FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Browsers beside firefox, IE, NS, Opera?

snowymirage
Help me list other types of broswer besides mozilla firefox, Internet Explorer, Netscape, and Opera. I need to know this so I can tets if my website and the layout is compatible with most popular browsers.
boringest
Linux
====
Konqueror
Galeon
Arachne

Mac
===
Safari
Camino

but the above browsers should be produce about the same format as Opera/Firefox.
scs
You missed msn explorer
Maka
scs wrote:
You missed msn explorer

That uses the IE engine. Rolling Eyes
Grimboy
Lynx. If your site renders in a workable way in that then you are good for google and screenreaders as well as speedfreaks.
Antoine_935
Elinks too. it's like Lynx.
otiscom
Maxthon (ie)
ammonkc
there also the OmniWeb for the mac
Ranfaroth
W3M (a text browser, but with images...)
threezeroone
there's Konqueror, a browser in Mandrake Linux.
supjapscrapper
There is also the Vant browser. It use the IE engine but its a far quicker version and with all features you want. Tabbed browsing is just one of them. I use it all the time now with Firefox (which for me stands out as the best browser, really). uhhmm... Bookmarks management and transfer with other browsers is still a little scrappy.
Ranfaroth
supjapscrapper wrote:
It use the IE engine but its a far quicker version
So that's off topic... snowymirage wants to know differents render engines.
Who cares all the GUI stuff ?

By the way, SeaMonkey 1.0a (using a more uptodate gecko version than Firefox 1.0.X for example) was released this week.
mostarac
In most of cases you need Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer.

It's all about page rendering and standards Wink Twisted Evil
coolayush
there is netcaptor
ashok
Easy browse platinum
bananaphone
Ghostzilla - uses the Mozilla Kernel - but very different.
misterdimiz
One more: Neoplanet
ammonkc
Safari is the best. i think I read that it was the only browser to pass the acid 2 test. both IE and Firefox don't even come close to it on the acid 2 test.
tefa_taftaf2010
Avant Browser is the best i used for windows
theasboz
Safari! You just cant beat it. Especialy if you customise it Smile

http://www.resexcellence.com/user_safari.shtml
ammonkc
safari renders everything better than IE and Firefox. its a shame that not too many people know about it. if apple ported safari over to windows, it would kill firefox and IE.
eday2010
Quote:
Maka wrote:

scs wrote:
You missed msn explorer

That uses the IE engine. Rolling Eyes

Netscape 8 also uses the IE Engine. It also uses the Gecko Engine. It's two-in-one. No need for Firefox anymore Smile
Silverman
I heard Firefox is the best for png files...
Cause Internet Explorer doesn't support png files yet...
So if you have some png you see with a NOT transparent background, you using IE ...
And Firefox already support them...
But the problem is that not everyone has it...

Does the other browsers support png files to... cause i don't know them.. ?
Ranfaroth
Yes : all modern graphic browsers support PNG.
Marston
Why wouldn't you just test on MSIE and FireFox? I mean you've got the IE engine there, and the KHTML engine. It seems like going to alot of extra trouble to download every browser under the sun, and test it out. In my experience, FireFox renders pages the same as every other browser thats not on the IE engine (besides text-based browsers)...

That's my 2 cents.
Silverman
I also look at the visiters that don't got FireFox...
Most people i know and visit our forum/website use IE...
I can't turn them all to install FireFox...
But the new IE will support PNG i heard...
elekis
just try that with your site, if it's ok, all browser will be more or less ok

http://validator.w3.org/ and you wil be even put a little picture on your site if you want

a++
Ranfaroth
Marston wrote:
I mean you've got the IE engine there, and the KHTML engine.
Mozilla, SeaMonkey and Firefox use another engine, called gecko.
Opera use another engine too, called presto...
Rolling Eyes
Marston
Ranfaroth wrote:
Marston wrote:
I mean you've got the IE engine there, and the KHTML engine.
Mozilla, SeaMonkey and Firefox use another engine, called gecko.
Opera use another engine too, called presto...
Rolling Eyes
Excuse me, Gecko is based off of the KHTML engine... Not to mention, Opera displays basically the same as FireFox.
Ranfaroth
Marston wrote:
Excuse me, Gecko is based off of the KHTML engine...
That's absolutly wrong
Quote:
Not to mention, Opera displays basically the same as FireFox.
That's absolutly wrong too Rolling Eyes

Just check those 3 engines with the ACID2 test, and you'll realise it by yourself...
eday2010
Opera displays the same as Macromedia Dreamweaver, since Macromedia started using the Presto engine in its web design program.
zebrabongo
I think a lot of posts here went off topic.
It’s not a matter of the “best” browser, but being cross compatible.

Like some people here I would agree that IE, Firefox and to some extent Netscape are the ones to keep track off.
But remember that even between versions the rendering may differ.
IE 5.0, 5.5 and 6 renders some objects differently.

Best way is to be compliant with the most popular browsers/version to begin with, but to keep track of the site visitors and what they are using.
If you see a tendency towards a “not so common” browser, then you can run some tests on it.

Good luck.
evilfoetus
I think firefox is the best browser
Marston
Ranfaroth wrote:
Marston wrote:
Excuse me, Gecko is based off of the KHTML engine...
That's absolutly wrong
Quote:
Not to mention, Opera displays basically the same as FireFox.
That's absolutly wrong too Rolling Eyes

Just check those 3 engines with the ACID2 test, and you'll realise it by yourself...
You're a moron, why do you think Mozilla/FireFox and Netscape display pages EXACTLY the same?
Ranfaroth
Marston wrote:
why do you think Mozilla/FireFox and Netscape display pages EXACTLY the same?
Because they use the same engine (Gecko).

Is there anything else you still don't understand ?
loverboobs
I test my sites for firefox, ie, safari and opera thats it. But generally i only use code that is interpreted by all browsers. The w3c site helps if you are not sure. also www.selfhtml.net is a nice site in german
Ranfaroth
One more browser to deal with :
SeaMonkey 1.0 has been released !

Marston
Ranfaroth wrote:
One more browser to deal with :
SeaMonkey 1.0 has been released !

... Built by the Mozilla foundation - displays just like FireFox.
Ranfaroth
No, Seamonkey is not built by the Mozilla Fundation, but by a community of devs.

SeaMonkey use the gecko browser, like firefox, but a more up-to-date version.
So there're small differences.
Marston
Laughing Always one to argue, eh? You're being pretty pedantic here - there's no point in checking browsers derived from other browsers, there'd never be enough time.
Ranfaroth
Marston wrote:
Laughing Always one to argue, eh?
I'm sorry, but you're saying so many nonsences that I have to correct them
Quote:
there's no point in checking browsers derived from other browsers, there'd never be enough time.
Do you know than between Firefox 1.0.7 and Seamonkey 1.0 there're almost 2 years of development ?
Do you know that between Firefox 1.5 and the latest builds of the 1.5a SeaMonkey branch there're about 5 months of development ?
Do you realise what can be done (and changed) in such a long time ?

(Please, don't try to anwser me before searching a little bit about gecko branches)
Marston
I guess you don't know the meaning of pedantic, do you? Also, they use the same rendering engine...
Chris Thomas wrote:
Anyone who tells you Firefox is faster is probably confused or buying into hype. Every recent test I've seen has SeaMonkey starting up faster (even without QuickLaunch, which makes it launch almost instantaneously - a feature Firefox doesn't have), and they use the exact same rendering engine, so pageload speeds are the same.
Source...
dkbg
Mmmm, well I'll try to sum everything up a bit because this thread is getting a little crazy.

Main Rendering Engines and Browsers:

Gecko: Mozilla Suite, Mozilla Firefox, everything made by the Mozilla Foundation, Netscape 8.0+

By the way, if Seamonkey 1.0 alpha was just released with an updated version of Gecko, thats pretty much irrelevant because market penetration would be incredibly miniscule and the rendering differences are probably not that great.

Trident: Internet Explorer, anything based off of IE
This is probably the most important engine (although also the worst) because it has the highest volume of penetration.

Presto: Opera

KHTML: Konqueror

Webkit: Safari, Omniweb

iCab: A relatively unpopular browser for Mac OSX

You might also want to try taking a look at this list of browsers on Wikipedia for a very comprehensive list.
Ranfaroth
Marston, I guess you just can't read...
I explicitly told you to search for gecko branches, was-it too difficult for you ?

But maybe if you can't understand words, you can see images ?
Let's try...

Open the ACID2 test with Firefox 1.5, and then have a look at the same test with my SeaMonkey :

Understood ?

dkbg, re-posting the list of engines is not enough : you forgot one important parameter, the version.
There can be more differences between 2 versions of the same engine than between 2 different engines Rolling Eyes
Marston
Ranfaroth wrote:
Marston, I guess you just can't read...
I explicitly told you to search for gecko branches, was-it too difficult for you ?

But maybe if you can't understand words, you can see images ?
Let's try...

Open the ACID2 test with Firefox 1.5, and then have a look at the same test with my SeaMonkey :

Understood ?

dkbg, re-posting the list of engines is not enough : you forgot one important parameter, the version.
There can be more differences between 2 versions of the same engine than between 2 different engines Rolling Eyes
So.. you're disputing something that Chris Thomas said? Is that it? I can't waste what little spare time I have talking to a laughably imbecilic moron such as yourself.
Ranfaroth
CTho knows better than you how gecko is branched Laughing
dkbg
As for the versioning issue, I did put in links to Wikipedia articles about each engine which gives a bit of info on the version differences.

This thread has really gone beyond the original request, which was simply to give some alternate browsers in which to test website rendering. If he wants to know all of the differences between each version and how to work around those, he should search around the web to find info which already exists (and is probably better than what we can offer), as that information is out of the scope of a simple forum thread.

Come on people, enough with the bickering.