FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wordpress htaccess problem

cosmicx
I have a problem with the .htaccess and I have no idea on it...
I created a .htaccess file and upload it to my public directory so that I can change my permalink structure in Wordpress.
However, sometimes my blog's theme will suddenly disappear or malfunction...and changed back to a simple formatting...

I manually solve this by deleting the file and replace it with another same .htaccess file. The site works again, but after some times, it will change back to the same problem even though I did not make any changes.

So, anyone can help on this problem? what could be the possible errors?
Thank you Very Happy
silverdown
Send a htaccess file to the directory in chmod 666. Apply your permalinks then Chmod your htaccess to 660 or 664 to keep people from hacking it or changing it.

Reference from

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks
cosmicx
silverdown wrote:
Send a htaccess file to the directory in chmod 666. Apply your permalinks then Chmod your htaccess to 660 or 664 to keep people from hacking it or changing it.

Reference from

Thanks for your help...
I fixed it by removing some hotlinking setting...
now should be work well...
escritor
What exactly must I do to set permalinks? I typed my pattern in the "custom structure" field of the Permalinks page, but a 404 error appears when I access a URL. Sad

I uploaded a .htaccess file to the Wordpress directory and tried it again, but that time this errors appeared:
Quote:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Permalinks do work with the /index.php/, but I want to get rid of it.
rvec
you have to rewrite your urls with htaccess
Lot of info about permalinks, htaccess and wordpress there.
escritor
^Yes, that page has a lot of info, but it doesn't say clearly what I must do. Sad How do I rewrite the URLs with htaccess? Could you please post a simple step by step tutorial?
jmlworld
escritor wrote:
^Yes, that page has a lot of info, but it doesn't say clearly what I must do. Sad How do I rewrite the URLs with htaccess? Could you please post a simple step by step tutorial?

If you delete the .htaccess page then update your permalinks structure to "Nice URL" WordPress wil automatically create the .htaccess file, or WP will give the code, then you can create it yourself.

escritor wrote:
I uploaded a .htaccess file to the Wordpress directory and tried it again, but that time this errors appeared:
Quote:
Quote:
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

I think it's mod_security related problem.

WordPress recommends something like the code below:
Quote:

Code:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterPost Off
</IfModule>

escritor wrote:
Permalinks do work with the /index.php/, but I want to get rid of it.

Weird thing, I've seen that on only Yahoo! hosted websites... Frihost works well with the NICE URLs. If your .htaccess looks like the code below, something else is wrong with your scripts then.

Quote:

Code:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

</IfModule>
# END WordPress

escritor
^Thank you, sir. Smile I had already fixed that issue... but I forgot to tell it here. The good point is that everyone who reads this thread will learn how to do that. Smile