FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Home-Made Business or External Investments?

Soltair
Hello,

Seeing what is happenning right now in Canada and in Quebec, I wondered what people from around the world believe about this. The thing is, most of our large, successful businesses are slowly bought back by mostly american businesses. I tend to start believing that this tendancy is not in our interest: slowly, we are loosing control of our own investments and must count on those from the USA.

Do you think a country should first develop its own economy or rather count on external investments to develop itself?
bogger
Well, I'm Irish, and we've managed to become one of the richest countries in Europe by welcoming foreign investment in the country and having a 12.5% corporate tax rate, compared to 35% in the USA

Foreign investment tends to kickstart an economy... but of course, over reliance is a bad thing, for you will be excessively affected by any global downturn.

Big USA businesses buying your companies is only bad if a majority of those said companies are from the USA, however, why not just buy shares in those companies? Most companies are global, not USA
bangala
If you are talking about FDA (Foreign Direct Investments), then this is a very healthy thing. You don't need to worry about the increase of FDA, but actually you should be happier instead. If Americans are favoring Canada over their own country to direct their investments, it means that they believe in the existence of a healthy economical environment and better opportunities in Canada.
illegalhost
i think that it is relatively cheaper to open your own shop rather than investing your funds.... but investing funds and opening shop is a risk to some... especially for low risk takers..... but those with a big appetite are the biggest risk cuz they risk of falling the hardest... if the funds are smaller and the risk is lower, the fall is lesser... and that is the same with opening up your own shop.... if u open a big shop with a big space, the risk of falling is harder..... the risk of not meeting the rental and expenses are bigger too.... however, if the shop is of relative size and the returns are high, there is a positive cashflow... this in turn can pay for expenses and rental... so it really depends on your apetite and your cash pocket... also, do some research before investing in a fund or a shop... is the product good/sellable?