FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 6.10 - Sound & Compact Flash [SOLVED]

pluto
Hello. I'm have Ubuntu 6.10 installed on my PC, and I'm experiencing a couple of issues with other users I created.

Problem # 1: While I have audio, the other users do not have audio.

Problem #2: While I can insert a Compact Flash card into the front of the PC and have the OS recognize I just inserted the card; I cannot get the OS to even mount the card with other users.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
icedrakon
There is i a very important reason why many are using debian.It is the center core that many distibutions have began from like knoppix, ubuntu,zubuntu, and many others. If you want something to work you will find it there it is the largest distibution and for the beginner a simple upt-get will be enough to update with the latest drivers and software Wink
Arno v. Lumig
pluto wrote:
Hello. I'm have Ubuntu 6.10 installed on my PC, and I'm experiencing a couple of issues with other users I created.

Problem # 1: While I have audio, the other users do not have audio.

Problem #2: While I can insert a Compact Flash card into the front of the PC and have the OS recognize I just inserted the card; I cannot get the OS to even mount the card with other users.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

run sudo users-admin, select the users you want to edit, click "preferences" or whatever it says (second button from top), the go to the second tab (user rights?) and select the things you want to be able to do.

I'm not sure what's causing this bug though...
Nyizsa
Check if the other users are members of the audio and hotplug groups! Or simply add them to all of the groups you are a member of.
Ecthelion
icedrakon wrote:
There is i a very important reason why many are using debian.It is the center core that many distibutions have began from like knoppix, ubuntu,zubuntu, and many others. If you want something to work you will find it there it is the largest distibution and for the beginner a simple upt-get will be enough to update with the latest drivers and software Wink

Yet, many users are using Ubntu because it is much more dynamic then debian. Debian releases every how much time? 3years? 5year?
Ubuntu has a release every 6 months, which makes it supports more yesterday-old hardware.
And as you see, Ubuntu has a great community...

(latest drivers & software? not less then ubuntu.)
Nyizsa
Ecthelion wrote:
icedrakon wrote:

Yet, many users are using Ubntu because it is much more dynamic then debian. Debian releases every how much time? 3years? 5year?
Ubuntu has a release every 6 months, which makes it supports more yesterday-old hardware.
And as you see, Ubuntu has a great community...

(latest drivers & software? not less then ubuntu.)

Debian doesn't have a set release time. Next stable versions are released when they become stable. This means that every release-critical bug is fixed. Those who feel stable releases outdated, can always install the testing or experimental branches.
pluto
Quote:
run sudo users-admin, select the users you want to edit, click "preferences" or whatever it says (second button from top), the go to the second tab (user rights?) and select the things you want to be able to do.

I'm not sure what's causing this bug though...

Thank you for your help. I did what you described, and everything works now.