FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Frih$ for Sticky






Good or Bad Idea? (please read complete list of posts before voting)
Great!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Good!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
50/50
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Bad.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Very Bad.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
I don't really care.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Ratmaster
How about one of those things like on NamePros that you can pay a certain amount of Frih$ to have your marketplace article stickied for a certain amount of time?

What about a separate forum for the featured markets? The user could pay and staff could move the specific topic for a certain amount of time, then move the topic back to the Market Place.

The cost could be around 600-800 frih$ each topic and only one topic per user.

There could only be a certain amount of topics in a week, but people could place orders for the weeks that follow.

If you currently have a stickied topic, you cannot purchase another one or make orders for topics later until your sticky period is up.

This post will be edited on my future posts in this topic or ideas.
pashmina
I don't think this is a good idea. If this happened than they would be many many sticky topics by now. It's better how it is now.
Ratmaster
If it costs enough, not as many people would do it, but there can be reserve dates as like 5 per week and people can reserve them for weeks later.

Or there could be another board that is titled "Premium Offers" that people cannot make new topics in but staff could move them there if they paid a certain amount of Frih$.
garionw
I had this idea too, but I think it got deleted as I can't seem to find it
pashmina
is there a mod to this trick. can i have the name of the mod to this.
I would like to give it a try.
silvermesh
I really just see something like this getting abused, though if it were only allowed on certain forums, this wouldn't be a real issue. The question is is it really worth the coding time to do for just one board?
Ratmaster
silvermesh wrote:
I really just see something like this getting abused, though if it were only allowed on certain forums, this wouldn't be a real issue. The question is is it really worth the coding time to do for just one board?
Admins could manually do a sticky if there are a certain amount in a week...
ocalhoun
Probably the best way would be to have a set amount of stickies (such as 3), and auction those three spots for 1 week periods.

-No worries about every thread being a sticky
-No unfairness in choosing who can make it a sticky and who can't (as there would be in there was a set price for it.)
-No inexpensive stickying (the auction would make sure the price stayed reasonably high)
Ratmaster
Probably like 600-800 maybe...
tidruG
The auction thing is a great idea.
This is an idea worth considering, surely Smile
silvermesh
The auction really is a good idea. That would allieviate pretty much all the problems with it.
Animal
From a forum-operation point of view, I think this is a really bad idea. The staff are frequently closing threads and reminding people to read the stickies - they are stickied for a reason. By "selling" rights to make stickies in a forum, we are essentially putting random threads that people don't have to read where announcements or very popular threads should be kept. This is likely to have the effect of stopping people from reading stickies and creating an increase in closed / duplicate threads.

I personally think this is a very bad idea.
Ratmaster
What about a separate forum for the featured markets? The user could pay and staff could move the specific topic for a certain amount of time, then move the topic back.
Manofgames
or how about a new type of sticky is made, with a different icon.

atm, the sticky icon is an exclamation mark in a blob and the thread prefix is sticky.
how about copying the settings for sticky but but the icon is a dollar sign and the prefix is advert or sponser.

eg- advert: Buying Frih for NP$

instead of
sticky: Buying frih for NP$
Ratmaster
Manofgames wrote:
or how about a new type of sticky is made, with a different icon.

atm, the sticky icon is an exclamation mark in a blob and the thread prefix is sticky.
how about copying the settings for sticky but but the icon is a dollar sign and the prefix is advert or sponser.

eg- advert: Buying Frih for NP$

instead of
sticky: Buying frih for NP$

It would be easier if announcements where used, but I think that suggestion was declined by someone...
Hogwarts
How about having it similar to many online auction sites and just change the background colour of the row in which their thing is to a more visible colour?

Could also do this for the Advertise Your Website forum Smile

Can't be that hard... Smile
truespeed
The thing with stickys, i just assume i have read them all and skip past them to the new posts,perhaps i better idea would be to buy a featured discussion on the main page,i would be interested in this as when i do my betting posts,it would guarantee me more exposure and more placed bets.
Hogwarts
truespeed wrote:
The thing with stickys, i just assume i have read them all and skip past them to the new posts,perhaps i better idea would be to buy a featured discussion on the main page,i would be interested in this as when i do my betting posts,it would guarantee me more exposure and more placed bets.

It's a good idea.. But I doubt that it would happen.

The featured topics are a way of informing people of imporant events - Or very good topics people could post in.

To have people advertise in this would be futile, too, as people can purge their featured topics list and it would remove peoples interest from them (If they rarely change, people will more likely notice a difference. They won't get used to them constantly changing to display ads - and therefore the topics in it get more exposure.)

Perhaps some of ads that Bondings plans on removing could be bought for Frih$ - It would certainly give them some value.
truespeed
Hogwarts wrote:


Perhaps some of ads that Bondings plans on removing could be bought for Frih$ - It would certainly give them some value.


Thats an even better idea.
regards
truespeed wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:


Perhaps some of ads that Bondings plans on removing could be bought for Frih$ - It would certainly give them some value.


Thats an even better idea.

I agree with this also, it sounds like a good idea, and it just diversify the uses of $FRIH, as the uses of $FRIH are really limited now. But, would the Bondings agree with this? First, the Bondings want to remove some ads in order to make the panel clearer, rebuilt these ads will just make the panel complicated. Second, allowing people to use $FRIH to buy the ads will decrease the revenue of FRIHOST, as the main income of them comes from ads.
Think about these, guys!

Wink Regards
garionw
Hogwarts wrote:
Perhaps some of ads that Bondings plans on removing could be bought for Frih$ - It would certainly give them some value.


I had that idea, but somehow, I think he'll say no
LostOverThere
I'd modify the idea a little.

How about:

People can post in a board called 'Premium Marketplace' and it is for people asking for something that they will give over 600FRIH$ for.

Like it better?
ocalhoun
LostOverThere wrote:
I'd modify the idea a little.

How about:

People can post in a board called 'Premium Marketplace' and it is for people asking for something that they will give over 600FRIH$ for.

Like it better?

No, the other marketplace would wither away.
Ratmaster
ocalhoun wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
I'd modify the idea a little.

How about:

People can post in a board called 'Premium Marketplace' and it is for people asking for something that they will give over 600FRIH$ for.

Like it better?

No, the other marketplace would wither away.

How would it do that? Not everyone would do that so the other marketplace will still live.
Manofgames
Ratmaster wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
I'd modify the idea a little.

How about:

People can post in a board called 'Premium Marketplace' and it is for people asking for something that they will give over 600FRIH$ for.

Like it better?

No, the other marketplace would wither away.

How would it do that? Not everyone would do that so the other marketplace will still live.


IMO the new marketplace would wither away, and the new one would continue as current.

Personally I think that creating a new type of sticky with or without a coloured thread title, or just paying to colour the thread title are the best ideas Smile

Ratmaster, the options in the poll aren't that brilliant, because its hard to see what people are voting for against (i.e. voting against paying for featured topics, or voting for frih$ for sticky)
Arnie
I doubt many people would currently pay to get more attention on the marketplace, since the marketplace is not that busy anyway. If it gets busier in the future this could be implemented. Currently, it's too much scripting work for the small result it'd bring. If the auction were implemented now, spots would never be sold for 600 Frih$. Rather like 100.

Currently the problem with the Frih$ system, is that having Frih$ doesn't mean much. Occasionally there are interesting offers on the marketplace but it's not that great. So you can't really do much cool stuff with Frih$. To give Frih$ a permanent value, there have to be fixed, stable shops that are always available, selling stuff that people actually want.

So first we have to come up with usable ideas to create a market where Frih$ can be used. What could Frihost give in exchange for Frih$? (Not more hosting or anything else that would cost them real-world money.) Perhaps forum priviliges, such as avatar/signature/user rank/color effects/etc. could be linked to Frih$? Perhaps a shop/item system could be implemented? Perhaps users could put any topic on a special topic list, with 3 spots that will be auctioned? Perhaps Frih$ could be made part of some Frihost users game?

Ideas like this are just not possible.
Quote:
Besides, using $FRIH to exchange a .net domain is really a interesting idea. It would be great if Frihost can offer this services also. Why don't FRIHOST think about that?
We'd all like to get something with real $ value in exchange of Frih$, but that just won't work. So something else must be found. Sites like NamePros get the money they spend on the domains back from ads, but Frihost can't do this. They already spend their ad incomes on our hosting, remember?
Azmo
you can do loads of things with ur imagination, I was just thinking about it, if I was a moderator on a big forum like this, (had my hands full pretty much all the time) I wouldnt feel that this was any high prio thing.. it's for 100% fun. Although I do like the idea of it, but it feels like frihost would need 3 more part time admins to work with this and keep it working as it should.. Imo I'm very happy with frihost as it is now, ofc you can always wish for more, but at the same time, I dont wanna open my mouth and ask for all of it, since frihost already is giving me so much and get like nothing back.. a few posts a day?
reddishblue
Oh jeez, why don't you also bow to Bondings and beg him to make you a mod.
Why do you people constantly insist on topic changing and showing of your portfolio...just quit it OK.
Ratmaster
Azmo wrote:
you can do loads of things with ur imagination, I was just thinking about it, if I was a moderator on a big forum like this, (had my hands full pretty much all the time) I wouldnt feel that this was any high prio thing.. it's for 100% fun. Although I do like the idea of it, but it feels like frihost would need 3 more part time admins to work with this and keep it working as it should.. Imo I'm very happy with frihost as it is now, ofc you can always wish for more, but at the same time, I dont wanna open my mouth and ask for all of it, since frihost already is giving me so much and get like nothing back.. a few posts a day?
I don't see what this has to with the topic point.

Could there be a staff vote or something with this? Because I don't know how this topic is going and I don't think everyone here who posted in this topic voted.
Related topics
Top 10s of the Forum
What are Points and FRIH$ for?
frih$ cash-in to loosen 45 Points limit
Frih$ to CC
Changements to the Points/frih$ system (Discuss)
Ill make signatures for FRIH$
20 Frih$
FAQ : Qu'est ce que les 'FRIH$'?
Separated Announcements, Sticky and Polls
Things that you MUST not SUGGEST -- READ BEFORE POSTING!
want to buy a site banner will pay alot of frih$
One More Question (About Points and FRIH$)
Request: Site Graphics... Will pay big FriH$
FriH Points Disappearing
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.