FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

near the same subdomain

sonam
Hi,
I don't know where to post this but I hope this is right forum. I have hosting on frihost with name phoenix.frihost.net and now I see how one new member refinedruffian have near the same name http://phoenix.frih.net

Of course, I cannot protect this name but I think if two (or three) servers serving frihost that is not two frihost. It is only one and actualy we have the same name. I am invest lot of time to promote my site (and frihost, of course) and now I am loose indentity of my subdomain. Sad

OK, maybe I am selfish but what can I do? Can someone of mods to give me answer. Can you ask refinedruffian to change his subdomain in something else?

Sonam
tidruG
Sonam,
I'm sorry but there's nothing we can do about it.
You're hosted with the subdomain phoenix on Server 1, and he has phoenix on Server 2, which he has a right to request for.

It's like registering phoenix.com and then not allowing anyone else to register phoenix.net or phoenix.org (just drawing an analogy).
Animal
Well, your subdomain is still unique. phoenix.frihost.net is different to phoenix.frih.net - it would be unfair of us to ask users to change their subdomains based on other user's web addresses. By adding the second server to Frihost, we have greatly increased the capacity for us to host users. With large numbers of hosting accounts currently active, avoiding similar URLs would be impossible.

I would be extremely surprised if visitors to either site confused the frih.net and frihost.net address suffixes. This is a common problem on the internet - with so many Top Level Domains available, it is inevitable that different companies and people would end up using the same domain name with a different suffix - think of .com/.net/.org/.info/.us/.de/.co.uk and so on.

Provided you continue to advertise using your correct URL (.frihost.net), there will be no problem - your domain certainly will not lose its identity, nor would you lose any visitors simply because another similar domain exists on the internet. Trust me when I say that there is really nothing to worry about Smile

EDIT: Beaten to it by tidruG's quick typing! Razz
refinedruffian
I hope now it is fine with you Sonam. My site is not completely built. I am going to use it for college and so in that case I need to get it approved by the college authorities. If they dont like the site and if they dont wish to implement it I will send a request to cancel it but else I have to keep the same domain as it is the name of our team project.
sonam
refinedruffian wrote:
I hope now it is fine with you Sonam. My site is not completely built. I am going to use it for college and so in that case I need to get it approved by the college authorities. If they dont like the site and if they dont wish to implement it I will send a request to cancel it but else I have to keep the same domain as it is the name of our team project.

OK, never mind. Like Animal and TidruG says that is normal. I just have idea how frihost have uniqe subdomain names for each user. Good luck with your project. Very Happy

Sonam