FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Holy Grail CSS template

peaceninja
Does anyone else use the holy grail template (popularized by the listapart blog). Or does anyone recommend a template they use from site to site?
Handyman
I really like the templates at intensivstation. I have found them to cover almost all of my needs. I usualy add a lot more css to them because they are prety plain.
GB
I like the Holy Grail template, but apparently there are some problems with it--just read the comments section for that article. Some have been fixed, and some still persist last I checked. In any case, I love CSS and the opportunities it opens.
Tex_Arcana
You might get better response if you explained a little that the holy grail template is a liquid layout with fixed width columns on both sides and a liquid column in the middle with a header and footer rather then leaving people to go check out A list Apart to figure out what you mean.

Yeah I tried something similar once from another site that referenced A List Apart (so I had no clue right away what you were talking about though I suspected). I attempted to make a template for a CMS. It worked pretty much but there were problems. Getting it to work equally well in all browsers was a woolly booger. Often text in the the center column would bleed over into the right column and push right column text over the edge of the template and into the background. Pretty much it sucked.

Now I'm working on a two column layout with header and footer that is completely elastic. At least until it reaches 1600 px wide then it breaks, but I think anyone with a resolution wider then that has got to be just showing off anyway, then again I used to think the same thing about people with modems that went over 300 baud, and if that doesn't tell you how really old I am... of course back then monitors were made from animal skins and berry juice.
Azmo
I cant understand why you use a template for those stuff. this is easy things to create on your own, so why take a template? hope that someone can explain that to me, cause when you work with webdesign, it's kinda easy to see who's using a template and who doesnt, and tbh, I rather stay and read on a less good looking page that atleast is orignial and created by the person who host it, then reading on a template.

just my 2 cents on the matter
GB
This quote:
Tex_Arcana wrote:
... of course back then monitors were made from animal skins and berry juice.

made me laugh.

Next, Azmo, I agree and disagree with you. A template can be good and bad. A bad use of a template is when you copy the graphics, look, etc. from another site or a template site. It makes your site nothing special and non-unique.

However, a good template would be one that you create and then use throughout your site to bring continuity.
Azmo
GB wrote:
This quote:
Tex_Arcana wrote:
... of course back then monitors were made from animal skins and berry juice.

made me laugh.

Next, Azmo, I agree and disagree with you. A template can be good and bad. A bad use of a template is when you copy the graphics, look, etc. from another site or a template site. It makes your site nothing special and non-unique.

However, a good template would be one that you create and then use throughout your site to bring continuity.

Ye ofc, but I suggest that you make ur templets by yourself.. even if you try to copy one that u find on the internet, if you just try to copy, and don't steal, it will have your personla touches on it since u hardly can figure out all graphics.. unless u are very good Smile I'm not against if u try to copy.. I'm against downloading and using as it is..
Donutey
I've used it in a quick little project, and the only problem I had was that I had to use a negative margin to get the header image I was using to behave correctly, however, I haven't looked for any explanations for this.

It's a really cool design though, as I've struggled to setup similar designs before.