FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Voice

Bannik
so we always get Best Drummer, Guitarist etc but what about Best Voice
any genre any style etc

i'll start
Freddy Mercury - if you dont know his group wiki it.
Axl Rose - if you dont know dont post here
Brian Johnson - ac/dc
catscratches
Shane Told - Silverstein
achene
Well i love Freddie's voice as well.

But i think it depends on what your taste is like. For instance i like Timo Kotipelto of Stratovarius' voice - which theres a lot of people who would really hate.

- Achene
Tatsumaru
Matt Barlow (ex- Iced Earth)
Andi Deris (Helloween)
Jari Maaenpa (Wintersun)

My personal favorites...
jayrelle
Ill go for

Freddy Mercury (Queen)
Bert McCraken (The Used)
and I forgot his name, The Dashboard Confessionals Vocalist.. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Helios
Well, the truly best vocalists have been stated already, so here are some unusual (for the general audience) vocalists:

Dan Swanö (Edge of Sanity) - vocal god.
Ihsahn (Emperor) - vocal god.
Vintersorg (Vintersorg, Borknagar) - vocal god.

Helge Stang (Equilibrium) - great rough vocals.
Cristiano Borchi (Stormlord) - rough vocal god.

Added video clips too...
Gilgamesh
Best general voice and technique:

Freddie Mercury.

Best Heavy Metal voice:

Mathias Blad (Falconer)
Chalchihuitlicue
My favorite vocalists would have to be Kaya (Ex-Schwarz Stein), Gackt, Klaha (Ex-Malice Mizer), Asagi (D), and Sarah Brightman. I think they all have amazing and powerful voices. I also really like Tarja (I think her name was?) of Nightwish, but I haven't heard anything about her since she left Nightwish.

I tend to like vocalists with really strong, operatic voices.
spaz-o
Christina Agrulira. I know, pop artist with a pretty bad image and reputation. Shows wayyyyy too much skin for the innoncent eyes of the general youth public to which she aspires to appeal to. Too much make up, oversexed and generally part of the pop culture that we've learned to shun, but day-um she has a great voice.

Also Hayley from Paramore, just cause I love Paramore. Male vocalists are generally what I prefer, but they fail to impress me.
lastlegion
Bono, Billy Joe Armstrong and Bon Jovi have the best voices Smile

I think Bono really adds soul to his songs...you should listen to "One" or any of U2's songs to know what I am talkin bout
gtherockgod
My favorite has to be Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth. The guy has amazing range. He can go from deep growls to clean melodies in an instant, and his clean range is amazing.
clydejaw
Best voice would be the lead singer from MUSE, Matt Bellamy.

He's just so incredible with his opera fused with rock and metal! it's amazing what he can do with his voice mixed with electronics!! they are probably one of the best live bands out there... If you haven't seen them live then your totally missing out!!! >.<!!!
Ducksteina
Without a doubt Jack Johnson!
Just a beautiful and cool voice - could listen to him all day long...
mialynavahy
christina aguilera
mariah carey
eric clapton
ThornsOfSorrow
Tatsumaru wrote:
Matt Barlow (ex- Iced Earth)

I definitely agree there. I'm not as big of an Iced Earth fan as I used to be, but I've always been impressed by the emotion that Barlow conveys through his singing.

I also enjoy:
-Roy Khan of Kamelot, who could have easily become an opera singer
-Russel Allen of Symphony X
-Jorn Lande (formerly of Masterplan)
-Silvio Massaro of Vanishing Point
-Marcela Bovio of Stream of Passion

Last, I have to agree with Helios that Dan Swanö is indeed amazing. His voice is incredibly versatile to the point where it is simply mind-blowing. If presented with both his harsh vocals and deep, clean vocals, most people would never guess that they're both sung by the same person.
AustralianReject182
Hmmmmm, Aside from all the old singers with great voices. I would say one of the best contemporary male singers is Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy. He has a really nice sound, range, and he can nail that falsetto voice to a T!

For a female voice, i will go with what some else said and say hayley from Paramore, they rock.

Tyson Ritter from the All American Reject is a mad vocalist in my opinion aswell as great personality.
Runthornet
hands down for me is elizabeth fraser (cocteau twins)

i think she has so much control over her voice and
sings in a way that you cant understand her words
hehe which totally suits me as i never listen to
any lyrics of any song..i think of it as another
instrument Smile
thelimpkid
I'd go for:
Axl Rose
Brian Johnson
Eddie van Halen
Fred Durst

Probably because those are my favourite groups too..
Manntis
I'd have to say Freddy Mercury and The Beatles, because they are the only people/bands IMO that can harmonize with the music almost perfectly.
markolino
Nicolas of Dream theater
spaz-o
AustralianReject182 wrote:
Hmmmmm, Aside from all the old singers with great voices. I would say one of the best contemporary male singers is Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy. He has a really nice sound, range, and he can nail that falsetto voice to a T!

For a female voice, i will go with what some else said and say hayley from Paramore, they rock.

Tyson Ritter from the All American Reject is a mad vocalist in my opinion aswell as great personality.

Toooo right they do.

I'm also gonna say Andrew (I think that's his name) from Jack's Mannequin and Brad from Five Times August. Brad has a way of making me completely calm and mellow, and I love that. He's got a soft voice and goes great low or high.

Not to mention he can play amazing guitar, so lots of points for him.
ainieas
I'd go with -

Alex Band - The Calling
Axl Rose - Guns n' Roses
Jason Wade - Lifehouse
Raine Maida - Our Lady Peace
Kurt Cobain - Nirvana
Daniel Johns - Silverchair

Edit:

Also, Dolores O’Riordan - The Cranberries
.you.make.my.heart.happy.
Well I have a large span of music I listen to and some of them of my favorite singers would have to be:

-Freddy Mercury
-Christina Aguilar
-John Lennon and Paul McCartney

~love: nIkKi
mattchun
Vitas...Oh my god...
gorjuve
I have to say it is Breaking Benjamin's Lead Singer... He's awesome. His voice is so cool. In 'The Diary of Jane' he is fabolous!
Blu_Spykz
Freddy Mercury - Queen. Greatest live act ever (ok...opinion)

Chester Bennington - Linkin Park. Actually has the most amazing singing voice, and is very powerful on the "louder" tracks too. Can make it sound like there is atleast 5 different singers singing at once...

Bryan Adams. Camp but great
woodenbrick
I can't believe no one has mentioned Maynard James Keenan from Tool/A Perfect Circle, a great dynamic range and power to his voice.

Also Elliott Smith, mainly coz he did great harmonies with himself on recordings, Matt Bellamy is also great.
agustin
Hey Bannik! Its coriuos but I agree with you! definitly Mercury, Rose, jhonson are great singers. But I would like to put in that category also Stevn Tyler and Snoop Dog.
Well... Theres a lot of singers but they are so good.
SimonWSTS
Freddy Mercury seems to be the popular choice and a good one at that. However...

James Brown! What a voice! His memory will live on forever in his music.
hsadmin
Amy Lee has my vote.. You know, the singer from evanescence.. Amazing.

As for guy singer.. I think Howard Jones, from killswitch engage.. He can sing with a death metal voice, hardcore voice, or just a light gentle voice..
Sipe
Hmm. The best voice will be Freddie Mercury (Queen). I like so much his voice, its just so powerfull and handsome.

My second favourite is Gackt. He's j-rock artist, but what a voice! Oh, its just so..so.. excellent! Such a gallant, gentle, with lot a power. I just love it.
ainieas
I can't believe i forgot to mention Kurt Cobain.
melissareich
TBH... I'd have to say Celine Dion...
Sorry but that Titanic song is my most favorite song ever... no lie Wink
liljp617
Any of the major classic rock bands. Metal I'd have to say Phil Anselmo, Dio, Ozzy (not recently, but in the past), Zakk Wylde has a nice blues voice, Hendrix had a great voice for the music he played. Can't really say any singer is the best...it's all based on what genre they're in and there really is no criteria for being the "best singer." It's like trying to say who is the best guitar player in history or any musical instrument for that matter.
spinout
Bannik wrote:
so we always get Best Drummer, Guitarist etc but what about Best Voice
any genre any style etc

i'll start
Freddy Mercury - if you dont know his group wiki it.
Axl Rose - if you dont know dont post here
Brian Johnson - ac/dc

I think Brian johnson just screams contra Bon Scott!!!

Best voice of all times -> Janis Martin (female Elvis) R.I.P
Chalchihuitlicue
I'm adding KAMIJO of Versailles to my list. DAMN that man can sing! He never really used the stronger, lower part of his range when he was in Lareine, so I never expected the kind of sound Versailles has... Shocked
GB
Any genre, huh? Well, I would say that I really like the Estonian Philharmonic Choir under the direction of Arvo Pärt. He composes some wonderful music, a few of which I have been privileged to perform. This choir though has a great sound, very smooth, velvety tones. There are other choirs that I enjoy too, but as a whole, I really like the Estonian Philharmonic.
Sipe
Yeap, Freddie Mercurys voice is something amazing.. I really love his voice. And he was also a great performer!

Also, Klaus Meines (Skorpions) voice is too amazing! Its unique, and powerful.
And we cant forget Gacktos (ex Malice Mizer) voice. Of god, I just cant live without hearing his songs.. Smile
devotchka
Truthfully, I love unique voices.
Here are some of these gorgeous voices in no particular order.

-Nina Simone

-Renato Russo

-Louis Armstrong

-Rufus Wainwright

-Antony Hegarty

-Mark Lanegan

-Stephin Merritt

-Nana Caymmi

-Milton Nascimento

-Nat King Cole

-Billie Holiday

-Amy Winehouse

-Cesaria Evora

-Madeleine Peyroux

-Klaus Nomi

mimsxmassacre
Christina Aguliera. I know, pop artist with a pretty bad image and reputation. Shows wayyyyy too much skin for the innocent eyes of the general youth public to which she aspires to appeal to. Too much make up, oversexed and generally part of the pop culture that we've learned to shun, but day-um she has a great voice.

Also Hayley from Paramore, just cause I love Paramore. Male vocalists are generally what I prefer, but they fail to impress me.

i agree with her
:]]
perlpoint
Freddie Mercury undoubtly the great!!!!
(if you dare to doubt. double-check Queen-Live at Wembley and you will see what I mean)

Michael Jackson, this guy sings since he had a voice, and what a beautifful voice...
great too
Jakob [JaWGames]
Tarja Turonen (could be spelled wrong) has amazing vocals which she shows on nightwishs album "Once", her new soloalbum is great too.

Another singer I like alot is Tony Kakko, the singer of the band Sonata Arctica. Some people whines about his finnish accent but for me that does not matter. His vocals are nevertheless great.
anotheraddict
Alot of great voices on this list, I'd doubt that anyone could agree on a single artist as their favorite haha. Here are some of my favorites though:

Paul McCartney

Mathew Bellamy

Liam Gallagher

Maynard James Keenan

Chino Marino

Rivers Cuomo

Dallas Green

Jack Johnson

in no particular order Rolling Eyes
zeitgeistsa
For me best voices are:

Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin
Frank Sinatra
Elvis Presley
Ella Fitzgerald
thangel93
I think Bill Kaulitz, Gerard way, Tarja turunen, Anette olzon, Halyley Wiliams and Amy Lee Have the best voice ever!
Just love all og their songs<3
pet-virus
Maynard!! Very Happy

Singer from Tool... he has an excellent voice, one of my favourites!!

pet-virus
intruder_indeed
MY favourite vocalist is Peter Gabriel. But Freddie Mercury without doubt was the best singer of all time. His vocal range is awesome, and he is purely a one off. Which is to say a voice that is entirely in its own league. I have been to thousands of Karaoke's over the years and seen countles TV shows like stars in there eyes, and never ever heard anybody immitate Freddies voice properly. Freddies voice is by far one of the hardest vocal voices to immitate. Which to me gives him the right to the top vocalist.
chartcentral
Josh Groban has impressive vocal power. Among the women, the power belters are on the A-list. Smile
Vlien
Guy Garvey - Elbow
Chino Moreno - Deftones

and

Ashlee Simpson, her voice is incredibly pleasant to listen to, I think, it's not like other female pop singer's voices - a little "hoarse"? (Probably not the right word but you'll know what I mean.)
roxys_art
Steve Balsamo has one of the best singing voices I have ever heard. He is in a band called The Storys, but is probably most famous for his role as Jesus of Nazareth in Jesus Christ Superstar. He has an excellent natural tone to his voice, has incredible control, his falsetto is ridiculous (3 1/2 octave range), and you can tell practice has definitely paid off.

If you want a sample of singing ability, I recommend jumping on youtube and searching for the song "Gethsemane."

Amazing...
smspno
I will not be very original but I must admit that Freddy Mercury had the best male voice ever! He possessed highly distinctive voice and was able to cover the range of four and half octaves! I don't think that it is possible that anybody could have a better voice than he did. Razz

If you asked me about the most beautiful voice of a living human, I would certainly say: Sting. Although his voice range is not very wide, he doesn't go beyond his abilities and still sings very beautifully and expressively. But after all, it is undoubtedly very subjective opinion since Sting is my favourite musician Smile.
Afaceinthematrix
I'm going to go with Amy Lee. Her voice is amazing!
ddukki
I really like Regina Spektor's voice. Deep timbre and smooth tone. She sounds a lot like Bjork but she's not ... well, crazy. ^_^;
nTonio
Elvis Presley - Because he is a King

Christina Aguilera - Because she can do with her voice anything she wants

Avril lavigne - because the way it's sounds (voice)

Chester Charles Bennington - Linkin Park - because he can destroy a wall with pure & clear scream, and he is able to do the "scream-singing" and a nice ballad

Kasia Stankiewicz - because her voice can melt ice

Michael Jackson - Because he is also a King

Celine Dion - Becouse strenght of her voice
spinout
I go for the female elvis :

Janis Martin !

No one has ever beat her voice!