FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USB vs Bluetooth for Mobile Phone?

ibay
I have a Sony Ericsson W810i mobile phone. I use the USB cable to transfer files from PC to Mobile. The problem is that the Data Transfer speed is very slow. I want to know if using a Bluetooth Card on PC will make file transfer faster than USB ?
asianwannabe999
USB will be faster than your bluetooth connection. I have both a W810i by Sony as well as a Samsung Sync, and both work far faster with a USB cable. I'm not sure why your transfer speeds are slow with a usb cable. I just remember that when I used my Belkin bluetooth dongle to connect to both phones, I was getting only 30 something kb/s transfer speed. Anyone else have experience with this?
ibay
Thanks, so the bottom line is that USB is always faster than Bluetooth.
On my W810i I am getting a USB cable speed of less than 100Kbps, so if I use a Bluetooth connection, it will be definitely slower than the USB, Right?
Bones
Do you have USB 2.0 or 1.1? Check in device manager and under Universal Serial Bus check to see if you have an 'enhanced' usb controller. If it is enhanced, then it is 2.0, if not, then it is 1.1
1.1 is MUCH slower than 2.0

You also may want to check to see if you have any 'other' or 'unknown' devices listed there. You may need to install a chipset driver to enable the 2.0 USB controller.
ibay
Thanks, I will definitely try it.
Srs2388
Mine is both... I can connect my phone to my computer and bluetooth tingtones and pics and vids. I'ts awesome
that's good info... I never messed with using bluetooth on the computer though.
SyncM
Buy a new USB card instead for a Bluetooth device. with USB 2.0 you are way faster then Bluetooth.
ganesh
As people have already said, USB 2.0 is way faster than BlueTooth. Only advantage is that BlueTooth is wireless. But, it also consumes much more power and drains your battery on the mobile phone.
falconfx
Hi!

I prefer to connect my mobile phone to the PC by using the USB connection, since it's more stable and faster than the Bluetooth interface.

Beware that there are two USB standards: the 1.1, which transfers at 8-12 mpbs, and the more recent 2.0, which supports 480 mpbs. Make sure you choose the second one Wink

Hope this will help you.