FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game Ideas

unknownc1c
So this is a thread for possible game ideas. Just discuss what you like in a game and what you think would make a good game. I personally think this is a good idea for a thread but that might be because..
1) I like games
2) It's my thread Razz
3) I'm going into game programming/design (graphics) in college

Some Ideas: (for now)
If you ever played a game where you have to build a civilization and have it evolve as it grows, that's basically what this is. I was watching Stargate Atlantis and started thinking what they had was a good idea but with a few changes.
The idea of being able to do almost anything in the game with your civilization is pretty cool i think. I think being able to have your civilization take any path you can think of would be a lot of fun especially if it was a MMORP type game. I'd love to be able to completely shape some community. Change the way it's built, the way people travel around, etc. Then be able to fight/steal from neighboring places. If i made a game like this I'd make it so anyone can do anything to anyone else (Alliance, Fight, Conquer, Surender, etc.)

Another idea i always thought would be cool in a game was an enviroment that changed and stayed changed until the game ended. Obvously you wouldn't be able to do too much change or the game would start to lag real bad. I'm just talking about things like, when you shoot a light it goes out, when you run into a chair it moves, if you blow a hole in the ground you actually see a hole. I just hate when i shoot a wall and the hole goes away in a few seconds, or i shoot a light and it's still there. If i could change the evironment i could do something like, blockade a door and shoot out the lights... heck even being able to dig a hole some where would be cool.
Flakky
Quote:
Another idea i always thought would be cool in a game was an enviroment that changed and stayed changed until the game ended.
This can be used with the matter of time, weather and who is the owner of the land. This has no lag at all if you can build it correctly. You will probably learn why if you finished your course. The holes in the wall can be created with bumpmapping which actually does no change in the FPS if you compare it with the moment before the hole is in the wall but this will not create a real hole but bumpmapping makes the player believe that there is a hole.

That is my comment for the moment, I have to go now. Wink
mynameis
I think the civilization idea is good, just don't include stargate atlantis in it, theres nothing wrong with doing a space civilization (good opportunities for story, Earth destruction race for human survival etc.) but make it original so don't use brand names...
Flakky
mynameis wrote:
I think the civilization idea is good, just don't include stargate atlantis in it, theres nothing wrong with doing a space civilization (good opportunities for story, Earth destruction race for human survival etc.) but make it original so don't use brand names...
Brand names will never succeed and doing every idea yourself will improve your abbility for designing but improving ideas is nice to learn from other people. And with brand names you might get trouble for copyright.
spazbutt32
unknownc1c wrote:

Another idea i always thought would be cool in a game was an enviroment that changed and stayed changed until the game ended. Obvously you wouldn't be able to do too much change or the game would start to lag real bad. I'm just talking about things like, when you shoot a light it goes out, when you run into a chair it moves, if you blow a hole in the ground you actually see a hole. I just hate when i shoot a wall and the hole goes away in a few seconds, or i shoot a light and it's still there. If i could change the evironment i could do something like, blockade a door and shoot out the lights... heck even being able to dig a hole some where would be cool.

Check out Red Faction.. it's not multiplayer, or online as far as I know, but it uses that same kind of "real-time environment modification".

Ex. one of the early levels is an underground mine.. if you get a rocket launcher you can literally blow a tunnel in the wall to another part of the level.

Oh, and my idea for an online game: Some sort of ninja-type game where you're always jumping around, like a platformer but with aerial combat, sorta DBZ-ish without flying.
spinout
The best one ever as a 'internet online car theme' I suppose was motor city online. but EA closed it down. It was the best ever for vintage car lovers.

The most car games seemes to be too arcade for me. why can't anyone design a reality car game? Simple idea but not fullfilled yet.

Hm, in Sweden we have a car racing called folkrace (people race) n that idea could du as a great computer game. They use standard cars with crash bars inside - n then just race (simple rules) around a gravvel track. Not so much speed but much bumping into eachother... So fun to look at live. Afterwards everyone can buy eachothers cars for around 400 dollars - to keep em cheap - in an auction.
Sparda
I like the idea of an adventure of a hero. The hero will face many difficulties that lead into many other difficulties. There could also be a really bad situation the hero gets into which you could call (Last Boss). After the game has ended and the hero thinks his quest is complete a swarm of monsters (or something) come in to attack the hero. Thus giving the player the idea of a next game version. Thats my idea of a good game.
catscratches
Tomatoes! For everybody! We who are a bit older can enjoy all splatter and blood while the kids thinks it's just ketchup XD

And minigolf with tomatoes. Tomato FPS. Tomato RTS. TOMATOES!

The problem with tomatoes is to get a good story into it. But that wouldn't be impossible. Destructible terrain that stays destroyed all time is nice but do you play a game just because of that? I wouldn't at least. The only really important thing is that the game is fun. So you're all doooomed! Muhuhuhu! (evil cow laugh)
spinout
Sparda wrote:
I like the idea of an adventure of a hero. The hero will face many difficulties that lead into many other difficulties. There could also be a really bad situation the hero gets into which you could call (Last Boss). After the game has ended and the hero thinks his quest is complete a swarm of monsters (or something) come in to attack the hero. Thus giving the player the idea of a next game version. Thats my idea of a good game.

The hero idea is good - but when I see a hero story I really like the tragic ones. I don't know why I like a bit tragic...

Hm, like the Spiderman story - his first girl Gwen dies when fighting the goblin (greengoblin/hobgoblin or what's his name).

Without tragic - happiness can't exist...
unknownc1c
lol i wasn't suggesting to use the name "Stargate Atlantis" I know that would get who ever made it, in trouble most likely. I'm just saying something LIKE that would be cool.

spazzbutt32, yeah i like red faction, the first one anyways, the 2nd wasn't as good b/c you couldn't rocket the walls like in red faction 1. Unfortunatly it got a little glitchy if you tried to dig your way up and out...
Flakky
Can you give me a genre and I will investigate a bit more in it. You can better make a game you like playing your self or you loose interest.