FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

File Managers in Windows

ganesh
Ever wondered why Windows Explorer is so screwed up feature wise. What you probably wanted to do so many times was to open two folders side by side and compare their contents, and Windows Explorer doesn't even allow a dual pane folder mode!

I was so frustrated with this till I found out this great program: xplorer2

More details about this program can be found here: http://www.zabkat.com/

There are some competing programs like Total Commander, XYPlorer etc. Have you used any of those? How do these programs compare with each other? Do let people know about your opinions and findings!
qscomputing
I used Directory Opus for a while (got it off a magazine cover CD). It's powerful, but then again anything is powerful compared to explorer.

Right now I'm using ROX-Filer on Linux. According to the website, it is available for Windows as well, but I've never tried it.
MrBlueSky
I tried cubicexplorer for a while (it is free). It has some nice features which I liked, for example:

- tabs
- free disk space in the status bar
- buildin text editor
- good image viewing support

But it lacked too many features which were supported by Explorer.
lukeropro
I only use good ole' windows explorer. I just use it to open and organize files so yeah I don't feel the need to switch explorers.
cavey
I use Total Commander. I have done that for years. I does not cost much. You can also use it for FTP.

I love that I can make favorite-folders, two windows side-by-side (why on earth does not windows explorer have that?). You can customize the menus, customize the toolbars, make your own icons etc...

I have not used any of the others you suggested, so I haven't compared this with anything but windows explorer.

Highly recommended. You can also try it before you buy it, if you are not convinced by my recommandation: http://www.ghisler.com/
bri4n5
Total Commander definitely.
rekluzz
Giveawayoftheday site gave away Accelman last month. Its a great Explorer replacement.
daviosoftware
I use Total Commander.

The main advantage is that it allows plugins (when pressing F3 over a file it uses the plugin to view - Ex: .bmp .jpg .png opened with a plugin display the actual image; very fast), can compare files, can zip files, can explore zip files, has 2 pannels with the posibility to add favorite folders, is relatively cheap, when configured on right mouse button pressed more than 1 sec will display the context menu, has ftp, very well developed shortcut keys, fast find (faster that the windows classic).

I recommand Total Commander!
nhuabo
MrBlueSky wrote:
I tried cubicexplorer for a while (it is free). It has some nice features which I liked, for example:

- tabs
- free disk space in the status bar
- buildin text editor
- good image viewing support

But it lacked too many features which were supported by Explorer

I downloaded and try it ,yes it is great!
It support many language too,but not shortcut now.
internetjobs
you r telling about file browsers?