FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you left-handed?

What is your 'natural' Hand?
I am a left handed person
26%
 26%  [ 39 ]
I am a right handed person
58%
 58%  [ 85 ]
I am ambidextrous
6%
 6%  [ 10 ]
I was left/right handed but became ambidextrous by practice
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
I was left handed but this damn world made my a righty
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
I was right handed but became left handed by practice
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 146

hunnyhiteshseth
Today, while getting ready, I was thinking of this thing... that most discriminated persons in this world are not blacks, nor dalits nor even slaves, they are the left handed people

And while thinking I found that left-hand people are being discriminated in all sorts of way. Some of examples as proof are:-

1) Kick of bikes or scooters are always on right side & that's because the inventor must have been right-handed & thought since right side is more powerful so kick should be in right side, completely ignoring the lefties.

2) A very common example is screw. The screws which are available in market are such that they unscrew in right direction & screw in left direction, that's also because its more natural for righties to unscrew in right direction but its visa-versa for lefties. Washing machines timers also have same problem.

3) This is my personal example, my microwave oven & many which I have seen have control panel on their right, obviously, so that person standing in front of it can operate it easily(of course that is valid only for righties)

4) See the keyboard by which you are typing, there are more keys provided to right hand side in the form of home keys etc. & numeric keys. Evil or Very Mad

Who knows some where some one may have died just because of this discrimination?

So, tell me all you lefties-- the left handed people, all the discrimination you may have faced by this majorly right handed world?

And righties --- Defence yourself & give answers to our allegations.

Also, answer this small poll.

(Well if tone of my post havent made it clear then I may tell you I am left handed too Wink )
pirki
[x] I was left handed but this damn world made my a righty

My Grandma and my mother trained me when I was about two or three years old, to use the right hand, not the "bad" one...
erlendhg
I am right handed.
Have always been, and will always be Very Happy
Hobbit
I'm both. I write and eat with my left, but I can also kinda write with my right. I do everything else with the right, I play the guitar right handed style, I box like a right handed person, I kick with my right, etc.

Does that make me both? I personally haven't been discriminated. In 2nd grade though, I had beautiful penmanship according to my teacher. But something made me start writing with my right hand, and my writing was really crappy but eventually it got better. After a few months I went back to writing with my left even though I was ashamed of it.
ncwdavid
I'm left handed and I don't realy take much notice of it. It can be hard follow instructions for anything that has to be done with your hands because they are usually written for right handed people.

I play guitar the right handed persons way and mostly other stuff. Its only really when I'm writing I use my left hand and my right hand is the stronger one by far.

Oh yeah and is it true that left handed people have something like 10 years taken off their life?
darrenpaul
I am right handed and proud. Remember though, if your a lefty, you'd probably get use to all this "right handed" objects....so I doubt it would bother you too much.
Hobbit
darrenpaul wrote:
I am right handed and proud. Remember though, if your a lefty, you'd probably get use to all this "right handed" objects....so I doubt it would bother you too much.

The only thing I can't get used to is freaking notebooks. It's so annoying having the spirals on your wrists while you try to write. I usually rip out the page unless I have to keep it in the notebooks.
Vrythramax
Personally I am right handed, but my oldest brother and sister are both left handed....I still love them, it doesn't matter to me how they write or hold a fork. Smile
falconfx
I am right handed. Smile

I am happy to be so as it's almost impossible for me to do everything using my left hand.

I really don't know how you left handed can live! Confused

IMHO there are no differences between left and right handed men, but you're right: the former are a bit discriminated.

Bye!
Duncan Idaho
Well, I am right handed, but am sort of good with my left hand, as in I would rely on my right before my left, but I'm not blind on my left side.
Duncan Idaho
Or I suppose I should say I am naturally right handed, but I ain't crappy with my left hand, but yeah, I am right handed.
rheanna
I'm right handed. My left hand is clumsy
Rako
When i was younger i was ambidextrous but this dam world made me use my right hand too much so i became right handed and i don't believe it makes it harder being left handed its just sometimes they make it a little easier for the rights since we are the majority.
Srs2388
I can use either... but I am mainly right handed... I started out left handed though... (in kindergarten) but the teacher told me "your doing it wrong" and I got to using my right hand.
hunnyhiteshseth
pirky wrote:

My Grandma and my mother trained me when I was about two or three years old, to use the right hand, not the "bad" one...

I can understand your feelings.

Hobbit wrote:

I personally haven't been discriminated

Hey, have you ever used any modern thing or equipment?
If yes, then you were discriminated.
If no, then what are you typing with?

darrenpaul wrote:

Ys, that's my point, we have to get used to "right handed" objects & it doesnt come naturally to us. So, that may create some millisecond gap between our speed & that of righty. Why should we suffer this difference?

Srs2388 wrote:

I can use either... but I am mainly right handed... I started out left handed though... (in kindergarten) but the teacher told me "your doing it wrong" and I got to using my right hand.

So, that means you were lefty & this damn world made you righty?
qscomputing
Here's what Cecil Adams has to say on the matter:

In a right-handed world, why is a man's billfold pocket on the left side?
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_395.html

Do left-handers die young?
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_092.html

Personally, I am right-handed and do most things with my right hand. The only two things I can think of where my left hand is stronger:
1. When I type, I touch-type, but not "properly": I use three fingers on the left hand but only one on the right.
2. When I use a laptop, I prefer the thumbstick in the middle of the keyboard over the trackpad underneath it - and I operate it with my left hand. There is probably a good practical reason for this: when I am online, I can scroll (arrow keys) with the right hand and mouse with the left.
Jaan
Throw with my right, kick with my right, write with my left.
Nameless
I'm mostly right handed, with the notable exception of using cutlery the other way around to most people.

I think to say left handed people are being badly discriminated against is somewhat of an exageration. Most people use their right, so most equipment is optimised by right hand use, although there are still left handed items available. That's how business and, well, just about everything works. If items were made in bulk for left handed people, that would be discriminating negatively again right handed people, whom there are more of, for a greater loss in ease of use. Equal amounts of either preferred item would be a waste since most would use one. Not everything is possible to optimise for both hands, or at least not practical, so manufacturers please the majority. This isn't a case of deliberate discrimination against a group in a bad way. Taking your microwave example, the control panel can either be on the left or right (or top or bottom, but that wouldn't fit the standard size/shape of the microwave). The manufacture can either chose to slightly more convenience a majority of the population, or slightly more convenience a minority of the population. The logical choice is obvious. It, of course, also possible for the manufacturer to create two models for left or right handed people. But the costs of doing so would greatly exceed the benefit gained, and potentially increase the prize of either model, which would be a bad thing. For all the items that are considerably awkward to use in one hand, there are left handed variations available. For the things that aren't, the actual inconvenience is very small - especially when you consider even the people who naturally use one hand can learn through practise to use the other were it actually important.

To claim you were discriminated against worse than black or dalits would be quite frankly offensive to those two groups and, I feel, a rather ignorant observation.

(Unless of course by 'most discriminated' you mean the largest number of people are discriminated against, regardless of severity, then your statement may very well be true and you can disregard the above paragraph.)
catscratches
I'm right handed but can write a little bit with my left.

There are many products which are suited for left-handed. It's just that they're not common and does not sell very well since (because of they are not common so they're hard to find). But it's much better now than before, when you had to write with the right hand in school etc. Otherwise the teacher would come and hit you with a stick.
oleszka
I am right handed but I trained myself to write by left hand. Such exercise is good for brain.
shnuffy
I am left-handed. That is, I write with my left hand, and do some other things with it... but the majority of tasks I do with my right. That includes throwing, hockey, golf, etc... I suppose I'm ambidextrous, but I definitely can't write with my right hand... it looks like a 2 year-olds script.

Damn this right handed world we live in...
et-configs
I write with my right hand.

Throw Baseball with right hand.

Play pool with Left Hand

Shoot a basketball lefthanded

i'm just differnet on whatever it is..
snowboardalliance
I'm left handed, though I play hockey/golf/batting in baseball right handed. Also I kick with my right foot and snowboard regular (which is like right-footed).

Hobbit wrote:
darrenpaul wrote:

The only thing I can't get used to is freaking notebooks. It's so annoying having the spirals on your wrists while you try to write. I usually rip out the page unless I have to keep it in the notebooks.

Binders are worse. The rings stick out more, but I've learned to write left handed and avoid it by resting my hand in weird ways.

Any way, I guess I've gotten good at using either hand to adapt to the "discriminatory" items you've talked about, but I mean really, who can't push the microwave buttons with either hand. Actually, I think that some of these things help make you more well rounded, so you can use both of your hands.
jabapyth
im a leftie

what i find annoying is that the english language goes left-right. When writing an essay, etc. in pencil, my litlle finger always gets covered in graphite. Not only is it dirty, but it smudges all of your work! Evil or Very Mad
shwetanshu
i m right handed... though can write with left.. a little dirty handwriting though... and i can do most of the work with left hand too
Bump_on_a_Log08
I'm left-handed and proud of it. I do almost everything with my left hand. I hate all the occurances of things meant for right-handed people. Especially notebooks. I also do not enjoy the whole righting left to right because my hand always smudges everything I write. Something I've noticed though is that my left hand shakes a little but in a contradicting way I have more control of it than my right hand. I guess it comes from years of gripping pens and pencils too tightly. So much so that I have a calice on the last knuckle of my middle finger. I'm sure I have some carpal tunnel syndrome though it has not been proven. Confused

Actually I've heard that lefties are more intelligent than righties. Cool

Maybe to protest all the right-handedness I should write backwards. I dont just mean in a backward order but also the individual letters. Its quite fun, you should try it sometime. Laughing

Also my handwriting is bad left-handed, but trust me, its even worse right-handed. I'm also one of the only high-schoolers that I know of that still writes in cursive.
Hobbit
snowboardalliance wrote:
I'm left handed, though I play hockey/golf/batting in baseball right handed. Also I kick with my right foot and snowboard regular (which is like right-footed).

Hobbit wrote:
darrenpaul wrote:

Binders are worse. The rings stick out more, but I've learned to write left handed and avoid it by resting my hand in weird ways.

Any way, I guess I've gotten good at using either hand to adapt to the "discriminatory" items you've talked about, but I mean really, who can't push the microwave buttons with either hand. Actually, I think that some of these things help make you more well rounded, so you can use both of your hands.

I've learned to not buy binders at ALL for that reason. Razz
k_s_baskar
Hi. I can use my both hands even for writing. my parents trained me to use both hands for writing. it helps me while writing exams n long essays. But both handwriting (using left n using right) are not same. several times it confused my teacher who is validating my answer sheets in school n college days.

it's quite easy n by practice everybody can do this. just watch there will be difference while typing in computer keyboard. Smile
darvit
Both my parents are left-handed [my Mom is "right-handed" just because the evil world forced her to become one XD], but my sibs and I are all right-handed... Okay, not so much my brother, who is originally left-handed.

Bump_on_a_Log08 wrote:

Maybe to protest all the right-handedness I should write backwards. I dont just mean in a backward order but also the individual letters. Its quite fun, you should try it sometime. Laughing

I'm right-handed but I could pretty much write using my left hand. And I could also write backwards with the individual letters. Cool

My right hand is much stronger than my left, though. My right leg is stronger than my left, too.

Since my Dad is left-handed, I've learned to use the computer mouse with my left hand. Smile I much prefer being a left-handed mouse-user. One thing I could never do "left-handedly" is to play guitar left-hand style. That's really difficult. Laughing
et-configs
jabapyth wrote:
im a leftie

what i find annoying is that the english language goes left-right. When writing an essay, etc. in pencil, my litlle finger always gets covered in graphite. Not only is it dirty, but it smudges all of your work! Evil or Very Mad

I never even thought about that before.. that Makes alot more sense that someone who writes right to left should be left handed... While most Americans go right to left with right hand Razz
seanooi
i'm right handed and i guess i'm ok with that.

Few hours ago i just found out that my room mate is left handed and he was cursing about being left handed. He said whenever he uses a marker pen to write on a cd it always smears all over the cd.

My dad is an ambidextrous. I still remember when i was young and had a ton of homework he would usually do some for me, two at a time, hahaha Laughing
bigdan
I'm a leftie in most things, but I can do things (except for writing) with my right.
Aless
I love being left-handed! However, due to a world of righties, I have adapted certain things with my other hand. I use scissors with my right hand, I throw right-handed, and I can bat both ways. There's a lot of things I can do with both hands, but that's through adaptation more than natural ability.
woodenbrick
I'm left handed, though certain things I do right handed, like playing guitar or martial arts (I use my left hand as my 'jab' hand, to make it easier to do sparring drills with people). Also, I'm kinda clumsy and my girlfriends mum seems to think it is to do with me being left handed. I had to peel some potatos the other day and the peeler wasn't a double edged one like im used to, so I ended up peeling them in a very retarded fashion...

Definitely the worst thing about being left handed is when you are writing in a notebook and smudging everything you have just written and not being able to use ring binders etc. without taking the paper out first.
Lessien
Iím also a lefty and rather proud on it. Iím what some people call completely left, meaning Iím not only left-handed but that Iím also left footed (kicking things with my left foot) and my left eye is my master eye. The teachers did try to learn me how to write and do other stuff with my right hand but they pretty much gave up on that. I was just a real hopeless case and had parents who supported me being a lefty. So at the moment I do everything with my left hand except using my knife and fork (use it as the right handed people) and the mouse. Did anyone notice that even a computer mouse is for right-handed people? Thatís why I use it right-handed cause when I learned to use a computer the school didnít have (and still donít) left-handed mousse. Actually my left hand and are much stronger then my right hand and arm. When I stand on my hands I will always fall cause my right arm gives in. Same goes for using a kayak, there I always move to the right cause unwillingly I peddle harder with my left arm. Therefore I always need to be in one for 2 people together with a right handed person.
Bout things not being made for lefties. Anyone looked at the place of a doorknob? They are on the right place for right handed people but not for lefties. And scissors also cut on the wrong side, so we canít see the line, but luckily there are special scissors for that. As for the writing, right now I use a special pen that is strong enough to be pushed over the paper instead being pulled. But nothing can solve the smudges. 
Guess we have to learn to live with that.
But at least you donít get them when your type on your computer, who indeed has a right handed keyboard.
hehe
dkelite
I cant really say that im right or left handed, i might be better for holding stuff in the right while tuning stuff with the left,
also for turning a screw right, i use my right and and i use my left hand for a left turn.
how ever, trows is my right hadn and most others things is spuplied by that. but it also seam to be, that my left arm is getting stronger than my right, so
hunnyhiteshseth
Nameless wrote:

I think to say left handed people are being badly discriminated against is somewhat of an exageration.
Most people use their right, so most equipment is optimised by right hand use, although there are still left handed items available. That's how business and, well, just about everything works. If items were made in bulk for left handed people, that would be discriminating negatively again right handed people, whom there are more of, for a greater loss in ease of use. Equal amounts of either preferred item would be a waste since most would use one. Not everything is possible to optimise for both hands, or at least not practical, so manufacturers please the majority. This isn't a case of deliberate discrimination against a group in a bad way. Taking your microwave example, the control panel can either be on the left or right (or top or bottom, but that wouldn't fit the standard size/shape of the microwave). The manufacture can either chose to slightly more convenience a majority of the population, or slightly more convenience a minority of the population. The logical choice is obvious. It, of course, also possible for the manufacturer to create two models for left or right handed people. But the costs of doing so would greatly exceed the benefit gained, and potentially increase the prize of either model, which would be a bad thing. For all the items that are considerably awkward to use in one hand, there are left handed variations available. For the things that aren't, the actual inconvenience is very small - especially when you consider even the people who naturally use one hand can learn through practise to use the other were it actually important.

To claim you were discriminated against worse than black or dalits would be quite frankly offensive to those two groups and, I feel, a rather ignorant observation.

(Unless of course by 'most discriminated' you mean the largest number of people are discriminated against, regardless of severity, then your statement may very well be true and you can disregard the above paragraph.)

Its not an exageration that we were badly discriminated. Most things are made for right-handed people whether intentionally or not. So, we face discrimination in all phases of life. The most brutal one being in nursery/primary classes, when you get beaten for holding pencil in left-hand(the so called 'wrong hand') Will you not call it a discrimination?

Yes, I know there are some economic reasons for not producing same thing with 2 different models. But the thing is why optimize a product for one group in the first place? For eg. why not have the panel on bottom centre or top centre of the oven? Why not have a double edged-scissor?

snowboardalliance wrote:

Yes, anybody can push a microwave oven but you cant do that involuntarily without practice but right-handed get this advantage. Even if they push button in their sleep they will use their right hand & will at least press the button but no such thing available to you.

Lessien wrote:

Iím also a lefty and rather proud on it. Iím what some people call completely left, meaning Iím not only left-handed but that Iím also left footed (kicking things with my left foot) and my left eye is my master eye.

HEY! I am also a complete lefty in that sense. I also use my left foot to kick, bat left-handed, throw left handed, eat left-handed, do pretty much everything by my left-side except writing & holding mouse.
And obvious reason for that is this damn world.
I used to get scolded, beaten or got hard scale beaten on my left knuckles for holding pencil in right-hand.

Yes, even door-knob discriminates us. Evil or Very Mad
riv_
I'm sort of ambidextrous. Not technically ambi, more multidominant really.
for example, i write with my left hand but print with my right. I eat with whatever hand I pick up the utensiles with - which means I can never remember which is the "right" way to set the table."
frankly, I don't get what all the fuss is about. there are things taht are arder to do because everyhtings set uo for righty's, but some the same is ture for lefty's.
I think the grass is always greener on the other side and you can choose whether to complain about being "dicriminated against" and getting the short end of the stick, or you can choose to be thankful for the good stuff...
Like, leftyfs are right brained thinkers, who are more creative... etc.
My $.02
gtherockgod
Born and raised as a lefty Very Happy and damn proud of it haha
hlavco
Hobbit wrote:
I'm both. I write and eat with my left, but I can also kinda write with my right. I do everything else with the right, I play the guitar right handed style, I box like a right handed person, I kick with my right, etc.

I'm pretty much the same way, except for the guitar part. I do sports with my right hand, and stuff like writing and eating lefty.
Pipo
right handed for everithing Very Happy
crimson_aria
I'm left handed.. coloring,painting,writing. I have a better grip with my left hand. But I use my right hand too for eating, using scissors, playing billiards, playing baseball, etc. I can write with my right but the penmanship is not very good.
m.rahman
In the game of cricket, left handed players are considered to be real gems. Batsman can be easily scared by left-hand spinners and it's a pain-in-the-ass for fielders playing against right-left combination batting attack. I don't know how serious are you but you might wanna start thinking about the game. Wink
mtx
I'm right, bu some things I can do left- play basketball, sometimes write.. but still- right handed
Vedder6
Im right handed but when i play hockey i use both left and right. Same with baseball.. I kick pretty well with my left foot too.. played soccer for a lot of years helps Wink
hunnyhiteshseth
m.rahman wrote:
In the game of cricket, left handed players are considered to be real gems. Batsman can be easily scared by left-hand spinners and it's a pain-in-the-ass for fielders playing against right-left combination batting attack. I don't know how serious are you but you might wanna start thinking about the game. Wink

Ya, I know that. But cricket is different. There its difficult for other right handed players to adjust to style of playing of left-handed players.
Right-left combination created problem because field-placement has to be changed whenever strike is rotated.

But, think of it, when some right-handed players have to adjust to way of playing of left-handed people just for few hours they get 'pain in the ass' & left-handed people have to adjust to right-handed people 24hrs a day, 7 days a week!
iNs@nE
LEFT ALl the way...and a real Proud One
ryanh2006
Hi guys just wanted to add that I am right handed but one of my brothers and my dad are both lefties. Personally I really don't see what the big deal is. Just like colored eyes are a minority gene (if memory serves me correctly) so too is the one for left handed users. I don't think of it as either bad or good and I definitely don't think of it as discriminatory. its simply is and because the majority of mankind is right handed that's why most stuff (keyboards....) are designed for right handed users in mind. I hope that this post hasn't offeneded anyone!! Honest! Smile
HalfBloodPrince
Write with left
Punch with right (stronger)
Kick with right
Throw with right
Eat with right
Prefer chewing in right side of mouth Twisted Evil
Play racquet sports with right

Semi-ambidextorous (sp?)
saratdear
Well, I am right-handed, although I find it fun looking at left handed people. Not laughing or anything, just curious on how they manage.

I don't exactly find any discrimination here on my country, although I know that some people may get upset viewing people eat with their left hand here. Smile
tbsmicro
I am a right handed person, but for some strange reason can use a computer mouse without any problems with my left hand. I write like a 5 year old though if I try and use my left hand for writing!
spazbutt32
I'm left handed, sort of ambidextrous. The only thing I really have problems with is scissors... ugh!
pieman
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Who knows some where some one may have died just because of this discrimination?

Apparently more than 200 left-handed people in the UK alone die each year through using products made for right-handed people!

I think we'd all agree that the world runs on money - would there really be a market for a left-handed motorbike? Or left-handed microwaves? Would it be worth a company making one? I don't think so. I think the proportion of left handed people in the world is very small, so unfortunately they'll have to make do.
hunnyhiteshseth
pieman wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Apparently more than 200 left-handed people in the UK alone die each year through using products made for right-handed people!

This is scary! When I said that statement I was extrapolating the things for the effect. But according to you this is true!

Quote:

I think we'd all agree that the world runs on money - would there really be a market for a left-handed motorbike? Or left-handed microwaves? Would it be worth a company making one? I don't think so. I think the proportion of left handed people in the world is very small, so unfortunately they'll have to make do.

if world runs on money then why dont we see drugs like marijuana etc. being sold at every shop, after all they have huge potential of money.

And my point is that, dont make a left-handed microwave but atleast make a 'neutral' microwave which is not biased towards one section.
skygaia
I'm right-handed...but I was left-handed for a while.
When I was young, my right arm had broken so that I had to use my left hand for couple more months. Finally I could use my left hand very well like right hand. But after I got well, I began to use right hand again. Now I'm completely right-handed.
Obake
I'm left-handed, though not as completely as some of the other people who've posted before me. When I was very young, I used to waver a lot between using my right hand for certain tasks, especially writing, and using my left. Apparently this worried my parents and my teacher, because it was considered a sign of developmental slowness (at the time, I was also hovering on the edge of being sent to a remedial class for reading--I swear if they'd just given me something with an actual story, things would have been fine. 'The fat cat sat on the mat' does not suffice.)

So one of my earliest memories regarding using my left hand versus my right hand actually involves me telling my teacher I'd done a certain task with my right hand, and her telling me to go back and try it again with my left hand 'because that's the one you use more'. I'm possibly the only person in the world who's been told that doing things right-handedly is wrong.

I still swap from one to the other from time to time--especially using cutlery. People have remarked from time to time on how, in the middle of a meal, I'll apparently decide that I've been doing it wrong and swap my knife and fork over. In general I don't have a problem using tools designed with the right-hander in mind. I've even tried using left-handed scissors and swapping my computer mouse over to the left side--and it was a fairly neutrally-shaped mouse, too--and just couldn't get the hang of it. Go figure.

I can write with my right hand--with all the finesse of a three-year-old scrawling their name for the first time, but I can do it. Very Happy I can also do the mirror-writing thing, and that I'm actually good at. Yes, I really was bored in some of my high school classes. Chemistry, mainly.

And I'd like to know--a lot of people have complained about keyboards specifically in this topic, and I was wondering what it was that made them particularly difficult to use. I actually find that I lean on my left hand a lot more than my right when using a keyboard--but then I type a lot more than I game, so I don't, for example, find myself needing the arrows or the Home/End/etc keys very often.

For everyone who has difficulty with smudging their writing because of left-handedness (or, ok, right-handed discrimination against such), I suggest lifting your hand just a little off the paper when you write. It's a pain to begin with, especially for long tracts of writing, but it does work and it probably actually strengthens your hand a little more too.

As for the discrimination thing--well, yes. There is a history there, and there are even certain stereotypes that go along with being left-handed (we're clumsier, but we're also supposedly more artistic and/or intellectual, depending on who you ask. I think the logic is that we're thinkers and righties are doers--because, um, the world is designed in a way that makes it easier for right-handed people to do stuff.) Left-handedness, in the past, has been associated with witchcraft and various other means of dealing with the devil (I'm talking about the medieval Christian conception of witchcraft, not actual Paganism, ancient or contemporary) . Not for nothing does the word 'sinister' come from the Latin for 'left'.

However, I have to agree with Nameless that comparing that discrimination with things like racism or sexism over-exaggerates the point. I'm gay as well as being left-handed, so even though I haven't copped anything like the same degree of discrimination (for either proclivity) as some people have on these forums, I well and truly comprehend what it is like to be told that something that instinctively feels right to you is wrong, wrong, wrong. But left-handed people have not had to live through repeated and systematic attempts at genocide. Left-handed people do not have to worry about whether they will not get the job or the promotion or the career or the pay rise that they want because they are left handed. Left-handed people have not had to fight for their right to vote in democratic nations. Left-handed people, as a group, have not had to fight to be recognised as people, healthy and whole. In that sense, the comparison between this and other forms of discrimination goes well beyond the pale.
BugBear
I'm right handed, so is most of my family exept for one person -,-.

I heard left handed people's brains work differently or something?

anyway i think the hardest part for lefties is writing. They always cover what they just wrote -,- :O

Proud to be a Right Hander ;D
jynxanims
Right handed for me. HOnestly, I don't know how lefties can write. I can understand how they feel, (the same about righties), but the way they have to hold the pen, on the opposite side, it's just weird and uncomfortable, even if I was left-handed, it would still be unconfortable.
pieman
Quote:
if world runs on money then why dont we see drugs like marijuana etc. being sold at every shop, after all they have huge potential of money.

And my point is that, dont make a left-handed microwave but atleast make a 'neutral' microwave which is not biased towards one section.

All microwaves would have to be neutral - otherwise, most people would still buy 'right-handed' microwaves (and this goes for any product). This would result in the company(s) which make the product going out of business - they wouldn't be able to sell nearly as many as their competitors.

It's a very good point you make about the drugs, though. I guess it would be frowned upon in general by society for marijuana to be sold in shops. That sort of negates my argument about the world being run on money, so I guess as a society we do have some morals after all!
achowles
I'm a leftie. The only advantage I've found is using keyboards for gaming.
We can make far better use of the directional arrows than righties.

They're lumbered with trying to make the best of the letter keys, which must suck. Very Happy
mtorregiani
I'm a right handed man. I can't even figure how to write with my left hand.
hunnyhiteshseth
pieman wrote:

All microwaves would have to be neutral - otherwise, most people would still buy 'right-handed' microwaves (and this goes for any product). This would result in the company(s) which make the product going out of business - they wouldn't be able to sell nearly as many as their competitors.

Good point there. Then I think we need some sort of legislation to make only neutral microwaves.( Laughing Laughing Laughing , just joking)
Qube
I swear I'm getting lazier, I didn't even read the whole thread.

I'm a lefty, rather proud of it too.
It makes me, well, me.
Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but didn't ppl used to think left-handed were tools of the devil or something like that?
Ah well.

I write w/ my left, kick w/ my left, punch w/ my left, but do all sorts of things w/ my right.
Damn the right-hand objects of this world.
My most common being spirals, scissors and my mouse.
Yes, I know they make left-hand versions, but I'm too lazy to find them.
Especially spirals...
It's gotten to the point where I only buy those wireless ones.
The ones that are stuck together like post-its.

Wait...I always put my wallet on my right-hand side.
Coincidence or subconscious brainwashing?
You decide.
tefa_taftaf2010
i'm right handed but not il all things

i found that when i try to count some money i use my left hand

and many things like that

whatever left or right everybody of us must do what he want ( right or left never mind Wink Wink Wink )
alexdude
Good Information. I'm not surprised at the poll results. Most people in the world are right handed and I'm not completely sure why.
Zombie
I am ambidextrous when using the computer, I can even photoshop with either hand. But when is comes to writing with a pen, I'm strictly right handed.
nilsmo
My maternal grandfather and sister are left-handed, but I am not.
Grom
Im left handed. Evar Smile
karysky
I am right-handed, but, I always thought that left-handed looked cool.

I always wanted to be a left handed!
krazy
i'm a rightey i always have been and i think i always will be -giggles-
friuser
I'm a right as well but my brother is left handed. Actually he is ambi-dextrous I think. I actually tried once to train my left hand because I wanted to be more flexible but that didn't work. silly huh?
Fake
I am left handed too
Utsav
I am right handed.

I have seen very less left handed.
reddishblue
I am right handed but this thread just inspired me to become ambidextrous, any tips are welcome!
endless
im right handed, i cn write with left but it goes like a stupid text translator, example:
dragon -> qo89oN(N is then like mirror)
ennnzo
I am a righty but I wish I was ambidextrous. I read in magazine that you can be ambidextrous by simply doing normal things you do using the other hand, the one you don't usually use and once, you're used in using both hands, you may now practice writing with both hands. I never got to try it though. I wanna try it sooner or later..
SlitherX
Im right handed, but I can play hockey and shoot with either my left or my right, though I can only write with my right hand.
mialynavahy
I am right handed but i carry bags with my left hand
stevethedog
I'm a rightie but working on playing snooker with my left hand Surprised

I'm quite left sided though as I'd go in for tackles with the left of my body first & I'm left footed too.
a.Bird
I'm a righty but I've gotten good at using my left hand to *ahem* while the right hand is rested comfortably on the computer mouse.

Seriously though, I once tried to brush my teeth with my left hand and ended up with a bloody mouthful. If you ever try this yourself, I recommend starting out very slow as your gums are not impermeable to thrusting tooth brushes.
spykE
I am right handed. Have always been, and will always be.
dz9c
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Today, while getting reeady, I was thinking of this thing... that most discriminated persons in this world are not blacks, nor dalits nor even slaves, they are the left handed people

And while thinking I found that left-hand people are being discriminated in all sorts of way. Some of examples as proof are:-

1) Kick of bikes or scooters are always on right side & that's because the inventor must have been right-handed & thought since right side is more powerful so kick should be in right side, completely ignoring the lefties.

2) A very common example is screw. The screws which are available in market are such that they unscrew in right direction & screw in left direction, that's also because its more natural for righties to unscrew in right direction but its visa-versa for lefties. Washing machines timers also have same problem.

3) This is my personal example, my microwave oven & many which I have seen have control panel on their right, obviously, so that person standing in front of it can operate it easily(of course that is valid only for righties)

4) See the keyboard by which you are typing, there are more keys provided to right hand side in the form of home keys etc. & numeric keys. Evil or Very Mad

So, tell me all you lefties-- the left handed people, all the discrimination you may have faced by this majorly right handed world?

(Well if tone of my post havent made it clear then I may tell you I am left handed too Wink )

ha good points i never thought about it that much but i am a righty so yea i dont like lefties lol
JonasKarl
I'm right-handed myself but there are some things I do left-handed. I think one of them is dealing cards, for example. I was unaware of this until my mother pointed it out when I was about 23 or 24.

My father is ambidextrous, though by nature right-handed, and also deals cards left-handed. You would think that I more than likely picked up this habit from my father but the truth is, I don't remember ever having played cards with him!

My eldest brother is left-handed. When he was at school (in 1950s England), his teachers tried to make him use his right hand. My father went to the school and told them to let him use his left hand if he wanted to. So they left him alone and being left-handed has never held him back.
missdixy
I'm left-handed, but I was forced to learn to write with my right-hand by my elementary teachers who saw left-handedness as a sign of weakness. Anyway, I do most of everything else with my left hand (guitar, softball, you name it.)
hunnyhiteshseth
a.Bird wrote:
I'm a righty but I've gotten good at using my left hand to *ahem* while the right hand is rested comfortably on the computer mouse.

Seriously though, I once tried to brush my teeth with my left hand and ended up with a bloody mouthful. If you ever try this yourself, I recommend starting out very slow as your gums are not impermeable to thrusting tooth brushes.

Man I brush with my left hand everyday.
missdixy
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
a.Bird wrote:

Man I brush with my left hand everyday.

I can brush with either hand!! I am ambidextrous when it comes to brushing my teeth haha!
vaughands
I write right and everything else but when it comes down to sports . . . sorry it's left kick ect or I just plain am no good.
SpellcasterDX
I'm pretty much a righty for everything, but especially handwriting. When I try to write with my left hand, my handwriting comes out terrible. But, in sports, (well soccer) I can kick pretty well with my left foot. My right foot is better though. In handwriting, I try practicing with my left hand, but I'm just not patient. If I don't see results I just quit, so, yeah, I can only write well with my right hand.

For everything else I use my right hand/side and rarely my left hand/side.
RhysAndrews
It's awful being a left-handed guitarist. Small market to play with in terms of buying a new guitar, plus you can't just pick up your mates guitar and play it, you have to bring your own. All your dreams guitar don't come in left-handed models :*(

-Rhys
Utopia GFR
Im a lefty as well and i never felt like i was being discriminated or such even though some people like to joke about left-handed people saying that they might be less reactive or even dumber than right-handed individuals Rolling Eyes

On the other hand, some people consider the left-handed community as more creative than the right-handed one.

I do not really support the idea of creating distinctive communities based upon physical aspects, this is one of the multiple parts applying to social segregation even thought it has no harmful or brutal content to it.

Furthermore I do agree that lefties are left behind when it comes to some industry products (+ social regulation aspects) and their regular use in everday life.

In my case, I never really questionned that topic since I always adapted myself to the given situation.
[FuN]goku
i am both... i write with my write and use my computer with my right and whatnot but.. i eat with my left, i open bottles with my left.. play cards left handed.... (very awkward for cards as i am a card magician and most of the video tutorials i watch are for right's Razz)
McDucque
I'm completely left handed. My brother was too, but he was forced to change through school, and i was much more stubborn.

I don't see what the big deal is...When people go "oh, you're left handed!?" when you're writing something as though you had herpes.
wellerchap
I'm left handed & like the fact it's a minority thing.
It's never been problematic for me or held me back at all.
I do think though that some sportsmen who are left handed look somewhat awkward in their gait.....Phil Mickelson springs immediately to mind, and though it's obviously not been a hinderance to his game, I always think he looks odd in his stance & swing. Maybe I'm just too familiar with so many right-handed players on TV?
mixka
Sorry my bad english. I'm right hand, but i dry use computer mouse to left hand. It is very hard to me.
Tatsumaru
I'm right handed and left legged haha.
liam
i am left handed but since i has a broken wrist in primary school i began to learn with my right. i am still far better with my left though.
Seiorai
Right-handed, but practiced various stuff with the left hand as well, so now there are few things I can't do with both hands Cool

And interesting idea, never would've thought of it (maybe because I never had to face it, being a right-handed person by birth), but indeed I can see not much attention is payed to left-handed people in some aspects of life.
But perhaps, it is considered that a lefty can operate things such as the microwave just as well as a righty...
william
Well, I was born left handed. I use that hand for most of the stuff I do. However, I'm completely capable of doing some things equally well with my left and right hand. My right hand is also better in some things, mainly due to the use of a computer mouse. My left hand remains dominant, but I'm fully capable of doing a lot of stuff with my right.
Coclus
I m right handed, but I wish I would be ambidextrous..
silverdown
Nope I am a right handed person, even though i can right with my left hand pretty well thanks to school detention Smile
JimmyHoffa1029
left - handed people only make 10% of the world

so 1:10 people are lefties =)

~ Jimmy Hoffa Strikes Again ~
MJMX
im right handed and i think left handed ppl should not whine about uncomfort things as it cost very much to do things for left handed ppl. They should instead teach left handed ppl to use right hand.
Ennex
Yeah I'm a left handed person, and all the bull about Lefties living ten years less then someone who uses their right hand is complete nonsense.

LEFTIES ROCK

and we're generally good looking (h)

Ennex (your lord and master)
reddishblue
Well I have been practising writing with my left hand, and it still sucks, but I think I have become ambidextrous, actually, I think I have been for a while, since this has made me notice how much I use it, and it tends to be much less jittery in many things, like swinging a baseball bat.
I am afraid I can't give much advice as to how to become ambidextrous, since it only took a bit of training for me.
Viva ambidextrous people!
Reddish
Sickness
I'm left handed, but I can't play with a left handed guitar... Shocked that's sad but true

How do you call that, half left handed? Mr. Green
bartdou
I'm a right handed, but i envy the right handed, because they are special. I heard such saying: In ancient times the number of right handed people is equal to the number of left handed ones, in the war, right handed people hold the swords in their right hands and the shield in the left hands, the left handed people hold them oppositely, because the heart is in the left of thorax, left handed people are killed easily. and left handed people died more, gradually right ones are much more than left ones. but the few left ones who survive must have great ability to exist in this world, and that's why lots of famous people are left handed.
Mighty_King
I'm a full-fledged right-handed person, LOL. I was one ever since I was born into this world. I have never gotten used to writing left-handed because I can't curve the letters really good like that, but then again, that's probably because I'm a righty and haven't practiced left-handed yet.
IceCreamTruck
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
1) Kick of bikes...

Why did you choose bikes as example number one? You'd think a more solid example would have been used to set up his case, but wait... it gets better.

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

2) A very common example is screw...

This I would have put as number one, because I know that although screws aren't the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about right/left handed objects but they are designed for it to be easy for a right handed person to apply torque when tighening them down. And screw drivers should come with instruction manuals too, but I digress.

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

3) This is my personal example, my microwave oven & many which I have seen have control panel on their right, obviously, so that person standing in front of it can operate it easily (of course that is valid only for righties)

You had me at "microwave".

This is the funniest example in the world. That's it I'm sold on the deal. I'm going to take up using my left hand for everything and I'm going to beat my head against the wall every time I come across something designed for right handed use.

( Seriously beyond a shaddow of a doubt the lowest example on the totem pole. pay attention.)

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

4) See the keyboard by which you are typing... Evil or Very Mad

Don't forget the 10 key number-pad being on the right side of the keyboard!!!! And mice, track balls, and touch-pads... it's a conspiracy!!

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Couldn't find the "Any" key fast enough (ie. Hit any key to activate cockpit eject!! -or- Hit any key to activate fire suppression system! LOLZ)

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

But that's the big joke, see? The big cosmic joke played on left handed people since the beginning of "international standards". You just haven't caught on yet.

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

I have no defence being a right handed person. I just laugh histerically when left handed people die horrible deaths at our right handed trickery. It's one of the simple pleasures in life.

And I registered in the poll as a right handed person, just like everyone else who isn't a left handed freak!! ;-p

PS. All of this was a joke. If you were offended by my comments then you didn't get the joke, and it's ok cause left handed people are just a little slow when it comes to good humor and laughs, and they won't get it either.
IceCreamTruck
McDucque wrote:
When people go "oh, you're left handed!?" when you're writing something as though you had herpes.

I'm laughing so hard right now, i'm going to choke!!!!

When are you left handed people going to figure out how weird you really are!?!?

I mean it's not us right handed people who are holding our pencils in our left hands like total freaks!!!

Seriously, all joking aside, look at the poll results. They are very interesting, and I appriciate the thought that went in to the different options. Although the last option has had no selections at least you know that there are no "left choosers" on frihost, and possibly the world. Except for me of course (He had me at "Microwave").

I guess I can't help but joke around. This topic really has given me the giggles.

My point is that the poll shows just how rare you guys really are. Have you ever noticed that what ever car you buy you didn't seem to notice that many of them on the road before you bought it, but once you bought it you start seeing them everywhere despite the fact that there are many different kinds of cars on the road? It seems like your car is at every intersection in a vareity of colors, some the same as yours.

I imagine that left handed people see each other all the time, but you guys don't look like freaks at first to us right handed people. We have to wait till you get your freak on before we notice just how weird you really are. Usually happens about the time you guys are going for a pen, hense, our general reaction at that time to yell "LEFTY!!!"

Word to the wise, us righties are working on placing the signs by the end of the year: "Not for left-handed use!!" "You must be right handed to ride this ride (Mr. Disney was right handed!!!)" and my personal favorite "Kill Lefty!!" (t-shirts S/M/L/XL)

First hand shakes, then the world!!! (our right-handed motto)
hunnyhiteshseth
IceCreamTruck wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
1) Kick of bikes...

Why did you choose bikes as example number one? You'd think a more solid example would have been used to set up his case, but wait... it gets better.

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

2) A very common example is screw...

This I would have put as number one, because I know that although screws aren't the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about right/left handed objects but they are designed for it to be easy for a right handed person to apply torque when tighening them down. And screw drivers should come with instruction manuals too, but I digress.

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

3) This is my personal example, my microwave oven & many which I have seen have control panel on their right, obviously, so that person standing in front of it can operate it easily (of course that is valid only for righties)

You had me at "microwave".

This is the funniest example in the world. That's it I'm sold on the deal. I'm going to take up using my left hand for everything and I'm going to beat my head against the wall every time I come across something designed for right handed use.

( Seriously beyond a shaddow of a doubt the lowest example on the totem pole. pay attention.)

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

4) See the keyboard by which you are typing... Evil or Very Mad

Don't forget the 10 key number-pad being on the right side of the keyboard!!!! And mice, track balls, and touch-pads... it's a conspiracy!!

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Couldn't find the "Any" key fast enough (ie. Hit any key to activate cockpit eject!! -or- Hit any key to activate fire suppression system! LOLZ)

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

But that's the big joke, see? The big cosmic joke played on left handed people since the beginning of "international standards". You just haven't caught on yet.

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

I have no defence being a right handed person. I just laugh histerically when left handed people die horrible deaths at our right handed trickery. It's one of the simple pleasures in life.

And I registered in the poll as a right handed person, just like everyone else who isn't a left handed freak!! ;-p

PS. All of this was a joke. If you were offended by my comments then you didn't get the joke, and it's ok cause left handed people are just a little slow when it comes to good humor and laughs, and they won't get it either.

Well it was intended to be humurous & still convey truth & I am glad that you found it more than humourous but unfortunately you failed to see the truth behind the humour.
And yes I never said that I am listing examples in any particular order.

About lefties being 'weird', its in your imagination you wierdo.
WMDoney
I'm left-handed and I'm proud of it Smile
Fake
WMDoney wrote:
I'm left-handed and I'm proud of it Smile

i'm lefty too. it's just so cool they way we turn a piece of reciept half way round to sign on it .
ca222
I'm right handed.
I like being right handed but, I can't really say much though; because I've never been left handed before.. And I'm very sure that its not a bad thing at all. It doesn't make you a bad person because you write with a different hand,

I eat with my fork in my right hand, whilst others eat their fork in their left hand, and I feel funny but it feels right to me.
( People think I'm weird for that )

But its not weird at all, its nice to know that people can feel natural with their left or right hand, or even if their both!! Thats even specail! :]

I'd love to use both, because if I broke my arm, And my normal writting hand was unusable, my left hand is always there to chip in! :]
Insanity
I'm right handed, but I would like to be able to use my left hand more often. I play guitar and piano, and it helps immensely if you are able to operate your left and right hand independent of each other, to give them more power so you can play better. So I spend a lot of my days trying to do routine stuff with my left hand. It makes things more interesting as well.
LittleMissPattycake
Wow, who thought that there were that many left-handed people!

I'm left handed, and am the only one in my group of frieds to be left handed. I didn't think that out of 100 people or so, there would be that many left handed people
rainynightstarz
this is interesting!!
i was left handed
but then in elementary school i always messes up left and right
so the teacher told my parents to force me to learn right handed for writing

so now i am ambidextrous!!
Dean_The_Great
They say that 1 in 10 people are left handed. I was once in a class that had nine people, all right handed. There was supposed to be another person, but she couldn't afford it. She was left handed.

For once the statistic works in practice. I guess "they" know what they're talking about.
Shewolf
I am left handed in that meaning that I mostly write and eat with my left hand. I use the right hand as my mouse-hand, and a lot of other stuff as well. I guess I've learned to use both of my hands because of "the right-handed world", so in the end maybe we "lefties" have an advantage, we know how to to use our both our hands Very Happy
yasaki
I'm a righty. Righty rocks ! xD. I just feel more powerful when using my right arm/hand.
zjosie729
I actually haven't seen too many left handed people, but a lot of people who were MADE a righty. Which might just happen with my sister.
tuncadogus
› am right handed but i am practice for ambidextrous
Bengt
right-handed. left-handeds have troubles in daily life indeed Smile
bri4n5
I'm right handed, but i like to do certain things with my left hand, like sweep Smile
BrookfieldPC
I find it so hard to write left handed. It's pretty much impossible for me. I think if I practiced everyday for the rest of my life, I still wouldn't be as good as someone who can write with their left hand naturally. Do scientists know exactly what determines whether a person is left handed or right handed? I'm pretty sure it's simply not "preference".
hunnyhiteshseth
BrookfieldPC wrote:
I find it so hard to write left handed. It's pretty much impossible for me. I think if I practiced everyday for the rest of my life, I still wouldn't be as good as someone who can write with their left hand naturally. Do scientists know exactly what determines whether a person is left handed or right handed? I'm pretty sure it's simply not "preference".

Well thats not true. If you start practising then you can learn to write from left hand within 14 weeks even if you are right-handed. But yes, ofcourse, there will be some difference between you and a natural left-handed person.

Well some scientist say that people who have there left part of brain active are right-handed & those with more active right part are left-handed.
bulek
I am right-handed person, I really can't do work with left hand and I agree that left-handed people have some trouble in daily life. Just check out a mice collection for computers and compare bid for right-handed and left-handed people.
gerpg
Im all lefty, lol... Left footed, Left Handed, Left brained (lost the other half).

I used to have a teacher at primary school that tried to force me to learn to write with my right hand, she used to take the pen out of my left hand and put it in my right and say that i was doing it wrong everytime i picked it up with my left. I just kept picking it up with my left and never letting the teacher make me write with my right. lol, silly cow...

Louis.
eday2010
I'm left handed for writing, but do other things with my right hand as well.
Gieter
achowles wrote:
I'm a leftie. The only advantage I've found is using keyboards for gaming.
We can make far better use of the directional arrows than righties.

They're lumbered with trying to make the best of the letter keys, which must suck. Very Happy

Pwng!

I'm right-handed and I think I will always be right-handed (you never know what happens). Smile
guissmo
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Today, while getting ready, I was thinking of this thing... that most discriminated persons in this world are not blacks, nor dalits nor even slaves, they are the left handed people

Being a leftie is fun. I'm used to sitting on right-handed chairs (though I write using my left). And I'm used to the other common chores which requires right-handedness - though, like writing, I still use my left hand. I'm born with this, so the least I could have done is to get used to everything and not complain anymore.
tony
i am a right-handed individual as i have so much difficulty to use that left. sometimes i will try drawing or writing with my lesser hand and then that is when i will find my difficulty, unable to perform as well at it from that day to day...
hunnyhiteshseth
guissmo wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Being a leftie is fun. I'm used to sitting on right-handed chairs (though I write using my left). And I'm used to the other common chores which requires right-handedness - though, like writing, I still use my left hand. I'm born with this, so the least I could have done is to get used to everything and not complain anymore.

Well no one here is complaining, we are just sharing our views.
medievalman26
I am ambidextrous so I really have no opinion on which hand I use. I suppose that whichever one is closet I end up using so yeah it doesn't matter to me.
skygaia
I'm right handed. I couldn't use my left hand as much as my right hand. But when I was young, I was both...
As I'm getting older, I had used right hand first. And one day I realized that I felt it's not convinient to use left hand. so since then, I have used right hand.
mrimp
I think that left-handers shouldn't be discriminated. It doesn't really change who they are, does it?
eljormaz
et-configs wrote:
jabapyth wrote:
im a leftie

I never even thought about that before.. that Makes alot more sense that someone who writes right to left should be left handed... While most Americans go right to left with right hand Razz

well, there is a number of languages going from right to left... but actually there the right-handedness is predominant as well! then, probably there are much more people complaining there than here...

I am a rightie. My dear brother, a very affectionate and talented lad, Alejandro, is left-handed. I had been always wondering how would it be for a leftie, as long as most of our world has been designed for a right-handed person... but in the end, my bro is doing pretty well, news that are very gratifying!!!
Peterssidan
I'm right handed but I think that people that are left handed learn to use the right hand alot so there is no big deal.
Fake
I am left handed Surprised
riv_
As I think I said before, I'm multidominant... I use my left hand for some things and my right for others, and can switch back and forth pretty easily.
But lately I've noticed that there have been times in my life when I've been more right or left handed.
Right now, I'm distinctly favouring my right handed.
I've been wondering if this is because my life is dominated by left-brain activity. I have een spending many hours a day programming, and learning programming. Certainly a lot of hard linear logic - which is getting easier for me all the time.
I am developing left brain, linear logic habits, and am becoming more right handed.
Hmmmm......
biljap
I'm right handed but I tried to use my left hand to write and though itís readable it doesnít look very good I think it can be easily improved with exercise.
orion_crown1
I'm a right handed person but I'm learning to be ambidextrous.
silverGFX
im ambidextrous by birth Razz makes me uber cool!
Emmer-Compascuum
I used to do everything with my left hand when I was a kid, but eventually I learned to do most things with my right hand as well. Most things. Writing is still a different issue. While I can write with both hands, the handwritings look different. I can write neater with my left hand, although it causes my hand to be covered in ink (which in its turn causes the paper to be covered with ink). Writing with my right hand doesn't cause that problem, but it doesn't look as good and I don't write as fast.
Obake
BrookfieldPC wrote:
I think if I practiced everyday for the rest of my life, I still wouldn't be as good as someone who can write with their left hand naturally.

I don't know...I'm naturally left-handed and sometimes even I have trouble deciphering my handwriting. You probably don't need to practice much to beat my scrawl. :p
sabe
rheanna wrote:
I'm right handed. My left hand is clumsy

With looks like that it does not matter if you are clumsy.

Yes it is sexist etc. but if that is your picture it is true.
sabe
Nameless wrote:
I'm mostly right handed, with the notable exception of using cutlery the other way around to most people.

I think to say left handed people are being badly discriminated against is somewhat of an exageration. Most people use their right, so most equipment is optimised by right hand use, although there are still left handed items available. That's how business and, well, just about everything works. If items were made in bulk for left handed people, that would be discriminating negatively again right handed people, whom there are more of, for a greater loss in ease of use. Equal amounts of either preferred item would be a waste since most would use one. Not everything is possible to optimise for both hands, or at least not practical, so manufacturers please the majority. This isn't a case of deliberate discrimination against a group in a bad way. Taking your microwave example, the control panel can either be on the left or right (or top or bottom, but that wouldn't fit the standard size/shape of the microwave). The manufacture can either chose to slightly more convenience a majority of the population, or slightly more convenience a minority of the population. The logical choice is obvious. It, of course, also possible for the manufacturer to create two models for left or right handed people. But the costs of doing so would greatly exceed the benefit gained, and potentially increase the prize of either model, which would be a bad thing. For all the items that are considerably awkward to use in one hand, there are left handed variations available. For the things that aren't, the actual inconvenience is very small - especially when you consider even the people who naturally use one hand can learn through practise to use the other were it actually important.

If you don't see the discrimination, you can't understand the problem.

Try cutting with scissors with your left hand. You can't see where you are cutting. If you use the scissors as a left handed person would you will be naturally causing the blades to separate and the cut will not be as clean or the scissors will not work.

The average steak knife is sharpened so that if you cut right handed the cut will be flat and you will not see any serrated marks. If you use it left handed it will cut at an angle and you are more apt to see the serration marks.

These are only some of the more obvious problems. That is why left handed people are more apt to get into accidents. I do realize that you have to pick some sort of "norm" when designing stuff but right handed people don't even see that there is a problem. It is like not recognizing that there is discrimination against race, weight, etc. You just need to realize that there are differences and that you do discriminate. If you don't think that there is a problem... You probably are a part of it.
silverdown
I'm a right handed person, the only way I can write clearly.
tony
well i wish i could be ambidextrous but unfortunately i am only right-handed. sorry; i dont surprise the audience w this one :p
hunnyhiteshseth
sabe wrote:

If you don't see the discrimination, you can't understand the problem.

That is why left handed people are more apt to get into accidents. I do realize that you have to pick some sort of "norm" when designing stuff but right handed people don't even see that there is a problem. It is like not recognizing that there is discrimination against race, weight, etc. You just need to realize that there are differences and that you do discriminate. If you don't think that there is a problem... You probably are a part of it.

Well said mate...

It is important for the people to realize this discrimination/problem and be aware of it. otherwise it will go on and on.
BLAK
I am a left handed person, but I only use left hand for writing. I Throw using my right hand.
And I kick football with both legs. Smile
I've got a mate that is left handed but when hes writing some long text he changes hand to right and the text (writing style) is still the same hehe, funny guy Smile

Peace!
windrei
no... i am not left-handed.... but i think left hand can be trained so that it can work as right hand ( if you are right-handed... ) i can use left hand quite freely, although not as good as right hand. i can use it to eat, to write, to play ball games... etc. because some years before, i tried to train it. it's a bit useless but funny to me, hahaha.
greatfire
i was right handed but I trained myself to become ambidextrous. It's just easier to be able to use either hand to do anything. In fact I struggle to think how I would get on just using a single dominant hand.
RootRabbit
I'm right handed always have been
watersoul
I'm right-handed and yep, I've noticed all the things made in the world for right-handed people.
All my left-handed friends are pretty ambidextrous though because of this, and I do wonder who's the lucky/unlucky one's after all!
dinael
I am left handed, although I hold mouse in right hand. Confused
typingphenom2007
I am a right handed person but I do use my left sometimes without knowing.
alem
i am right-handed.
according to a research number of left-handed people has increased from 3% to 11% in a century.
but at this poll left-handed ratio is 26%. i wonder why?
starngao
I'm both. I write and eat with my left, but I can also kinda write with my right. Laughing
DSGamer3002
I'm right handed, but in very very few cases (like when I eat, or raise my hand in a class) I use my left hand.
undergroundking_tourus
it is cool man forcing u using both hands.Right hand man people trained you with forcing.But we right hand pple must stay lazy with our the other hand.So he is beated in that system.
HDirtwater
I write, throw, play tennis, and eat left handed. So I am definitely a left handed person

However, I kick, bat, golf, play hockey, and mouse right handed. I think it's all a matter of how one is raised. I've never swung a baseball bat or golf club any other way than right handed, even though I am left handed. It's pretty weird.