FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with XP bootable CD

surdy
I am facing problem starting XP installation useing XP installation CD.

The exact problem is that when i boot from the CD i get the message...

Press any key to boot from CD.....

when i press any key it boots from the cd , the next message is

Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...

and then the screen blanks out.
The CD is fine as i tried it on some other system its working fine. I can lso boot sucessfully using other bootable Cds like linux and freedos.

I have a corrupt XP installation on my primary partition and Fedora Core 5 installation on logical drive of extended patition.

I somehow feel that it has something to do with my hard disk. If I disconnect the hard disk the CD gets past the Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration... screen and sucessfully starts the initial screen for XP installation (although i cannot continue as no harddisk was detected).

Someone suggested that this has something to do with Fedora installion on my hard disk. Is it true that Fedora installation or partiions can interrupt with the XP setup CD.

Is there any way out boot thruogh cd and start XP installtion.
Tumbleweed
surdy wrote:

Press any key to boot from CD.....

when i press any key it boots from the cd , the next message is

Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...

and then the screen blanks out.
The CD is fine as i tried it on some other system its working fine. I can lso boot sucessfully using other bootable Cds like linux and freedos.

I had a simular problem with a xp cd..........The screen went blank when the user agreement was supposed to be showing , if you have the same problem pressing f8 (agreeing with the agreement) will continue the instalation
surdy
Tumbleweed wrote:

I had a simular problem with a xp cd..........The screen went blank when the user agreement was supposed to be showing , if you have the same problem pressing f8 (agreeing with the agreement) will continue the instalation

no buddy my problem is different ..it blanks much before the user agreement screen
icedrakon
There are two options it either hard disk problem but since it is starting to use
the hard disk and stop there it may not be and there is a second posibility problem with the installation ..
You need fress full reinstall...
sush
If your Fedora install is working you could boot into it and reformat your XP partition. Then boot from the CD and see if it installs. XP not liking Fedora is not a probable reason; I'm sure no one has heard of that happening before, but you never know.
blueray
It seems interesting enough. Hmm.. what is the version of fc you have in use on your computer. With the lastest one fc5 or more ?

Thanks
internetjobs
format your hard disk with third party software like partition magic and others.. then boot your pc with 98 boot cd. then run winnt.exe or for other more run winnt32.exe.. it will not format your system it load windows xp immediately...
windowsx.com
If possible try plugging the hdd into another box and running the install from there. If you run into the same failure you know your hdd might be bad.
daney
He for your problem, i think it could be your HDD.
May be there r some bud clusters on it. try another hdd to see.

u can also, uninstall the seconde OS befor installig XP
corey
surdy, did you fix this?

If not, look into your BIOS and see what it thinks your hard drive should be. It should be set up as LBA. If it shows in the BIOS as CHS, then the CD won't go beyond the black screen. If you change it to LBA, you should have better luck. I had the same symptom and this fixed it.
JBotAlan
You have a few options; the one I would pick is to reformat.

Hopefully it isn't hardware failure.

I would download Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and use one of the disk wipe tools (Hard disk tools > wiping tools). NOTE THAT THIS WILL DESTROY ALL YOUR FILES. Start the wipe; let it run a few seconds or so and then reset the system, either by powering off and powering back on, or pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL. This will corrupt the filesystem, forcing the Windows disc to see nothing there but a blank hard disk drive in need of a format. Then, proceed with your Windows install.

Let's see where you get with that.
Azmo
if you pm me, I can give you the name of a software that will clean everything on ur computer, then simply switch cd to ur xp cd and install cp again.. I did this with my media center.. never got a disc for that..

anyways.. pm me.. don't wanna put the name in here since it's a debate on weather this program is leagal or not (since it clears ur pc, bill gates might run poor in a billion years)
blueray
There are some suggestion that you may try.

1.) Did you cleaned up the MBR of you hard drive ?

2.) If you are using fat filesystem (both fat16 or fat32). You can bootup the computer with a DOS disk and then copy all content within the i386 folder of the Windows XP cd to hard drive and start the installation from here.

Hope this help.
why6487
You may need to reformat your hard drive.