FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how 2 connect to my other pc without going over the net

marrs
Hello
I was wondering if I can connect to my other pc without going over an internet connection?
At the moment I have a wireless router and in the other room my second computer,its working fine but we dont have space for the table anymore.
I was thinking maybe I could connect to my new pc.
I dont want to take the hard drives out cos they are IDE and not ATA anyway thats not the point can I connect to my other pc through a cable or something?
Please get back to me.
Thanks
snicker
Hello marrs,

My comprehension of your problem is: "how do I set up a direct connection between to pcs without passing through my wifi connection?"

There are a few possibilities: the easiest is to use an ethernet cable, if you have one and both your computers possess an ethernet port; use bluetooth to set up a local network, if both your computer have bluetooth (search the internet for possible howtos).

You may use your wifi connection to exchange data between the computers: your data won't go to internet, it will be simply routed through the wifi router...
Kelvin
If your WIFI router has built in ports... then you are lucky, you just have to connect the old comp via network port to the router n you will have establised a connection. You will have to set your Workgroup name as the same for both computers for it to detect each other. Connecting via cable will enable you to get almost optimal speed of transfer.

Else if you want to go through wirelessly, you will also have to configure the Workgroup name as above. Then create a shared folder in your new computer. Run 'Network places' on your old comp and you should detect the shared folder from your new comp. Then all you need is to transfer all the data over wirelessly. Windows XP already has the Shared Documents for each comp... so even without creating a shared folder you can transfer data between computers via this default folder.
shnuffy
There is a more direct route.

You can physically connect the two computers (as I understand this is what you want to do) using a crossover ethernet cable. It must be a crossover cable, not a standard straight through cable. However, it's fairly simple to modify a straight cable to a crossover cable; read this tutorial to see how. Let me know if you're not sure what to do.

First, configure each computer to have a static IP address and a common subnet mask. For instance, computer one's IP could be 192.168.0.1 and computer two's IP 192.168.0.2, and use subnet mask 255.255.255.0 for both.

Make sure both computer are members of the same workgroup (can be anything up to 15 characters).

Lastly, plug in the cable to each computer's working ethernet cards and reboot. Upon startup, you should be able to ping the other computer from the command prompt using: ping 192.168.0.1 or ping 192.168.0.2 depending on which computer you're using. If either ping times out, let me know.

Now you should be able to see the PCs in the workgroup you chose. Make sure to share any folders you want to use.

Don't hesitate to ask for clarification on any of this. Good luck!
SyncM
You can use crossed ethernet cabel (crossed network cabel) or u network usb cabel. is two easy way without the router
coolman1232
I believe you may also use a Firewire cable, if your computer has a firewire port.

Firewire allows you to connect PCs directly, without any internet conection or without the need for even an ethernet card.

Hope it helps.
asianwannabe999
I use a firewire cable in such a way and it works quite well. It transfers files at around 400 kb/s, so faster than USB 1.1 at least
fadirocks
I just use my router to share files Smile it's very easy just connect both PCs if you share a folder make sure to restart because sometimes share folders are not recognized properly
marrs
fadirocks wrote:
I just use my router to share files Smile it's very easy just connect both PCs if you share a folder make sure to restart because sometimes share folders are not recognized properly

Yeah I have had this for a while but we needed the space where the second computer was and I thought what the best way to connect with out having a second monitor and not going through my wireless conection all with cables buts its interesting to realise you can do this with a "firewire" cable also.

Thanks again people.