FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux compiler to .exe file?

KHO
Does anyone know of a compiler for linux that returns a .exe file or anything else that windows can use? I've gotten used to my linux machine, but I need to make a few scripts to automate some tasks on my windows machine.
C++ is the language of choice btw.
Indi
KHO wrote:
Does anyone know of a compiler for linux that returns a .exe file or anything else that windows can use? I've gotten used to my linux machine, but I need to make a few scripts to automate some tasks on my windows machine.

You can use gcc to cross-compile. You just need to download the source for the programs (compiler/assember/etc.) for the target platform (windows in your case) compile them on your dev platform (linux) and away you go. Google for gcc cross-compiling for windows for more info.
KHO
Thanks, I'm familiar with gcc, thats what I was using to compile my linux codes. I didn't know it had a cross platform, should be able to find it in aptitude. Thanks for the help =].
marcuse
Scripts to automate some tasks using c++? Are you kidding? I think either Perl or Python work best. Python is relatively simple to learn. If you still prefer coding in c++ you should recompile your code (assuming portability) using a C/C++ compiler for windows (Mingw port of gcc or microsoft compiler for example).
Nyizsa
KHO wrote:
Does anyone know of a compiler for linux that returns a .exe file...
Wine has some libraries that you may find useful.
KHO wrote:
...or anything else that windows can use?

Check Java, Python and Perl for "out-of-the-box" compatibility!
KHO wrote:
I've gotten used to my linux machine, but I need to make a few scripts to automate some tasks on my windows machine.

C++ code should compile on Window$ if it is not too hardware-specific.
qscomputing
Or you could use Mono, which will create an EXE file that runs with Mono on Linux and .NET on Windows.
d3f3nd3r
i think using python or java is the best idea, thats the easiest way=)
qscomputing
...neither of which produce EXE files. Python and Java apps are also a pain to distribute on Windows because the relevant interpreters aren't a standard part of most Windows setups.
tony
Indi wrote:
KHO wrote:

You can use gcc to cross-compile. You just need to download the source for the programs (compiler/assember/etc.) for the target platform (windows in your case) compile them on your dev platform (linux) and away you go. Google for gcc cross-compiling for windows for more info.

out of the above-posts, this looks the most convincing. gcc is a powerful open-source compiler - i've used it on multiple occassions and with no regrets, sofar Smile