FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

History, as they say...

uuuuuu
History, as they say, is written by the victors.
Once the battle is lost and won, the voices of the losing side often fade into oblivion.
I am interested in this forgotten, alternative history. The kind that isn't necessarily taught to children.

So far, I have found a history text called, "A People's History of the United States," by an author named Howard Zinn, which tells the stories that we were taught in school from the perspective of the suppressed.

It is an interesting book. It begins with the genocide that Christopher Columbus perpetrated against the people of the West Indies, and continues from there to bring some of the most evil deeds of history's most celebrated heroes to light.

Some posting here, I would imagine, are academics whose studies include the field of history. To those of you, I ask, what are some other great secondary sources of alternative history?

Are there other books similar to this one?

Knowledge is power.
pirki
I have read this text too. It's very interessting to read this. Once I've read a book about an young German man who joined the late 30's the German Marine and it is interessting to have the point of view of a simple soldier during such cruel war as the 2nd world war was.
uuuuuu
Do you remember the name of the book?

Another book that I want to read is Nemesis. It's a speculation towards the decline of the American empire, connecting these speculations with the decline of the Roman empire, and then of the British empire.

What if there were a politics forum? I think I will post that as a suggestion to FriHost.
SlowWalkere
Zinn's work and others like are often called "social history," because they focus on the common people in society rather than major historical "actors," governments, militaries, etc. It's a relatively new type of history (last fourty years or so), but it is rapidly expanding. So, in general, look for people who call themselves "social historians," and you will find more similar works.

As for some specifics, there are two books I would recommend...

Voices of a People's History of the United States. This book was edited by Howard Zinn as a kind of companion to his original book. It contains various primary documents that shed light on the topics he discussed in his book.

Lies My Teacher Told Me, by James Loewen. This is a terrific book, and the core of the argument is that social studies textbooks do a poor job of telling the whole truth, and nothing but they truth. They either lie, omit, or obscure what scholars know in order to tell a specific narrative to students. Although the beginning and end of the book focus on his argument, the bulk of it is his own interpretation of key historical periods/persons - like Columbus' voyage to the United States, the story of Hellen Keller, etc. A great read.

Good luck,
- Walkere