FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Computer Selling - Windows Installation





zanzou
I've recently discovered that my laptop (bought June 2006) has had its copy of Windows installed since May 2005. It was bought as a new computer, and (apparently) should have had the copy of Windows on it wiped and reinstalled (at the very least) when I bought it.

:/ My more techno-savy friend was the one who discovered this, and he told me a bunch of reasons why the company should not have done that, and I'm just wondering what you guys think about it (was it bad? if I bring it up to the people I bought it from, will I be able to do anything? is this actually a security risk?)

Anyway, I'm mostly asking because I want to know what arguements I can make for them giving me something in return for this, since my computer has been seriously funky lately and I'm planning on buying a new one anyway (though if they don't do something to repay me, not from the same people). :/

Thoughts?
badai
you looking the wrong way. don't bother about windows. the way i see it, you waste your money on the hardware. apparently, the hardware was out when windows was installed. which mean you bought a year old hardware.

there is no need to reinstall windows, because it's not like food where it can get spoiled. if they reinstalled it, you still get the exact windows unless they use another cd which include any patches or update. i don't think any manufacturer will ship a new updated "restore" cd for unsold laptop anyway. what was the reasons given by your friend anyway?

if your computer start to act funky, is it really act funky right after you bought it, or after you installed other software and surf all kind of stuffs on the Internet? if it's the later, then maybe your techno-savy friend can fix it.
zanzou
badai wrote:


there is no need to reinstall windows, because it's not like food where it can get spoiled. if they reinstalled it, you still get the exact windows unless they use another cd which include any patches or update. i don't think any manufacturer will ship a new updated "restore" cd for unsold laptop anyway. what was the reasons given by your friend anyway?

if your computer start to act funky, is it really act funky right after you bought it, or after you installed other software and surf all kind of stuffs on the Internet? if it's the later, then maybe your techno-savy friend can fix it.


His logic basically went along the lines of "If they had installed it previously, then it is a security risk (due to back doors they may have left open), and since windows had been running on it for over a year, it was not NEW."

:( And he can't help me anymore since I have now left the city he's in... we were talking about it as I was packing up to move.
badai
unless the dealer has something personal against you, usually he never bother to even turn on the notebook. the OS was preinstalled even before the hardisk was attached to it in the factory.

and unless the dealer has something personal with the notebook, again he will never turn on the notebook or even open the box, so what you get is a preserved OS as good as fresh baked bread. the OS never run.

hmm.. i think a good analogy is marrying a 19 year old virgin and complainig that she's already 19. and u want a 0 year old virgin.

you obviously can't get a freshly installed windows when you buy any pre installed notebook. trust me, the OS is as good as new, 99% the dealer never bother to install anything and 99% the notebook has never been turn on.
zanzou
badai wrote:
unless the dealer has something personal against you, usually he never bother to even turn on the notebook. the OS was preinstalled even before the hardisk was attached to it in the factory.

and unless the dealer has something personal with the notebook, again he will never turn on the notebook or even open the box, so what you get is a preserved OS as good as fresh baked bread. the OS never run.

hmm.. i think a good analogy is marrying a 19 year old virgin and complainig that she's already 19. and u want a 0 year old virgin.

you obviously can't get a freshly installed windows when you buy any pre installed notebook. trust me, the OS is as good as new, 99% the dealer never bother to install anything and 99% the notebook has never been turn on.


Hmmm.. in that case, I'm going to call the store and ask if all of their systems come pre-installed-- they might not, since not everybody wants what most people have.

Because if it's by factory, I'm stuck, but if not, I do indeed have a leg to strand on. ^^ Thanks for you help!
badai
installing OS took at least 45 minutes. you think the dealer or any dealer would do it for free? some nice shop will install it for you when you bought the OS, and they will ask you to come back in 1 hour. but most shop will ask you for some fee to install it.

no matter who originally install your software, you can't just go to them and demand anything from them when your computer start to act funny, unless of course if you pay them to check. i believe that's the universal rule through out the world either you live in a free country or under military dictatorship. your computer is your own responsibility. you screwed it, you fix it, or pay someone else to fix it, unless of course it started to act funny right after you bought it.

if you do send it to any shop to fix it, make sure you know what they will do. if they reformat it, make sure they back up all your stuffs first.
zanzou
badai wrote:
\no matter who originally install your software, you can't just go to them and demand anything from them when your computer start to act funny, unless of course if you pay them to check. i believe that's the universal rule through out the world either you live in a free country or under military dictatorship. your computer is your own responsibility. you screwed it, you fix it, or pay someone else to fix it, unless of course it started to act funny right after you bought it.


I def. didn't start this whole thing because my computer started acting funky-- it's been acting funky for a while, and I've known I was getting a new one for a few months. But the discovery of when windows was actually installed (on the advice of friend) is what made me think I might not have to pay for the whole thing. :x Wishful thinking I suppose.
DecayClan
... They were preinstalled by the factory... Thats 99,99% of the times... I work as a computer technician, and unless we have to install some extra software or something like that, we NEVER open the laptop... And in no case delete the preinstalled os, and install a new one... There is no point in it anyways...

Why would they?

Its not their fault, they are not going to give/do anything for free, because it simply isn't their fault... They might help, only so that you buy your new computer from them, or if you act crazy Wink Razz
johanfh
Just curious: how strange does your computer act? Because if it's a software problem, why bother? Backup your data and apps and reinstall using the rescuedisk if you can't fix the problem... Or post it at Frihost, maybe one of us can help you
JohanFH
Related topics
The Archive of All Funny
How Spyware Works!!!
Abbott and Costello Buy a Computer
pay attition to the new virus Backdoor.Nibu.K
Windows XP Tricks & Tips!!!!
Repair windows Xp with the Recovery Console
How to solve Windows XP Login Logoff problem
ubuntu installation and windows
PHP and MYSQL on the computer
Reformat Linux to Windows XP "GRUB not loading.....ERRO
computer problem
windows 7 installation via USB
WHEN WINDOWS WILL NOT START
Reinstall windows easily?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.