FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Australia!

tijn01
We are currently travelling by road from Tasmania to Queensland and are really enjoying it! Has anyone out there been on this trip? What was your favourite bit ?
Has anyone been Townsville? Is it nice?
w1266
Well, I havent been there, but I would loooove to go :>
Shin
Is it very safe to do such a trip? What would you recommend that we should beware of?
rekluzz
I made a trip from Brisbane to Cape Trib once and really enjoyed it. Are you traveling in your own car? If you are, then consider a trip north to the Cape. Beautiful part of Queensland. Dense rain forest unspoilt by commercialization.
woodenbrick
I was brought up in Townsville and while I didn't particularly like living there, it's a nice enough place. It was the summers mainly that were unbearable. Hey, if you get a chance, pop into the Mad Cow (Night club in the city) and say hi to my sister Daisy, she is a barmaid there. Maybe she will give you a free drink! Wink
StoneColdSoul
No, but i'd love to go sounds like a wonderful place to visit.
X3 Talk
I am a local Australian, in Victoria. Feel free to ask questions about my homeland.
georgekalathil
Is there any deserts near Victoria...?
CT93
I am a resident of Australia, and enjoy living here very much! I currently live near Sydney, but want to migrate up north to Queensland, where the climate is much warmer, and there is a lot more to do.

If you visit Australia, I'd highly reccomend Queensland - its a very family-friendly place, particularly because of the four theme parks, and Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo.

Sydney always has a lot happening, and for the family... there is Luna Park. Another Luna Park can be found in Melbourne.

Canberra's best tourist spot is Black Mountain Tower... you get some excellent views from up there.

Although I haven't been to Tasmania, I've heard good things about the Cadbury factory.
Tom7
go to the gold coast, i live there, it is pimp.
paul_indo
Between Coffs Harbour and the Quensland border are many really nice beaches.

The mountain range on the border is really good for hiking but I forget the name of that range.
Tim Graham
georgekalathil wrote:
Is there any deserts near Victoria...?
I suppose if you go right up into the northwest of the state near the border with NSW and SA it's a bit desert like.

It's the opposite end.. Victoria is at the southern end of the east coast accross from Tasmania, the outback is more in the central and western parts of the country - mainly Western Australia, the Northern Territory, South Australia as well as parts of Queensland and New South Wales.

If you're looking for somewhere to visit Sydney is the place most people visit. Queensland is pretty popular for the Daintree and Whitsundays and fun-in-the -sun sort of activities, so is the Gold Coast for the theme parks. Melbourne is a bit more sophisticated than Sydney/Queensland - lots of cafes and shopping, galleries that sort of hing. It's also quite a bit cooler. Of course, I quite like it because I live here although most of the people who visit quite enjoy it.

paul_indo wrote:
The mountain range on the border is really good for hiking but I forget the name of that range.
Would that be in/around Lamington National Park?

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park/index.cgi?parkid=97
erlendhg
I have been in Australia twice Smile

The first time, we first visited Sydney, then drove up to Brisbane, and took the plane up to Cairns. Here we went for swimming up in the Great Barrier Reef Smile We had some really great time Cool
thealpha
Is Australia very hot??????
I plan to go in Dec
Tim Graham
thealpha wrote:
Is Australia very hot??????
I plan to go in Dec
It is in December - temperatures in most parts of the country can get to over 40 degrees celsius. Most people here spend Christmas indoors with the air conditioning on - it can be very, very hot.

It really depends on what you're doing though - if you're after fun in the sun on the gold coast then it's fine, just make sure you wear lots of sunscreen (something about the hole in the ozone layer being bigger here than the Northern Hemisphere) and wear a hat, shirt, etc so you don't get skin cancer. There were a lot of very red English tourists in Fiji - not something you want. It hurts a lot.

If you're spending time in one of the cities then don't overexert yourself - spring/autumn are somewhat better times given the milder weather but there aren't extreme temperatures every day.
aprivateaccount
i love summer in brisbane,
the hot scorching sun against your skin while you're strolling down the beach with minute sand grains massaging your feet. Although, the waters are pretty choppy, i spent my time at the pool or by the beach!
icantthink
Townsville? Hmmm powerpuff girls?

Anyway I've been to the great ocean road. It's amazing!
agustin
Thats a beautifull country but I have never been there. Nice spots... good weather... animals...
noisette
I spent the whole feburary in Australia this year and it was a fabulous experince for me!
My cousin lives in Adelaide. Besides Adelaide, she and her husband took me to Sydney, where we watched Cinese Spring Festival Parade; The Gold Coast, where we had 4 amazing days enjoying the sea, beach, and visiting the theme parks. A friend in Melbourne showed me around the city. And we joint a 2-day-Great Ocean Road-tour. You cant miss the 12 apostles! And the great zoos, animals, aquariam, fairy penguins...
wow.... too much to say.. I'd like to go there again, and agian, and actually I'm considering to go for my further study there.
zumbaddicted
anything about port macquarie?

i have a friend who just moved there. going to visit in august 2008.

we are planning on flying to darwin, hiring a jeep and driving to uluru. stopping off at various places and camping, hiking and some drinking in some of the local watering holes.
fourx
I live just near there... www.escapenorth.com.au has some good information- check out the media library on this site for pics of the area.
mingd
Shin wrote:
Is it very safe to do such a trip? What would you recommend that we should beware of?

The Backpacker killer from Wolf Creek
soldeinvierno
pues vaya, a mi no m mola un carajo australia...ya ves...soy asi
mawfia
Yea I am planning on taking a trip to Sidney either november or december time frame. I am trying ot plan out the cheapest fare and schedule of things I would like to do while I am there.
tijn01
We have been in Townsville now for almost 4 months and are here for another two. Although it is a nice enough place we will be glad when were leaving. After Towny we head back to WA to settle down. Although we would love to take the Northern route.... the wet season will make this impossible. So we'll head back though QLD, NSW and SA before arriving in WA.
I'm living in Australia at the moment. Great place Smile Personal favourite tourist thing to do would have to be the harbour bridge climb, was good fun.
dth_s4t4n1st
never been there but always wanted to go and see all the exotic animals aussie has to offer
lukeg74
aprivateaccount wrote:
i love summer in brisbane,
the hot scorching sun against your skin while you're strolling down the beach with minute sand grains massaging your feet. Although, the waters are pretty choppy, i spent my time at the pool or by the beach!

That's odd, because there is no beach in Brisbane. You must be thinking of the Gold Coast.
Xeter_Design
Yewww another Aussie here.

Any surfers here that live on the East Coast?? Swell has been HUGE lately..i've been out everyday..got a bit scary throughout different stages of the day.

Reply back with where you surf and would you be interested in meeting for a surf??

Regards,
Nick
Xeter_Design
mingd wrote:
Shin wrote:

The Backpacker killer from Wolf Creek

LOL Ivan Milat...he's locked away now, but you do have to watch out for those rampant Bush Aussies, i hear they get a bit rowdy at the sight of someone new.
misterXY
rekluzz wrote:
I made a trip from Brisbane to Cape Trib once and really enjoyed it. Are you traveling in your own car? If you are, then consider a trip north to the Cape. Beautiful part of Queensland. Dense rain forest unspoilt by commercialization.

theres some rainforest left?! commercialization you have failed me! Laughing
Afaceinthematrix
I want to go to Tropical North Queensland, Australia. I've heard they have really good sights and hiking there. I want to go backpacking/trekking there. I would also like to visit other places in Australia. I've heard many good places about that country/continent.
nivinjoy
I haven't been to Australia..But one of my good friends is doing his Bio-technology course in Australia...As far he has told me Australia is a very good place and a must visit place to enjoy...!!!

He had shown me pics of some of very beautiful places he had gone to in Australia...!!!They were very awesome and excellent places...So naturally by seeing the pics me too had a wish to visit Australia...

So would like to visit Australia soon...!! Anyone out there tell me which is the best time for tourists to visit the place...???

Laughing Cool Laughing
ptfrances
I have as well a really good friend and she is there since two years and a half. She seems very happy there and she doesn't want to go back in France.
Wink
frankfava
Gday guys,

Ive lived in Australia all my life, born here and proud of it.

Whenever you get a chance, come on down under.

Take it easy,
Frank
LostOverThere
misterXY wrote:
rekluzz wrote:

theres some rainforest left?! commercialization you have failed me! Laughing

Yeah, heaps. There are 2 major rainforests in Queensland alone, one is near Brisbane (the Gold Coast actually) Lamington National Forest which is double the size of Washington DC or one forth the size of New York City.

The other one is up in Cairns and is also very large although I'm not sure on the exact size.

Naturally both are heritage reserve. Other then rainforest, we got a heap of bushland. Seriously...there's to much of it.
tijn01
So After Living in Townsville for 6 months we moved back to bunbury in South West WA. Townsville is really a shithole, climate in winter is nice, but that's about it. The rainforrest up North are stunning... but Townsville itself is just sh#t.
Happy to be in WA, beautiful corner here, climate laright, and nice surf!
ptfrances
everything seems wonderful to visit in AUstralia and I am sure it's a lovely place to live
akh-international
<everything seems wonderful to visit in AUstralia and I am sure it's a lovely place to live>

Yes. Australia is a beautiful country... Very Happy

I love the climate in Sydney... Razz
themit
I have lived here in Victoria most of my life. It's a great place to visit- but it's a long way from Europe, USA etc.
bigt
w1266 wrote:
Well, I havent been there, but I would loooove to go :>

Ditto Smile I have some extended family from there and would love to go see all the cool stuff they talk about being down there.
bonestorm74
I live in Brisbane and of course can recommend this country to anyone who wants to visit. It's a great safe place to travel and the people are friendly. Come on over!