FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I want to try linux but need help

andy26
hey i dont know much about linux so could someone help me please by putting together what you think the best free linux operating system is and how to install it and a link to a full download of it. last time i tryed to do this on my own i failed. so it would be great if someone helped me. thanx in advance
{name here}
andy26 wrote:
hey i dont know much about linux so could someone help me please by putting together what you think the best free linux operating system is and how to install it and a link to a full download of it. last time i tryed to do this on my own i failed. so it would be great if someone helped me. thanx in advance

There is a sticky on the top of the OS forum about which Linux distro is best. Once you find the distribution you find best, go to its website. There, there will be a link that says "download". Download the x86 .iso file(s) if you have an Intel Pentium processor, or x64 .iso file(s)if you have an Itanium or AMD64 processor. BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A DVD BURNING DRIVE IF THE FILE IS AN ISO MARKED WITH DVD. Otherwise you can use your standard drive. It will take about six hours to completely download an .iso designed for a CD if you don't browse the internet while downloading it, possibly days for a dvd .iso. After you are finished downloading these .iso files, you can burn them onto a CD using an ISO burner such as PowerISO, Nero, or Alcohol 120%. The standard windows burner does not work because you need to open the file in one of these special programs and burn it that way. Now, you can take the disc(s) out, restart your computer, and insert the Disc 1 into your drive BEFORE it even gets to the Windows XP boot screen. Now, if you have your BIOS settings tweaked right, it will work. Otherwise, you'll have to go through BIOS settings. Consult with the distribution's install manual for further instructions.
andy26
Thanx i will try this right now
LostOverThere
Easiest to install would be Mandriva in my opinion.
icedrakon
the debian the latest distribution it is equally easy to install as is mandriva
always be carefull with the partitions in linux...