'T looking to run Vista, I say just get a macbook pro. It has pretty good specs. If you do want vista get a dell xps or the alienware aurora since price is no object.
Helios
Yeah, I wouldn't go for a Vista laptop anyway, because the very expensive laptops aren't always very mobile (low battery life).

And yes, you can get 4mb. But smaller cache size isn't really going to deliver a huge hit on game performance.
WRC Meister
ATI?? that guy dident look at my first post, but i still dont know which rig to buy
psycosquirrel
Ugh. Let's make this easy.

How much do you want to spend and I will tell you what is BEST for that much, assuming you are going to build the system yourself...
WRC Meister
i got no limit, but max 5000$ i have to say, im looking for a fast rig, one that secures me for ages, so i can run future games, up to 2 years or more, but thanks for the intrest in my tropic, once again, thanks
asianwannabe999
rofl daney = n00b sorry man what are you talking about...

You've increased your budget from 3 to 5000. That's quite a jump.

With 5 grand you easily do a sli-88gtx setup w/ a quad intel like calicamper was saying previously. Aren't the prices on the q's dropping next month or something? And go ahead and watercool the system. Why not, just go for two 24" widescreens too while your at it. And a leather executive chair w/ massaging controls.

Edit:

Just remembered, I saw on Tom's Hardware doing a review about it or something... some of the mobo manufacturers are selling 2-cpu mobo's for people who want to have an 8-core intel quad x 2 system. Don't know how much that mobo would cost.
WRC Meister
well, i thought about running dual monitors, so i can play a game on the internet and edit site at the other, and yes, im think of running SLI cards, but the one will be a cheap, low heat, and the other high performance card

thanks for all that replyed, now i got something in head and will maybe create a new thread on what parts to choose
munkey_boy
It should contain:
Motherboard: Ask the store keeper which motherboard he recommends that will support your hardware. Make sure it's PCI-E and SATAII

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Processor, 4MB L2 Cache, 2.67 GHz LGA775, FSB 1066MHz or wait until the June price drop and get a Quad Core as suggested.

GFX Card: Gigabyte GF 8800GTX Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3, Dual Link DVI, HDTV, PCI Express X16, 612MHz/2160MHz <--- Expensive. ($1,175.00 AUD)

RAM: G.Skill 4 GB (2GB x 2) F2-6400CL6D-4GBMQ (DDR2 800) 6-6-6-18 (4GB and cheap.)

Hard Drive: WD 320GB 7200rpm 16Mb Cache SATAII (WD = Western Digital)

Monitor: CMV 221D Black 22" Widescreen LCD 5ms 800:1 DVI

Then you will want to get the other small stuff like; Case, Sound Card (If you want surround sound.), Gigabit Network Card (Unless the motherboard already has it.) and it would also be smart to buy some cooling items.

Edit: Should be around your $3000 price range.