FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Genuine Update

dickyzin
Windows update is prompting me to install Windows Genuine Update on my machine. I'd like to know if it is necessary to install this update. Can I still get automatic updates if I don't install this update? I checked the Microsoft website but they did not mention anything about if other updates will still be download-able. I have a genuine windows XP installed on my machine but I don't trust all the updates that Microsoft Windows Update prompts me. Sometimes the updates stuff up my configuration.
LukeakaDanish
Just install it...it just checks if your win is genuine, which isnt a problem...it shouldn't change anything...as indeed should no other update apart from perhaps SP2, which did fundamentally change the way winXP works...
badai
only when you want to use non-critical automatic updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/WhyValidate.aspx
varun_dodla
If you are a Genuine Windows XP user then you should not worry about this update as it only checks whether your XP OS is genuine or not.
But, if it is not (i.e its a pirated version) then at start up it asks you to resolve it by purchasing a new key. If not done so then slowly the features of the OS are disabled until it becomes impossible to use the pirated version.

Hope this helps.
badai
it won't disable anything. in fact you got extra feature -- that watermark thing.
dickyzin
Thanks for the info.
varun_dodla: What do you mean by when you said the features of the OS are disabled? That's quite weird. How can Microsoft do that?

badai: What's the 'watermark thing' that you're talking about?
DecayClan
If you cancel its installation, you will not be able to do any more automatic updates, because even though it will download them, everytime you press the cancel button at the genuine advance, all the other updates will be canceled... If go to the manual update site, you can get the updates though.
This is only for the critical updates

All the none-critical updates are disabled. You MUST install it in order to get it, and you MUST have official windows(unless you install a crack or something which i strongly suggest NOT TO, cause crack=trouble 99% of the times).

If you have original Windows, then you have no reason not to install it, as they said, but if you don't have original windows, then DONT, because you will start getting some messages, that you will be able to remove, but there is no point in it anyway. Also, disable

I hope i helped
varun_dodla
dickyzin wrote:
Thanks for the info.
varun_dodla: What do you mean by when you said the features of the OS are disabled? That's quite weird. How can Microsoft do that?

One of my friend who doesnot have legitimate copy of windows downloaded it and after several warning now his Windows Media Player doesn't play audio. The files play but there is no audio output from the speakers. Even when he plays video there is no sound though he is able to use real player to play both audio and video properly.....this is what I had meant by saying features of the OS are disbled....
DecayClan
varun_dodla wrote:
dickyzin wrote:
Thanks for the info.

One of my friend who doesnot have legitimate copy of windows downloaded it and after several warning now his Windows Media Player doesn't play audio. The files play but there is no audio output from the speakers. Even when he plays video there is no sound though he is able to use real player to play both audio and video properly.....this is what I had meant by saying features of the OS are disbled....

Lol, i believe that this is just considence... Pure coinsidense....
Even if something like that would happen, microsoft wouldn't do this thing; At the worst case, microsoft wouldn't allow you to play the file at all... Not allow you to play i, but produce no sound... LOLZzz

The only thing that i have heard that happens, is that at some cases, it locks windows...

I don't know if it is true though...

There is a way to manually completely remove the "not original" message, google it. DON"T USE CRACKS.

The best solution, is to go buy windows... If you have them genuine, there is no reason why you shouldn't do it...
billgertz
Its better to update your computer regularly. but as far as your question is concern, you can still update your computer even if you turn off the automatic updates. You will just see that critical updates balloon on and offyour system tray.

Another Option is visit this site http://softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html to select the update that you want to install.

I hope this one helps.
dickyzin
If I upgrade my computer with a new motherboard, RAM, CPU and hard drive, can I still use my windows XP operating system? That is, using the same CD key. By doing this, will the Windows Genuine Update be effected by this?
Bones
dickyzin wrote:
If I upgrade my computer with a new motherboard, RAM, CPU and hard drive, can I still use my windows XP operating system? That is, using the same CD key. By doing this, will the Windows Genuine Update be effected by this?

It depends. Normally the answer would be yes you can use it on a new computer (or after a hardware upgrade). BUT if it is an OEM version that came with say an HP computer, then probably not. Most OEM's make their copies of Windows so that they will only install on the hardware that it came with. Though some of the Dell oem versions will install on anything.