FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

xls to mysql Converter

fizzo
do you know a converter xls files to mysql free full version that is free? All I see on yahoo and Google is not free and theres this free Demo but it has limited capabilities... Im trying to convert my Excel file to upload it on my Database on the site... Can anyone help me thanks!
powers1983
I don't know of any programs but if you could output your Excel file to a tab delimited text file then you could write a script that inputs each line of your file, finds each value, and inserts it into a database in the correct place.

I'm sure there will be free programs out there as it is not the hardest thing to do (he says ha) but a program that converts .xls to a database will be much more complicated because of all the extra formatting etc in a .xls file.

I will have a wee look later but I would suggest searching for something that can insert a text file instead of a .xls.

David.
powers1983
in fact, mysql will do it for you:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/loading-tables.html

But as I mentioned it needs to be in a tab delimited text file.

Hope that helps.

David.
peaceninja
From the excel worksheet you can generate the sql scripts into another column. you can do something like

= "insert into table whatever value '" & A5 & "'"

where A5 is whatever the contents of cell A5 is. I happen to do this quite frequently since I have set up a process where my colleagues enter information into a spreadsheet and i subsequently generate the "insert into" queries to throw the information into the sql database. I have never had any problems with doing it this way...i am wary of using mysql (ie, phpmyadmin or something) to import a tab delimited file into it if you have a ton of information you are importing, though i cant say that i have ever had any problems doing it this way either.
ngochao
thank verymuch