FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Color picker

Color picker ??
We need it
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
No need ..!
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 10

tempdbs
Hi,

Is there any chance to implement a color picker in the post box, so that we can have more number of colors for posting.

You can suggest to post the topics with html code, but the frihoster has to get the code firstly from paint, then he /she has to change that code to hexa-decimal and then have to be implemented that with the html code (if they are capable to write)...

My Suggestion is, Admin(bondings Cool or any other Smile )can implement this one, It will be more helpful to all the frihosters & new buddies..... Twisted Evil
Hogwarts
There already is a colour picker. It could be a good idea to be able to use hexadecimal ones, though. Not sure if you can though.

Let's see... The below should appear black
Test

Ok. Seeming you cannot use hex colours. I agree - Let's allow hex colours to be used in [color].
Manofgames
you can already do it.
remove quote mark from previous post.
ocalhoun
Hogwarts wrote:

Test

Indeed. The color selector above the text you type could be improved, though. It would be simpler to just select the color there.

In the meantime, use an application like colorpic.
tempdbs
Hogwarts wrote:
[color=#000000"]Test[/color]

Ok. Seeming you cannot use hex colours. I agree - Let's allow hex colours to be used in [color].

It's black by default Laughing

btw, there's a syntax mistake in your post, hexadecimal colour codes do work.

Code:
[color=#AABBCC]Test[/color]
becomes Test

But my request is "I donot know ( or want to write) this hexa-decimal code. Automatically as of we getting in drop down button, i've to get the color picker there.

I think now you got it.
tidruG
Colourful posts can get very very annoying on a big forum like this.
We've consciously made decision to try and prevent as much of unnecessary use of colour in posts as possible. I think this is mentioned in the Enhanced Posting Rules thread as well.

So, I doubt we're going to implement it.

EDIT:
Okay, it's not mentioned in the Enhanced Spelling rules, but I think it should be... probably will be soon.
tempdbs
tidruG wrote:
Colourful posts can get very very annoying on a big forum like this.

Yeah, I agree with you tidruG, but atleast you (oe admin or whoever) have to include some more attractive colours which matches to the web page. Laughing

tidruG wrote:
So, I doubt we're going to implement it.

May I know, who can implement this type of things either Bondings or any Admin. jUst having eagerness to know... Cool
Heart Ticket
tempdbs wrote:
Hi,

Is there any chance to implement a color picker in the post box, so that we can have more number of colors for posting.

You can suggest to post the topics with html code, but the frihoster has to get the code firstly from paint, then he /she has to change that code to hexa-decimal and then have to be implemented that with the html code (if they are capable to write)...

My Suggestion is, Admin(bondings Cool or any other Smile )can implement this one, It will be more helpful to all the frihosters & new buddies..... Twisted Evil

Color Picker is on phpBB3
I would suggest frihost upgrade to it because its definatly worth it (cash mod wont work on it though)
Manofgames
The upgrade was already suggested and refused because frihost is too heavily modded, what with ads, account page, comments, AWITS, report posts and users etc.

I also have to agree with Tidrug, too much colour is very annoying and would lower the ethos of the forum.
tidruG
Quote:
May I know, who can implement this type of things either Bondings or any Admin. jUst having eagerness to know...

The only person who can add any mods to the Frihost forums is Bondings, because he owns it and has access to the files.
Yjaxygames
Colors in posts are annoying. People will use them without any purpose.
saratdear
Yjaxygames wrote:
Colors in posts are annoying. People will use them without any purpose.

But didn't the Philosopher Princess do that beautifully? Smile

Actually, I don't see this as a bad idea, as long as people don't go berserk posting things like this..
ocalhoun
Perhaps the current color picker could be given more useful colors (and perhaps a slightly larger variety)
Examples of colors that are not useful because they don't work well with the color scheme here at Frihost: (You probably won't be able to read them without selecting the text to make it show up; that's why they are useless.)
Yellow
White
And Possibly Cyan
And also Black, because it's the same as Default.
Surely instead of these three we could get some more useful ones?
tidruG
Actually, black isn't really default. I think when you quote something, it becomes a shade lighter than black, but I'm not sure.
ocalhoun
tidruG wrote:
Actually, black isn't really default. I think when you quote something, it becomes a shade lighter than black, but I'm not sure.

True, I suppose black might be saved for that reason, though I've never seen anybody use the color=black tag in a quote (or ever, except when talking about the colors)
tempdbs
ocalhoun wrote:
tidruG wrote:

True, I suppose black might be saved for that reason, though I've never seen anybody use the color=black tag in a quote (or ever, except when talking about the colors)

Can you tell me what color at present can you see here...
Its by default BLACK...
m-productions
I dont think this is really needed at all, this would take some time to script (even if by time it ends up being only 2 mins) thats still time, and how often do you see people use colors? almost never. If someone really wants to use colors that bad, then they would already know their color code, or would not be so lazy and would go look it up real fast. The color choices we have now are fine, they would and can meet any need someone might have.

and you are correct by default it is not "black" the color appears black because thats system default. if you use black in the html, and someone has system default to something else, the font would appear black and not their default font color

ps: the above text is set to "[color=Default]" =P
tidruG
Let's see now... the following is an imaginary quote:
(Size increased to improve visibility of the colour)
Quote:
This is a line in black. This is a line in default.

As you can see, default != black (at least for the blockquotes)
Does that solve everything, tempdbs? Smile

Anyway, I'm going to lock this thread now.
Removing the lighter colours is a good suggestion, but ultimately not really worth the time and effort it would take to mess around with the BB Code. Not many people use those colours anyway.

And also, although I did mention that excessive use of colour in posts can be annoying, I'd like to state that colour can be used beautifully to quite an extent (someone mentioned The Philosopher Princess's rainboxing, which is a good example Smile )

-lock-