FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google copied Microsoft ...!!!

Who is best ??
Microsoft
16%
 16%  [ 16 ]
Google
75%
 75%  [ 73 ]
Others
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 97

tempdbs
Hi friends,

The new iGoogle of Google is copy of Start.com which is originated from Microsoft.

Microsoft Launched www.start.com almost an year back but now google released the same thing with some minor changes..

See and compare both of the pages..
And poll your best based on your thoughts & views.
smartpandian
Hey.. this is too much..

Actually, Google has been offering Personalized homepage for more than six months as of my knowledge which was now re named as iGoogle..

Google's Personlaized Home page was copied by Microsoft as Live.com and it was so similar to my yahoo..

ANyway, I am just hearing start.com for the first time..

Google has changed the competition scenario to the umpteenth level with large amount of accusition....
Now Microsoft is trying to join with yahoo to face google...
et-configs
I've never heard of start.com lol.. plus! google is the best anyways lol.. Yahoo has way too many ad's.

Google i vote is better the Microsoft by far Cool
silvermesh
on first impression, i like start.com better, but google has better features(it always tends to). Then again the one I use is start.com Wink
m.rahman
Talking of copycats, I've recently downloaded Internet Explorer 7 (late me!) and everything seemed just like firefox only much slower as it eats up a lot of memory unlike firefox. They didn't even tried to hide the copy thing. Only the look maybe yes, which seemed so typical of Microsoft but hey who are they kidding!
Pilot
I'd say this kind of service is inevitable from both Google and Microsoft, heck from Yahoo and a few others too. People have been looking for this kind of page since the internet was first built.
Sphaerenkern
And google copied the "i" of mac! Shocked Very Happy
So what? It's advertised better than the microsoft thing and seems to even be better...
Manofgames
Netvibes is better than them all.
its userfriendly, easy to setup, allows for custom html widgets, comes with many default presets to show stuff like your delicous bookmarks, your gmail mail, web traffic stats etc.

try it, it truely is amazing- http://www.netvibes.com
jabapyth
copying is the name of the game...pretty much everywhere. (Google just does it better)
Zkish
Google is awesome soo many variations of it out there in different forms it'sd awesome
gtherockgod
And yahoo's had that same kind of setup for years. It's not an owned design so all's fair if you ask me. Wouldn't hurt to be a little more original, but i guess if the formula works...
tempdbs
Hey all,

Soon i'll be back with some more information. Laughing
Not only post your reply.....Please subscribe your favorite poll also....

See you all by EOD........ Cool
babumuchhala
Whats this utter rubbish. I have been using Google's personolize homepage for god knows how long and its been my homepage for now over a year and half!

Here's wat a quick search for "Google Launches Personalized Homepage" got me
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=3506541
Service started on May 20, 2005

iGoogle was simply Personalized Homepage, and now Google is making a serious marketing push.

-End of Discussion-
tempdbs
babumuchhala wrote:
Whats this utter rubbish. I have been using Google's personolize homepage for god knows how long and its been my homepage for now over a year and half!

iGoogle was simply Personalized Homepage, and now Google is making a serious marketing push.

-End of Discussion-

Sorry babumuchhala !!!

You may have used this personalised google web page from almost 18 months as your Home page....But the origin of Personlised web page is from Microsoft itself.. ie almost in the second quarter of 1997.

When compared to iGoogle and Start..look which one is good and easily gettable... Don't be so crazy about google...

Don't get excited to end this discussion.

Thanks for your participation & post done for this discussion....... Laughing
scotty
Who cares? I guess we've established that Microsux copied Google. Google's will be better because Microsoft just can't beat them for innovation well that's MY PERSONAL opinion on which would be better and unless somebody does a detailed comparison that's as good as it's going to get.

But yeh who cares neither service is good, personalised home pages with US stock reports and wrong weather details really don't interest me at all.
tempdbs
scotty wrote:
I guess we've established that Microsux copied Google. .

Donot guess and please follow up the facts which can't be belieavble, But you have to afford them at once....

Thanks for your opinion on Microsoft & Google.
James007
They don't copy, they "improve". (You can choose who's "they" in the previous sentence.)
It might be the same for some people, but it isn't.

Even the Romans already had this system of "imitatio" (imitating) and "aemulatio" (improving). They used it on Greek poetry for instance.
snicker
tempdbs wrote:
babumuchhala wrote:

-End of Discussion-

Sorry babumuchhala !!!

You may have used this personalised google web page from almost 18 months as your Home page....But the origin of Personlised web page is from Microsoft itself.. ie almost in the second quarter of 1997.

When compared to iGoogle and Start..look which one is good and easily gettable... Don't be so crazy about google...

Don't get excited to end this discussion.

Thanks for your participation & post done for this discussion....... Laughing

I am just curious... but can you post some link to articles talking about the microsoft personalized web page dating back to 1997?

Thank you
TurkishGamer
Its pretty much the same, but I like the way igoogle.com looks. It looks better than start.com . And wouldn't google not be without microsoft?
sambhav
Google will always be the winner. Almost all the products of google are just too good.

It will surely beat Microsoft.

I use iGoogle and didnt hear abt start.com till now. And also Gmail is better than Hotmail.
tempdbs
sambhav wrote:
Google will always be the winner. It will surely beat Microsoft.

Dear Friend,
Even these words are not said by Google.. then why you are crazy.. Let's hope as per your wish, that Google will beat Microsoft..
All the best for you and especially for Google.

sambhav wrote:
And also Gmail is better than Hotmail.

I agree with you, but gmail is also having a lot of problems...
Everybody will have their own -ves & +ves......
NuniPio
wow big deal... who started the first blog site? who cares theres tonnes available now. although i do prefer google over microsoft
Fake
I like google better.
Not that I use it more, but I think most microsoft services are slow (msn.com takes ages to open)
Agreed there are millions logged on and slowing their servers, but still, mostly non Microsoft stuff is better
Traveller
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If Google did copy Microsoft, maybe that will make up, just a little, for Microsoft's having copied Apple (a little thing called "Windows" in what became known as the "look and feel" lawsuit). Microsoft's predatory practises have been known for years, but they still continue to make loads of money and people still insist on bowing at the feet of Bill Gates.
Seiji
I wouldn't say they copied anything. If you think so I guess you can say all flash video sites copied YouTube.

I use Yahoo as my home page but I always use Google to search. The iGoogle looks plain so I guess I should just keep Yahoo.
raine dragon
the layout and scheme of both of them looks like Yahoo. It's hard to say who copied who unless you have exact dates for each thing ^^;
R2.DETARD
start.com wrote:
is currently a preview release. This means that you may experience some glitches from time to time or features that may not be fully polished or complete. But we're hoping you're willing to bear a few glitches and partial features in exchange for seeing your thoughts and ideas implemented in this space as fast as we can. These ideas come directly from your feedback, so keep it coming! It's been awesome so far, and we're definitely listening. Stay tuned to see what's coming Smile

Here are some of the things we're currently working on:

* Firefox support
rest assured we haven't abandoned our firefox users and are working on the issues continuously
* OPML import/export
yes, we have this in our previous versions and we'll be adding it to myw3b soon... we've just got a few loose ends to tie up with the user experience
* better default experience
* drag/drop management of the sidebar and folder creation
* import your favorites/bookmarks
* roaming
* UI fit and finish

Looks like it isn't finished...
It isn't as easy to use as iGoogle, doesn't work that good with firefox, not as many cool widgets...
Need I go on?
nilsmo
Well, Microsoft was basically created by cheating off of other companies anyways. Who cares if they get copied off of. Plus start.com is probably not the first homepage like that.
HollyK
Somehow, Im not really surprised that M$ has copied someone else again. They do have a habit of using stuff from the Mac OS. For example, the Start Menu is essentially just an Apple menu that has been dragged to the bottom. Also, Mac OS 10.4 had Widgets before Vista. Isnt it amazing how much they copy great stuff, add their little tweak, and manage to do a great job of messing it up?
tempdbs
Jaan wrote:
Now who is the ass behind the 1 vote for Microsoft?

Please keep your discussion in a decent & polite way.
Donot hurt others by your abusive replies as of the quote (i.e., Jaan's reply).

Be as a frihoster and don't loss your temperment though yours favourite is Google.

Thanks Cool
tempdbs
HollyK wrote:
Start Menu is essentially just an Apple menu that has been dragged to the bottom. Also, Mac OS 10.4 had Widgets before Vista.

Traveller wrote:

Google did copy Microsoft, maybe that will make up, just a little, for Microsoft's having copied Apple (a little thing called "Windows" in what became known as the "look and feel" lawsuit)

In this world,
All are going for copy something from the inventor because to attract the users in one or other way.
After making a copy, they are trying to make some more improvements, if they can...

So, if we have exact launch dates of personalised web pages of Microsoft & Google, then only we can come to decide...
ItsWesley
All of the major companies copy each other sometime so I don't think it really matters, after all it just gives us more choice in what to use.
lukeropro
Oh wow, another thread about a company copying another.
Don't you guys ever get sick of talking about this? So what if google really copied off microsoft? So what if they didn't? Google is just entering the competition. I don't see anything wrong with that. Let's say some company started manufacturing PCs. Is that company 'copying' PC giants like HP or IBM? I'll answer that, no. They are simply competing in the market.
In my opinion, all this talk about whoever copying who is total crap.

Seacrest, out.
xbcd
nilsmo wrote:
Well, Microsoft was basically created by cheating off of other companies anyways. Who cares if they get copied off of. Plus start.com is probably not the first homepage like that.

Exactly. If i remember correctly microsoft made windows after seeing apples new os.
catscratches
Microsoft will never be able to compete with Google.
[FuN]goku
google == microsoft wannabes

but google > microsoft
Razz I only say that cuz i hate microsoft for vista
m-productions
Yeah google has been doing this for a long long time now, and for people that have had gmail even longer... They may have just changed it to "igoogle" but everything else has been here
babumuchhala
Well time to get the facts right, this time around. And I agree last time I only searched for iGoogle history and not for start.com's. Also this discussion is a bit redundant as Start.com is not being developed anymore and is now called Live.com

Start.com History (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live.com#History)
Quote:
On 14 December 2004, start.com, the predecessor to Live.com, began internal testing. On 5 February 2005, the first version, http://www.start.com/1, went live. On 10 March http://www.start.com/2 went live, and on 3 June http://www.start.com/3 went live. On 1 September they released to http://www.start.com/. On 13 September developer sites went live.

Live.com launched on 1 November with the Windows Live brand and various improvements. By 8 November they had added Firefox support. On 23 November themes were added. On 15 December support for Opera 9, new gadgets, and other improvements went live. On 20 December the search engine was improved. 27 January saw support for images in RSS feeds. On 28 February the search box was updated. On 7 March 2006, live.com was updated with a new look, more gadgets, and an improved interface. It also featured, for the first time, the new Windows Live Search. Features include intelligent scrolling, dynamic image search, and saved searches. On 30 March other improvements were made, especially regarding the first run experience and persistence of search-only mode.

On 12 September 2006, Live.com officially came out of beta. In the following few days, MSN Search began redirecting to the new Windows Live Search, and the rollout was complete.

iGoogle History (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGoogle#Aggregation)
Quote:
Customizable homepage, which can contain Web feeds and Google Gadgets. Tabs and themes can be created. It was launched in May 2005. It was originally named with a lowercase i prefix iGoogle, with the codename Mockingbird. Due to this, since the product's release, its URL has had the letters ig (iGoogle) in it. The product was officially named iGoogle on 30 April 2007 after being publicly referred to as Personalized Home since its release. Google also announced additional community features for the iGoogle Gadgets directory.

Now just not to forget the Personalized homepage starter

My Yahoo (http://www.ysearchblog.com/archives/000071.html)
Quote:
When we first launched My Yahoo! in the summer of 1996, it didn't take long before we wanted to do even more with it. Back then, not everyone spent hours a day in their browser, so later that year we launched the My Yahoo! News Ticker to deliver the same personalized news, weather, sports scores and stock quotes directly to the desktop. (gosh, that was over 8 years ago)

Now what I want to say is that, it was nor Google nor Microsoft who started Personalized Homepages in a BIG way but it was Yahoo! who did it first way back in 1996. Personalized Homepages I am sure was concept that was started by somebody maybe even before 1996, but at the end of the day it boils down to implementation. So can I say MS and Google both coppied Yahoo!, well NO, because Personalized Homepage is an Idea and that currently is best being implemented by Google and Live.com comes very close to it.

Also please stop saying MS coppied Goog or Goog coppied MS, because coping would mean literally taking ones codes and putting them on its server and claiming their own. All we do is take someones idea and do it our way!
squirrelmaster
yeah, it seems to me the only real 'copying' is the name iGoogle, stole from the whole iPod iMac Apple logo trend Rolling Eyes
smartpandian
Good work ... babumuchhala!...

Start is stopped and made into Live..

Earlier, I was confused why do Microsoft have two website with same purpose...
now, you post explains everything.. Thanks again..
tempdbs
smartpandian wrote:

Start is stopped and made into Live..

I don't think so as I am still working with Start.com

How can this possible.. can you please....... Wink
erlendhg
Don't care which came first, as long as it works Razz
I think Google's design is more attractive Smile
krazy
i like Microsoft but i like Google as i think it is the best search engine but i had never heard of start.com before i have heard of iGoogle before though
Arnie
I think lukeropro wins. There should be a third option in the poll.
spazbutt32
Google will control everything eventually with their information networking technology.

I don't think this comes as much of a surprise.
tempdbs
Arnie wrote:
I think lukeropro wins. There should be a third option in the poll.

As per "Arnie" saying, A Third option "OTHERS" is added to this poll, in order to extend your choice of poll not limiting to Microsoft & Google.

You can poll "OTHERS" and describe / support your poll as a Reply. Surprised
Vrythramax
xbcd wrote:
nilsmo wrote:

Exactly. If i remember correctly microsoft made windows after seeing apples new os.

err...Not exactly, windows was made as an interface to DOS, I'm sure you all remember what that is. It was made to make the use of DOS easier for newbies, and those to lazy to learn how to use a command prompt.

For all of you playing the home game, it was also what started out Microsnot (yes I am a dedicated M$ hater). DOS was given away free as a marketing ploy, but windows 3.1 was well in the works as Bill Gates and his merry band where working on a GUI to use with the new OS...which upon the advent of the first windows version(s) was still the Disk Operating System (DOS).

DOS did not become a subset of windows until Win95 came along.
reddishblue
Traveller wrote:
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If Google did copy Microsoft, maybe that will make up, just a little, for Microsoft's having copied Apple (a little thing called "Windows" in what became known as the "look and feel" lawsuit). Microsoft's predatory practises have been known for years, but they still continue to make loads of money and people still insist on bowing at the feet of Bill Gates.

Who is bowing? Nobody is saying you shouldn't use a Mac or Linux or Unix.
But (and I am going to get flamed for this) with the exception on OSX they are completely inferior to Windows, the security is not Microsofts fault, its the fault of loser virus/malware programmers the world over.

Most of you love alternate OSs because they are not Microsoft, not for any other reason.
BTW. No Linux OS is as complete and as powerful as Windows is, they are just free...end of story.
soulman
maybe iGoogle was copied from Microsoft but i think iGoogle is better because you can choose so many information and services, but Microsoft only provide Microsoft services which I don't usually get information form.
Qube
I am a MS hater through and through, but I'll tell you this much.
They are greater than Google.
Now now, let me explain.

Look at the history of MS.
They've obviously done something right, yes?
They make [mostly] smart decision moves and have profited greatly from it.
Despite a [partial] monopolization on their part, they're a leading force to be reckoned w/.

The G-Crew is a nice bunch and all, but they're so new to the scene that they can't hope to compete in full w/ MS.
Look at their lab, all their experiments are just that, experiments.
The thing Google has going for them is that they don't release [final versions of] half-baked crap.
They do things and they do them well.
GMail, Google maps, video, search engine.
All done right.
True they might not be the first to introduce these things, but as inventions go, if you can't create something new, improve upon an existing item.
For this reason, Google has my support.

I can only hope that eventually MS will wise up.
I've gotta admit though, they're getting better.
Perhaps they're starting to feel the pressure?

PS: iGoogle made me not wanna use it...
I am NOT an Apple fan.
If the iPod wasn't a great item, I'd stick to Sansa, iRiver or Creative.
Good thing I can throw Linux on it. Very Happy
Vrythramax
@Qube

Good marketing isn't the same thing as doing something right, unless of course you are talking about strictly what is good for your company...and the end user be damned.
yo.hassan
smartpandian wrote:
Hey.. this is too much..

Actually, Google has been offering Personalized homepage for more than six months as of my knowledge which was now re named as iGoogle..

Google's Personlaized Home page was copied by Microsoft as Live.com and it was so similar to my yahoo..

ANyway, I am just hearing start.com for the first time..

Google has changed the competition scenario to the umpteenth level with large amount of accusition....
Now Microsoft is trying to join with yahoo to face google...
so who copied what? whatever it is but google is the leader in this field. hope google would provide free hosting just like frihost with all those phr asp support someday soon
snicker
Vrythramax wrote:

err...Not exactly, windows was made as an interface to DOS, I'm sure you all remember what that is. It was made to make the use of DOS easier for newbies, and those to lazy to learn how to use a command prompt.

For all of you playing the home game, it was also what started out Microsnot (yes I am a dedicated M$ hater). DOS was given away free as a marketing ploy, but windows 3.1 was well in the works as Bill Gates and his merry band where working on a GUI to use with the new OS...which upon the advent of the first windows version(s) was still the Disk Operating System (DOS).

DOS did not become a subset of windows until Win95 came along.

I am well aware that I am going off-topic, and I apologize... but xbcd was almost right about "Windows" not being the first windowed operating system...

The history goes back to Xerox, Lisa and Apple in the beginning of '80es...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_graphical_user_interface

My 2 cents
dz9c
i love google and i dont think they copied. copied is to strong of a word. id say inspired !
Vrythramax
snicker wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

I am well aware that I am going off-topic, and I apologize... but xbcd was almost right about "Windows" not being the first windowed operating system...

The history goes back to Xerox, Lisa and Apple in the beginning of '80es...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_graphical_user_interface

My 2 cents

No need to apologize, nor for me to apologize either...I never said windows was the first "active GUI", I simply pointed how windows started and why it was created. In that respect, we are both correct and in this situation, considering the topic matter was about the alleged copying of other peoples work (by Google or M$), it's actually right on topic....with a bit of digression. Wink
darrenpaul
I prefer Google, alot more, Start isn't that great
alexdude
Microsoft is certainly better because they have developed the most popular Operating System on the market. Most people that are using frihost right now should be using windows xp because its so popular.
tempdbs
All Frihosters,

Thanks for your Poll upto now for Google & as well as for Microsoft.
Today I came to know that there are so many Microsoft Lovers also.
I thought i'll be only the person that support Microsoft.

See the poll upto now 21st MAY 2007 Arrow

guissmo
Sphaerenkern wrote:
And google copied the "i" of mac! Shocked Very Happy
So what? It's advertised better than the microsoft thing and seems to even be better...

good point! Very Happy
tempdbs
alexdude wrote:
Microsoft is certainly better because they have developed the most popular Operating System on the market. Most people that are using frihost right now should be using windows xp because its so popular.

Definitely, I feel Microsoft is better as they are the Founders for various things such as Operating Systems, softwares, and many more....
Now Google is giving a great competition to Microsoft. We ahve to appreciate and greatful to them as they are launching everything into the market.
But we shouldnot forget the fore-father for all; i.e., Microsoft.

I Love Microsoft Laughing
babumuchhala
@tempdbs
You obviously sound like a diehard microsoft fan. Havent seen a MS fanboy in ages.

Yes I do like MS over Apple, bcos I feel Apples policies are more monopolistic than MS. Apple want to have all for it self and dosent leave anything for others whereas MS has made a marketplace where everyone grows.

Plus to everyone who hates MS, why hate it. Bcos of its leadership, I guess one should make MS a case study and see how it grew.

And all Google lovers, what Google is doing today was the same thing being done by MS in the early 1990s, and its turning into the bad guy too (the wall street darling I mean).
Vrythramax
tempdbs wrote:
Definitely, I feel Microsoft is better as they are the Founders for various things such as Operating Systems, softwares, and many more....
Now Google is giving a great competition to Microsoft. We ahve to appreciate and greatful to them as they are launching everything into the market.

I Love Microsoft Laughing

I think you may be just a bit misguided, or at the least mis-spoke yourself. Microsoft was certainly not the fore-father of all operating systems. Microsoft did not invent the operating system, there are, and have been many others before and since M$ created Windows...some of which are much more efficient (memory wise), some are even easier to use than Windows...and don't crash as much. Wink
snicker
tempdbs wrote:

Vrythramax wrote:

I think you may be just a bit misguided, or at the least mis-spoke yourself. Microsoft was certainly not the fore-father of all operating systems. Microsoft did not invent the operating system, there are, and have been many others before and since M$ created Windows...some of which are much more efficient (memory wise), some are even easier to use than Windows...and don't crash as much. Wink

I agree with you, Vrythramax. Actually, I am far from being a microsoft fan, and I do criticize some of their software (their operating systems and almost all of the Office suite are not clear examples of how to design and code a complex application); I do, however, appreciate A LOT the Visual Studio suite (wonderful, THIS is how applications should be developed) and Excel.

By the way, Microsoft should be really appreciated for its marketing strategy and the way it has been able to guide the market following its wishes (up to a few years ago. Now the market is a little bit more complex, I would say, and the situation has changed, having other big actors on the stage, like Google and the bigger GNU/Linux distributions).

Last but not least: the idea behind portlets is not entirely made by Microsoft, Google or Yahoo... they just were the companies economically and technically able to implement that "standard" into a mass service to the end-user.

a few words on portlets on wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portlets

My 2 cents Wink
vaughands
Google owns everyone.

Besides in the near future google will own almost everything!
Google has aleady bought out YouTube I believe and much more. Blogger, AdSense ect.
skygaia
I was told that 60% peopel in the world use google to search information on the internet.
And Google has many business models and developed new business models. Microsoft try to catch up Google . But it looks difficult.
ennnzo
I think that Google did copy Microsoft but Microsoft copied Yahoo. But still, Google took it a step forward and made theirs better which is the thing that matters if you're going to copy. They made it their OWN.
tempdbs
babumuchhala wrote:
@tempdbs
You obviously sound like a diehard microsoft fan. Havent seen a MS fanboy in ages.

Thanks Muchhala

babumuchhala wrote:
Plus to everyone who hates MS, why hate it. Bcos of its leadership, I guess one should make MS a case study and see how it grew.

As you told, No body likes the leadership of only one through out the period. All people deserves if there is a change in any.

babumuchhala wrote:
And all Google lovers, what Google is doing today was the same thing being done by MS in the early 1990s, and its turning into the bad guy too (the wall street darling I mean).

Not totally.. Embarassed But one or other day. Google will face this.
NuniPio
what if google were the first ones to plan it out and MICROSOFT copied the idea, and they became the first ones to publish it, but in reality google were the ones who started it... what if??
xxjpxx
Well, I have known the Google Personalized Webpage for a year I think, they just named iGoogle, the only think I think they copied was the "i"

PS :

They got it from Mac (iPods, iPhone, iTunes) Very Happy Laughing
missdixy
There are tons of start pages like that out in the internet world.
tempdbs
missdixy wrote:
There are tons of start pages like that out in the internet world.

May be **Tons** of messages that can be written like this........
takashiro
Really??? I have never heard such a web site. If google did copy Microsoft, why microsoft did not say anything at all? But You ask us "Which is the best?" of course I chose Microsoft. Almost the word can be seen in every computer.
BugBear
Even if Google did copy microsoft, microsoft wasn't able to market their product while Google obviously can so that just makes microsoft the loser. If you can take an idea and make it better i'm all for it Smile.
MJMX
Google's email is best one. It has over 2GB space and they say its incresing alltime. Google is best search engine, yahoo is worst Cool
hack_man_
Microsoft and Yahoo stole it from Google... I have been using Personalised homepage for years now... It is very good... Live is too complicated and difficult to navigate and Yahoo has way too many ads
tempdbs
MJMX wrote:
Google's email is best one. It has over 2GB space and they say its incresing alltime. Google is best search engine, yahoo is worst Cool

Dear MJMX,

The Funda of giving 2GB or more.. is just making fools all.
May be 5% of users will be using all 2GB space on the Gmail server.
Let me take some example - Are you using the complete 2GB space on your mail.

For some guys it is hepful...
Bockman
Gosh.. Am I a minority here?

2595 MB used....

Truth be told, i DO get a lot of trash on that account and i can't be bothered to clean it up.

My other (more serious) account has 593 MB used.. but that's because i DO delete some stuff. otherwise it would be well over 1.5GB.

Be Well Cool

P.S. - I have a payed mail (10 GB) for work and i can tell you Gmail wouldn't be enough for what i need to have there...
Coclus
Yeah iGoogle has been there for a pretty long time, and it is not like a "invention", although it is very useful.
Vrythramax
Bockman wrote:
Gosh.. Am I a minority here?

2595 MB used....

Truth be told, i DO get a lot of trash on that account and i can't be bothered to clean it up.

My other (more serious) account has 593 MB used.. but that's because i DO delete some stuff. otherwise it would be well over 1.5GB.

Be Well Cool

P.S. - I have a payed mail (10 GB) for work and i can tell you Gmail wouldn't be enough for what i need to have there...

Shocked Wow brother....I thought I was bad! I have taken to creating new accounts on my domain and just trashing them to :blackhole: hell Wink

I tried running my own email server for a while, but found the bandwidth usage, not just for me but added to almost 300 other users, way to much.
tempdbs
hack_man_ wrote:
Microsoft and Yahoo stole it from Google... I have been using Personalised homepage for years now... It is very good... Live is too complicated and difficult to navigate and Yahoo has way too many ads

Coclus wrote:
Yeah iGoogle has been there for a pretty long time, and it is not like a "invention", although it is very useful.

I Hope you have to read the thread from first page onwards..

This thread is related to -
Who started the first personal page either Google or Microsoft.
And poll is based on their history of performance and who serves you better.
zichlone
google is better anyways thats why theyre stock is worth more than microsoft
Bockman
zichlone wrote:

Actually, that is very a subjective comment.

Google:
Fortune's #1 Best Company to Work For (2007)
Fortune 1000 rank: 241

Quote:
Revenues: 10,604.9
Profits: 3,077.4
Assets: 18,473.4
Stockholders' Equity: 17,039.8
Market Value 3/23/2007: 143,609.3

Microsoft:
Fortune's #50 Best Company to Work For (2007)
Fortune 1000 rank: 49

Quote:
Revenues: 44,282.0
Profits: 12,599.0
Assets: 69,597.0
Stockholders' Equity: 40,104.0
Market Value 3/23/2007: 274,380.6

I won't comment on the figures, i leave it to you guys to decide.

Be Well Cool
tempdbs
Bockman wrote:
zichlone wrote:

Actually, that is very a subjective comment.

Google:
Fortune's #1 Best Company to Work For (2007)
Fortune 1000 rank: 241

Quote:
Revenues: 10,604.9
Profits: 3,077.4
Assets: 18,473.4
Stockholders' Equity: 17,039.8
Market Value 3/23/2007: 143,609.3

Microsoft:
Fortune's #50 Best Company to Work For (2007)
Fortune 1000 rank: 49

Quote:
Revenues: 44,282.0
Profits: 12,599.0
Assets: 69,597.0
Stockholders' Equity: 40,104.0
Market Value 3/23/2007: 274,380.6

I won't comment on the figures, i leave it to you guys to decide.

Be Well Cool

Its great dear.....

You won't comment on the figures, but you have given the exact figures.
Keeping the flame and moving away.

Anyhow thanks for your figures on Google & Microsoft
tempdbs
The following are the figures of various Microsoft tools.

These are the Unique users(not repeated)

MSN Home Page - 44,254,000 unique Users
    Windows Live Messenger - 26,204,000 unique Users
    Hotmail - 32,731,000 unique Users
Vrythramax
Well....I know of many people that would still support M$ even after being shown proof of thier own mis-deeds....so the numbers mentioned do not impress me, nor am I surprised at them.

A simple quote about sums it up: "A hungry dog will still run to the master who beats him for food".

Think about it.
Aless
It's all semantics. Tomato, to-mah-to.
froginabox
Google has been offering customized homepages to users (who have a login) for a while now. I like it because there are TONS of little apps and stuff you can put there, along with headlines, you name it. Its great.
tempdbs
Vrythramax wrote:
Well....I know of many people that would still support M$.

Before starting this thread.. One of my friend told that you will be the only person supporting to Microsoft.
But now in 50, almost 10 are supporting.

Hope still there are some Razz Microsoft Lovers are there...
Vrythramax
tempdbs wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

Before starting this thread.. One of my friend told that you will be the only person supporting to Microsoft.

I think you meant to say that I would be the only one NOT supporting Microsnot Laughing

(and I may not be the only one out there.)

FreeBSD Forever!
tempdbs
Vrythramax wrote:
tempdbs wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

I think you meant to say that I would be the only one NOT supporting Microsnot Laughing

(and I may not be the only one out there.)

FreeBSD Forever!

Exactly Max Cool ...

What I wannah to prove my friend that there are so many Micosoft supporters are there though Google Running like a champ and giving compete in all to Microsoft.

Nobody likes the dictatorship through out. They need change and that is what they are acquiring from Google in oppsition to Microsoft... and in future some "xxxxxxxx" in place of Goolge.
achowles
There is always one-upmanship like this. Who cares who copied what from who?

The sooner Google release an OS and take on MS directly the better.
Vrythramax
achowles wrote:

Why should Google waste time and money on research and development when they already use an OS older and more reliable than windows?

Can anybody say UNIX?
Raijenki
Google ownz >.>
Google could copy Microsoft, but Microsoft also copied google...
Does anyone remember the IE7 tab system? Or the IE7 design?
IE7 is almost like a Firefox, but Firefox still ownz Very Happy
tempdbs
Vrythramax wrote:
achowles wrote:

Why should Google waste time and money on research and development when they already use an OS older and more reliable than windows?

Can anybody say UNIX?

You are 100% correct Max.
Google is very crazy to become Leader overall.
They are simply to say "Extra - Ordinary" workers to fulfill one and all
babumuchhala
Wow this post is now going no where.

I thought my post on who started with the start page stuff would end with the post I made. But now here we are speculating about OS from Google and what not.

Isn't it time we gave this thread the burial, because, Microsoft v/s Google is never going to end, and more or less leads to more rubbish posts than ever.

Also what do all the figures put up mean, we all know Microsoft is much bigger than Google, and Google has huge ambitions, and Microsoft is now a wounded tiger wanting to reclaim its past glory, so why not just let it play out and let time decide what happens instead of all of us speculating and flaming for no reason.
Vrythramax
babumuchhala wrote:

I thought my post on who started with the start page stuff would end with the post I made. But now here we are speculating about OS from Google and what not.

Isn't it time we gave this thread the burial, because, Microsoft v/s Google is never going to end, and more or less leads to more rubbish posts than ever.

Also what do all the figures put up mean, we all know Microsoft is much bigger than Google, and Google has huge ambitions, and Microsoft is now a wounded tiger wanting to reclaim its past glory, so why not just let it play out and let time decide what happens instead of all of us speculating and flaming for no reason.

*sigh*....I kind of enjoy the banter back and forth...but as you wish, the topic will be given a decent burial.

Topic will be closed upon author request or another mod closing it. Sad
tempdbs
Vrythramax wrote:
babumuchhala wrote:

*sigh*....I kind of enjoy the banter back and forth...but as you wish, the topic will be given a decent burial.

Topic will be closed upon author request or another mod closing it. Sad

I Hope it's not going away from the actual discussion.
All are just sharing their own feelings on Google and Microsoft.

As Max said - the topic is still in decency lane. Don't be excited to close this without any certainity.
And this thread almost reaching a century replies.

Anyhow Thanks for your suggestion Max.
Sorry babumuchhala if my words hurts you.
Dragonfly
Start.com ? Never heard of it. This is the first time I'm hearing... it is not really popular.. while clicking it opens Live.com website start page. I had been using iGoogle just before FIFA World Cup 2006 in Germany. And I think iGoogle is cute... but I rather use Google Reader instead of this now...

Voted for Google...
tempdbs
Dragonfly wrote:
Start.com ? Never heard of it. This is the first time I'm hearing... it is not really popular.. while clicking it opens Live.com website start page. I had been using iGoogle just before FIFA World Cup 2006 in Germany. And I think iGoogle is cute... but I rather use Google Reader instead of this now...

Voted for Google...

Firstly it was www.start.com and now by trying to access this page, that will divert you to www.live.com

Thats it....
GameSpace
I think Google's is better Very Happy
tempdbs
A funny image about this thread

InsanePL
Ya it`s looks like a copy, google is better because of features, but i like the start simple and clean design Smile
tempdbs
InsanePL wrote:
Ya it`s looks like a copy, google is better because of features, but i like the start simple and clean design Smile

Thats what I am saying... and Start (now Live.com) is pretty simple, colourful and good when compared with iGoogle.

iGoogle may be popular as all the people are well deserved with Google search engine, but for simplcity and look start or live is impressive.
wwfordark
GOOGLE is best.

Dont use Microsoft materials. The new Vista is so bad. it make my computer slowly, very slowly. it have only visual things. Anyway...

i love google, its best. live search is terrible... : Rolling Eyes
tempdbs
wwfordark wrote:

Dont use Microsoft materials.

This is very bad to say and no one will be there without using Microsoft products and materials including YOU.

Let me know what is the OS that you are presently using to surf.
If you are fond of Google.. Love it and use all the available utilities of it but donot isolate the others especially Microsoft.

For all microsoft users - Winows 2008 server is going to ba launched in Febraury 2008 with many more features.

To have more info on it... follow this link
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/default.mspx
J-Evil
You cannot copyright the way your sites content is layed out though, only the content itself.
deStructuralized
The premise of this thread is basically the equivalent of
"Gmail copied Hotmail because Hotmail was first."
"The iPod copied the RCA Lyra because that was one of the first mp3 players around" (and I had it! Nifty little thing, held about 17 songs at a time using CompactFlash technology. I kind of miss it.)
"Tetracycline copied Penicillin because that was the first antibiotic."
"The lightbulb copied the candle because the candle was a nighttime light source first."

See what I mean?

Developers shouldn't be punished for making an old product more accessible, user friendly, feature-packed, or bug-free. And while it may be reasonable to note potential sources of inspiration, accusing Google of theft or plagiarism seems hardly appropriate given the degree of innovation it's brought to mainstream Internet users. In a market economy, it's reasonable to conclude that if Start didn't take off, it's because its design or promotion was flawed. I mean we're not talking small-time programmers here, we're talking two financially powerful, reputable (well maybe not Microsoft), leaders in the tech industry.

And seeing the conversation shift focus towards new potential product developments in Google (an OS) is hardly a reason to try and shut your own thread down. If anything, the topic of a Google OS falls directly in line with "New technologies copying old technologies" philosophy of the first post.
tempdbs
deStructuralized wrote:
I mean we're not talking small-time programmers here, we're talking two financially powerful, reputable (well maybe not Microsoft), leaders in the tech industry.

How you can say that Microsfot is not reputable?

You have kept your reply in most decent way speaking all the business truth... But may I how can you say that sentence giving a very nice statements with very good business logics...?
exarkun
Actually personally, I don't really care much about copying. Because in the end of the day, it is still the quality of the outcome that determines who is better, and the victor doesn't have to be the one that introduced the idea first. Since the older days people already acted in this way, as in, they took people's idea and "improvise" on it, and say that they have invented a new thing. It applies to google or whatever company in the present times as well. We have to get use to it. Wink
pizzownage
I actually believe that google got ti it first because they have offered it for over 6-7 months, but i am not sure how long microsoft has. Anyway microsoft isn't really a search engine, its a giant sompany. Google is a search engine.

pizzownage
gerpg
Microsoft copied Google.

Microsoft have done a poor job of it aswell.... Igoogle load times are faster despite the fact that more people are loading google than msn.

Louis.
ForceRun
Everyone on the web copies each other. It is just the sad state of the world. Just to say that Microsoft hasn't been hit on the whole anti-trust bit goes to show that it can be done. I'm hard pressed to find anything Microsoft has done originally. Windows copies Mac's OS, and Internet Explorer is a very bad copy of Netscape. The list goes on. I just wish people had more of a chose, and would stop supporting Microsoft's cheap copies. That goes for me too as I use Windows, but as a gamer do I have a choice.
refinedruffian
Google ofcourse. There days google is spreading on the web so much. I think it is the ruler.

Hats off to Google.
LumberJack
A google GUI, oh my. Now that would be interesting.
Kaisonic
Meh - that's the competitive market for ya. Consumers like having a choice, so having just one of those would probably make a lot of people unhappy. As for your poll, you'll probably get a 50-50 on that, since it usually seems that an equal number of people end up liking each option. Me? I don't really bother with that kind of stuff. I'll get into it, personalize it a whole bunch, forget about it, go back 2 years later, realize it's completely outdated, and get too lazy to update it. But that's just me.
nfsforever
I think Google is the best...
babumuchhala
OH come on give me a break, and please please please mods its time we shut this down.

People dont want to listen and read the facts but just come and say that I THINK M$ copied Google and vice versa or just say googles the god and M$ sucks and blah blah.

I feel the healthy part of this discussion was over a long time ago, and here's my another polite request to mods to please close this thread.
tempdbs
babumuchhala wrote:
OH come on give me a break, and please please please mods its time we shut this down.

People dont want to listen and read the facts but just come and say that I THINK M$ copied Google and vice versa or just say googles the god and M$ sucks and blah blah.

I feel the healthy part of this discussion was over a long time ago, and here's my another polite request to mods to please close this thread.

Muchhala,

I donot know why are you worried about closing this thread...? Question
And why you are requesting... This is the second time that I noticed...

Hopefully it doesn't matter you..! Surprised

All are sharing their thoughts on the Google and Microsoft.
Bockman
Truth is some of the posters aren't even reading past the first post (and have no idea of what is being discussed at this point)....

..BUT (there's always a but isn't there)... There are still valid points being made and for that reason the topic will remain open.

I do NOT want to see any flaming in here (nor pseudo-moderation) or I will have to lock this thread (AND punish the infractor).

Now let's get back on-topic...

Be Well Cool
jenice
I tend to think that most of these companies copy each other. One will get a good idea and the rest will follow. The only difference is they trade-off for who gets the good idea first.

I like Google much better. I used to use Microsoft's homepage, but I like the features and simplicity of Googles pages.
twilightlover15
this is the first time i've head of start.com
but i like google. i can figure it out easier.
tempdbs
twilightlover15 wrote:
this is the first time i've head of start.com

twilightlover15,

Now it is Live.com - Just get through the previos replies also.
mapleisland
i vote google ther email is the best...
babumuchhala
tempdbs wrote:
Muchhala,

I donot know why are you worried about closing this thread...? Question
And why you are requesting... This is the second time that I noticed...

Hopefully it doesn't matter you..! Surprised

The reason I am asking for it is that, I don't see any value addition but just Crap addition. The post above says I vote for Google because its email is the best.

I would love if someone could add more insights to the topic i.e. the start and development of Personalized Home Pages.

tempdbs wrote:
All are sharing their thoughts on the Google and Microsoft.
Hardly anyone's sharing any. All are busy being Google Fan Boy and crapping Microsoft(bcos thats the in thing)

Again I did be interested if someone really gave some interesting replies on why he/she likes or hates any of the 2 companies we are discussing.

Personally I like Microsoft for getting Computing to the masses and Google for getting the information to the masses.
smartpandian
babumuchhala wrote:
Personally I like Microsoft for getting Computing to the masses and Google for getting the information to the masses.

Good Line about both of them.
Google & microsoft started their business starting from different area. and now there is fight in the overlapping segments.. Each has got lot of accusation and fighting each other. This fight should continue for long.. so that user can enjoy the scene..
carlokes
Hi there,

In my opinion, the idea of original ideas is a bit old nowadays...
We see more and more that companies copy others ideas, improve them and afterwards present them like they were something new...and later on someone will do exactly the same to this same a idea.
Of course this is a bad thing...since nothing (completely) new is actually created but on the other hand is a good way of perfecting something.

Stay Cool.
ftv_flung
"iGoogle" was only labelled that in the last few months.

Before, it was called "Peronalised Home" blah - I was shocked when I saw one day it was "iGoogle"!!

I don't care who copied who - I use Google, not Microsoft or Yahoo! who are rubbish!!!!
phpc0d3r
start.com (live.com now)... You can't be serious

My Yahoo (Like 3 years old!!!!)
Pageflakes
Netvibes
iGoogle

All personalized homepages.
Microsoft is the one copying off of everyone else.
There's nothing innovative about it.
Infact, some of the features,
like the gallery of modules (or blocks) is exactly like google's.

I used to be one of the beta testers for start.com!!!
It's nothing but a knockoff of what other companies have done before.
Both google and microsoft are guilty of that.

Neither party is at fault. It's a food chain. Where big fish (microsoft and google) eat little fish (writely for ex.).
TangoIndia
Tango here. My vote is for Microsoft as this is the brand name for all the inventories that have been copied by many more companies.
Microsoft has made significant changes in the beta version of its new Vista operating system, including desktop search features, which seem to many to be created to compete with Google.
Google should expand its services to challenge Microsoft's monopoly

So Microsoft is the best. Smile [/quote]
vln004
i use igoogle almost everyday. it's nothing more then a personalized start page. EVERY single web portal has one of these things, including yahoo. Google's is the most customizable (IMO). Who gives a rats ass where it originated from. as long as someone is taking the original idea and making it better, i don't care. In there weren't copy cats and imitators we'd still be using stone wheels and rock tools.
Jack_Hammer
jabapyth wrote:
copying is the name of the game...pretty much everywhere. (Google just does it better)

Everybody copies nowadays in the age of tech and the tinterweb, there was a website which showed proffesionals and where they stole their original ideas from.
imamm
I just hear start.com at here. And i was try to browse to www.start.com but redirecting to www.live.com. And the content of both igoogle and live.com are different. By the way i love google with all their service. I love gmail, i love adsense, i love analytic, i love web hosting, and so i love their picasa.
If we wanna to compare, i guess we can compare google with yahoo not live.com. But i 'am not love yahoo so much, because there are much advertise. Good job for google..
xbcd
I personally like all the people who go "look_____ copied ______" they never looked at the history of either of the companies to realize neither started what they now work in.

Man people say apple just copied Microsoft and failed. but its actually Microsoft the copied Apple for the original point and click interface. But Apple didn't make it either it was actually a beta from Xerox that failed (it included a mouse and the CEO didn't like the idea of selling a mouse to customers).

Google copied someone but i can't remember who. Anyway all great companies today had their start with shady practices, which they now condone. Great things will happen when someone can see something and improve on it. Where they will be able to take from others make it better then give it back to more people then before. Each time its given away it needs to be editable so that anyone who sees the product will be able to improve on it in the way they need or to optimize the existing product.
tempdbs
A new look for hotmail here -

Just its cool as the name suggests... Check it out www.coolhotmail.com
smartpandian
Hey.. Just tried my old Hotmail Id...

Now hotmail.. is cool..
but..a bit slow.. still no pop3 whereas gmail with Imap..

I am expecting gmail to do some interface optimization to compete with hotmail..
jmlworld
tempdbs wrote:
Hi friends,

The new iGoogle of Google is copy of Start.com which is originated from Microsoft.

Microsoft Launched www.start.com almost an year back but now google released the same thing with some minor changes..

Both Google and Start.com (which is now live.com) copied from Yahoo. You know, Yahoo had a personalized page called "My Yahoo" (my.yahoo.com). Yahoo launched My Yahoo many years ago, then MSN copied it, after years, Google recopied MSN, and finally Live (Start) copied it...
dolliedreams
Well for me I don't care! Both of them are good for a LOT of different reasons. Very Happy