FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

User Friendly Linux?

imagefree
Hi Friends!
Please answer my all the foru questions.

1) I am currently using WIN XP and i dont know anything about Linux, more than its name. I want to shift now to linux what do you recommend me?

2) Is here any userfriendly version of Linux?

3) what are the terms like BSD, Ubunto, Redhat and also Linux and many similar terms?

4) What kind of SYstem is required? (INTEL)?

Thanks.
desertwind
imagefree wrote:
Hi Friends!
Please answer my all the foru questions.

1) I am currently using WIN XP and i dont know anything about Linux, more than its name. I want to shift now to linux what do you recommend me?

Use it.

imagefree wrote:
2) Is here any userfriendly version of Linux?

Yes, there are many. Debian, Ubuntu, Mepis, Knoppix, Fedora, Suse, Mandriva, Sabaon etc being some of them

imagefree wrote:
3) what are the terms like BSD, Ubunto, Redhat and also Linux and many similar terms?

Ubuntu and Redhat are various GNU/Linux distributions. BSD is a UNIX disto.

Linux refers to the kernel used in GNU/Linux operating systems.

imagefree wrote:
4) What kind of SYstem is required? (INTEL)?

Any. GNU/Linux OS support virtually all platforms.

imagefree wrote:
Thanks.

You're welcome
qscomputing
Linux is very user-friendly once you learn how to use it properly - even more so than Windows.

That is, provided by "user-friendly" you mean "provides tools to help the user get the job done quickly", rather than the Microsoft version of that term that means "idiot-friendly".

For a new Linux user I would recommend Ubuntu. It doesn't require you to poke around in the internals too much. Although it doesn't come with KDE, which is the desktop I usually recommend for new users.
LostOverThere
Actually, some Linux distro's can run with as little as 4mb of RAM.

I'd say for beginners, try your hand at either Ubuntu or Mandriva.

If you've been using Windows, I'd say Mandriva would seem more at home to you (Seeing it uses the KDE Desktop instead of GNOME, etc.)
imagefree
Thank you all for your support. I will ask more questions about my Version Selection, Please keep visiting this thread.

Thanks to all of you very much.
teko
If I was you as a start I would get a live cd for the ubuntu distribution. A live cd basically allows you to boot your pc from a cdrom and therefore you can get to experience a linux distribution without having to install anything on your harddrive. With a live cd nothing is written to the hard drive.

Once you have played around with a few distributions and have found one you like, you can maybe make your pc dual-booted i.e. you create a partition one for XP and one for the linux distribution of your choice. currently this is the stage where I am at as I have yet to get all the applications/drivers I need to make the full switch over to linux.

Finally you can take the final leap and remove your XP partition and use only linux once you have found a linux distribution with the right look and feel, the applications, and a setup that works with your hardware.

As a newbie to linux I cant recommend Ubuntu enough, its very user friendly installation,and the online community and forums are very helpful.
teko
qscomputing wrote:
Although it doesn't come with KDE, which is the desktop I usually recommend for new users.

ubuntu does infact come with KDE, its called kubuntu. you are right in the fact that the standard release of ubuntu has gnome but you can download kubuntu instead. See http://www.kubuntu.org/ for more details.

there is also xubuntu which is aimed towards lower spec systems, or if you want a linux distro which has only the bare essentials installed.
qscomputing
Actually I knew about kubuntu already, I was trying to make the point that with most distros you get both KDE and GNOME (and others) and you can try them all out before deciding. With ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu you only get one.
Arno v. Lumig
qscomputing wrote:
Actually I knew about kubuntu already, I was trying to make the point that with most distros you get both KDE and GNOME (and others) and you can try them all out before deciding. With ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu you only get one.

Well, if you downloaded the Gnome-Ubuntu, you can still install KDE or XFCE or whatever window manager/desktop shell you prefer.
Animal
There is already a large thread about the best Linux Distro - please see this sticky since I'm sure it will be able to answer your question.

-close- Smile