FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Drinking enough water?

roshanjk
Its summer time! With global warming helping to turn the temperatures up, its time to devise simple yet effective ways to keep yourself cool. Its simple and doesn't quite cost you much. You must only be aware of it and have a certain disciple about it... Yes, I am talking about keeping your body hydrated.

You should drink at least about 8-10 glasses of water everyday. More, if you are involved in physical exersion and work-outs. Plus water helps keep your skin well hydrated and glowing.

As a friend of mine once quoted. "If you are not visiting the loo once every hour or so, you are probably not drinking enough water". Smile
mstreet
I never drink enough water. I always go through a lot when I'm working out and my fitness instructor always reminds me to drink 8 glasses a day. I find it hard I know that sounds weird but it is hard to drink that much water a day.
CrimsonStrange
I've always found it amusing that nobody ever set any guidelines about how much water the human body should intake everyday until water started being bottled and it became a readily-available source of profit.

I personally feel as if the "hydration craze" is nothing more than an emotional advertising gimmick to move product.
If you're thirsty or feel as if you need water, then drink some!
But don't chug down multiple bottles/glasses everyday just because some doctor/spokesperson/actor says it's "healthy".
More people need to trust their own instincts when it comes to their health & well-being, rather than relying on the advice of those who stand to make a profit from convincing someone that they're unhealthy unless they do... whatever.

Most people don't realize that it's possible to drink too much water - it's called "water intoxication", (also referred to as hyponatremia/hyperhydration) and it sounds far-fetched, but it's actually a very serious, potentially life-threatening condition that can occur when too much water is introduced too quickly into the human body and the sodium levels of the body drop drastically.

Look it up - it's something worth reading about before you suck down that gallon of water in 5 minutes after mowing the lawn on a hot afternoon.
ncwdavid
I don't drink anywhere near the amount I should. I go through the whole day including working out with maybe 2 glasses of something to drink but not water. I never drink water on its own only if I'm playing in a match or something like that.
shwetanshu
i wake up and drink 2 glasses of water and in a day i drink around 3 litres of water..
driftingfe3s
I really don't think 8 glasses day are needed. I'll drink three or four a day usually, more if I work out or its hot. Lots of the foods we eat already contain water in it, so we don't need all 8 glasses.
k_s_baskar
driftingfe3s wrote:
I really don't think 8 glasses day are needed. I'll drink three or four a day usually, more if I work out or its hot. Lots of the foods we eat already contain water in it, so we don't need all 8 glasses.

It depends on climate of the country you are living. Whereas i am from hot country i need to take 6 to 8 glasses of water, in summer it will increase to 8 to 10.
benjmd
k_s_baskar wrote:
driftingfe3s wrote:

It depends on climate of the country you are living. Whereas i am from hot country i need to take 6 to 8 glasses of water, in summer it will increase to 8 to 10.

You're both right. You do not need to drink 8-10 8 oz. (note, EIGHT OUNCES, which is one-half the volume of your average full-size drinking glass) of water per day as the foods you eat have lots of water in them. People who drink a large volume of water each day (more than a gallon) can actually become overhydrated, which imbalances the electrolytes in their blood. The exception to all these rules is for water loss. If you are vomiting, have diarrhea, or are just sweating a lot, you may need to replace those losses with more water.
genchan
Drinking 8 glasses a day? For me, its possible but I doubt I would be able to keep up with it. During summer, we tend to drink more but way much less in winter. I think its good to drink lots of water but probably impractical to quantify the amount.

And nowadays with pollution and what not, its not just about drinking water BUT quality water... the ones that have been purified or filtered until crystal clear.

And actually, even the doctors themselves ain't unified when it comes to how much water a person should consume a day. In where I live, I can see more and more purified water dispenser installed all over the places both outside of building and inside shopping complexes and public places such as hospitals. Sometimes I do wonder how clean those purified water is as claimed by the vendors.

In some countries, people prefer to drink cold tea in pet bottles instead of water. Are they the same? I wonder...
silvermesh
water cleans your system. You have to drink extraordinary amounts of water to get water intoxicated, and drinking plenty of water has been a recommendation of doctors since well before plastics were invented(not many people bottled water back then, because it was seen as a waste of money)
bottled water came as response to a health craze about drinking lots of water, and people became obsessed with the waters purity.

I don't touch bottled water unless I steal it from work as something to drink on the drive home, but I can still tell you that if you drink enough water, you really do start to feel healthier. this isn't just because you are putting water in, it's also because it's encouraging you NOT to drink sugarry soda or high caffeine energy drinks and things of the sort. For the most part all you need to do is replace the drinks you do drink with water and you are getting your recommended water dosage. most other drinks(not counting healthy drinks like juice and milk) add so much crap to your system that they negate the positive effects of the water in them. It's lessabout adding 100 glasses of water to your daily diet, and more about replacing things like coffee and soda with water.

the emphasis wasn't really put on water before because in the past there really weren't all the unhealthy beverage alternatives like we have today.
chaotikremix
I think I drink about 4+ glasses I day. I dont count. But dont drink too much unless you want to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes. haha Very Happy
tiboo211
Yes water cleans our system. The minimum required is 1.5L a day, and for those who drinks too much, it could be dangerous too because our bady would reject more than it is needed. For example, 1.5L enables you to lose bad bacterias, but if you drink much more, you can lose vitamins and other things that your body need, so be careful too.
Idea Drink enough, not less and not too much!
nilsmo
CrimsonStrange wrote:
But don't chug down multiple bottles/glasses everyday just because some doctor/spokesperson/actor says it's "healthy".

Interestingly, in the Washington, DC area (where I live) tap water is healthier than bottled water.

Quote:
Most people don't realize that it's possible to drink too much water - it's called "water intoxication", (also referred to as hyponatremia/hyperhydration) and it sounds far-fetched, but it's actually a very serious, potentially life-threatening condition that can occur when too much water is introduced too quickly into the human body and the sodium levels of the body drop drastically.

Yeah, I've seen that on some doctor TV show.
TCyou
some people say that a person should drink 3000 c.c water, that's enough.
agustin
Its true. Its so healthy to drink water evere day.
dray101
I drink heaps! Wink
(like over 8 glasses)
I just get real thirsty! Cool
filet
Quote:

I dont think whether it can be consider as drinking too much water, but i guess at that time i drank one whole 2L of water at one go...and i end up vomiting.

What i do as to ensure I drink enuf water, i pour water to my own personal bottle(1.5L) and place it near me... One easy way to judge if you are getting enough water is by the color of your urine, which should be pale yellow or nearly clear.
Drawingguy
Especially with allergies...mouthbreathing at night dries out your throat. Needless to say, this kills in the morning. Anyway, drinking lot's of water may or may not be good for you, but it sure can't be bad (I know about drinking too much water, I just mean a moderate amount). Even if it's psychological, I feel better when I know that I've drunk a decent amount of water. I say to myself "attaboy...way to be healthy," and I feel pretty good about that, so I'll keep drinking my water.
luce
i heard somebody died because of drinking too much water. the effect is that the cells in the body and the pressure around them has to be balanced, if not you die of driing out or having too much water in you. the thing about drinking too much is, that you have to drink really really much, not 3, 4 or 5 but 10 ltrs of water, which nobody wants to do.
cosmicx
I drink about 1 litre - 1.5 litre of water a day...
Is it consider enough to my body? Very Happy
Or I should drink more...
taytay
I just drink water until I feel satisfied. then go back to doin' what ever I was doin'. I'm on a soda diet right now. Stuff's really bad for you... Really though, Any thing with High Fructose Corn syrup in it is going to be bad for you. The stuff is poison to the human body Mad. Livin' in Texas there's just an unjustified satisfaction in a tall glass of ice water after doin' yard work for hours on end in 110+ degree weather. Even then A/C just feels good. haha.
annie14892
Woahl..8 glasses? I barely drink a bottle of water every 1-3 days.. O_o

Everytime I excercise I seem to want more water though, so yeah I tend to stick away from exercising.. x(

Anyways, all this talk about water is making me thirsty. *goes to get some water* Rolling Eyes

*edit* Okay, so I lied.. The water isn't refridgerated, so it's all warm. Yuck. *eats grapes instead*
taytay
Do grapes contain any water?... Would make sense a little. they are very juicy. lol Razz
annie14892
Yeah I think it contains water plus a few other elements.. Very Happy

You didn't know that..? After all, you do water the grape vine, and the water gets absorbed into the vine and goes to the leaves, flowers, and fruits. Very Happy
taytay
well yeah i kinda did... I just never really thought about it.
Guelila
shwetanshu wrote:
i wake up and drink 2 glasses of water and in a day i drink around 3 litres of water..

me too.
I try to constantly drink water when im using the computer. Smile
junomica
i think drinking 8 glasses a day is not possible nowadays. especially in this busy world.. who would care to drink water when they are in a middle of something.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Aures
Quote:
i think drinking 8 glasses a day is not possible nowadays. especially in this busy world.. who would care to drink water when they are in a middle of something.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

What they keep telling us at the med school is that your intestines need water, skin, lungs, kidneys, blood and sleep- They all need the bloody daily minimum of 8 cups only.
Don't dispare, eight isn't really a great, great number. And to facilitate the task, you could just have more than a cup per drink. Razz

I don't think, contrarily to some posters here, that drinking should only be at thirst in a curative_like post-thirst kinda way, especially if the body spends sometime without any water supply as in sleep. Some scientist actually compared sleeping without water to running an 8-hour marathon without a water break!
kerryworkman
luce wrote:
i heard somebody died because of drinking too much water. the effect is that the cells in the body and the pressure around them has to be balanced, if not you die of driing out or having too much water in you. the thing about drinking too much is, that you have to drink really really much, not 3, 4 or 5 but 10 ltrs of water, which nobody wants to do.

There was a contest on the radio where contestants had to drink a given amount of water and the person who could hold off on going to the restroom the longest would win. Unfortunately after the contest one of the contestants died. Needless to say it led to alot of people at the radio station getting fired. I don't know if it was from drinking too much water or if it was related to holding it for too long, but it sounds realted.
junomica
Aures wrote:
Quote:

What they keep telling us at the med school is that your intestines need water, skin, lungs, kidneys, blood and sleep- They all need the bloody daily minimum of 8 cups only.
Don't dispare, eight isn't really a great, great number. And to facilitate the task, you could just have more than a cup per drink. Razz

I don't think, contrarily to some posters here, that drinking should only be at thirst in a curative_like post-thirst kinda way, especially if the body spends sometime without any water supply as in sleep. Some scientist actually compared sleeping without water to running an 8-hour marathon without a water break!

are you a doctor?? cool Laughing Laughing

i think you're right but when sometime that i really get very busy i can't think of drinking water unless i'm thirsty.. but i guess i'm following your advice Very Happy Very Happy
viraj
Water drinking habits changes when a person comes to a different climate? Espically a person from warm climate when comes to cold region losses his appitite for water. This is serious problem and may lead to disorder.

Also, I have seen people too busy in their work take no concern on there water intake.

I feel for a healthy body one must drink water every 2 hrs. May be in sips, but one must continue drinking. There may be people saying that they dont get thirsty, I do agree but still I will prefer to have some drinking water bottle nearby and taking sips periodically.

Good drinking hbits will definately make your routine healthy. Also, dont forget to have enough water at nite before sleep. This will help in digestion and smooth the natural cause in the morning.

People having piles should not avoid drinking water.

I dont know how far cold drinks server a sibustitutes to water?
taitj
Anyone remember the lady that had gone into a water drinking competition to win a Nintendo Wii and ended up dying from water intoxication. Anyways she drank like 20L or something crazy.
tijn01
Drinking enough water is very important.... since we exist mostly of water. I always forget to drink enough... but I reckon at least 1.5-2.0l a day as the minimum
russel26
water is good for health
Aures
taitj wrote:
Anyone remember the lady that had gone into a water drinking competition to win a Nintendo Wii and ended up dying from water intoxication. Anyways she drank like 20L or something crazy.

Yeah, I remember that story, and was talking about it the other day. Didn't she want theWii to give it to her kid, though?
macey
I drink about only 5 cups a day. Rolling Eyes I think that's not good at all.
Well, I'm gonna go drink water now.. that adds to my five cups, right?
biljap
I’m aware that drinking enough water is very important for health but somehow I always forget to drink it… Sometimes it is so little… maybe 2-3 glasses. Then when I start to feel bad I remember and drink a lot of it, not only when I’m thirsty. And then, after few days, it's the same story. What is even worst, I don’t forget to drink coffee.
Vlien
CrimsonStrange wrote:

I personally feel as if the "hydration craze" is nothing more than an emotional advertising gimmick to move product.

I totally agree with you. There are people who say you ought to drink at least 2 liters, up to 3!, a day... that's nearly impossible Very Happy plus I'd have to go to the supermarket everyday...
viraj
Water Therepy: Lesson 1
------------------------------

Drink at least 6 glass water (approx 1.5 liters) every day.

You will not believe this will help you to:

Avoide Medicine, Tablets, Injections, Diagnosis, Doctor Fees..

You will not believe unless you practice it.
viraj
Blood Pressure/Hyper Tension, Anemia (Blood Shortage), Rheumatism (Pain in joints/muscles)

General Paralysis, Obesity, Arthritis, Sinusitis, Tachycardia, Giddiness

Cough, Leukemia, Asthma, ,Bronchitis, Pulmonary Tuberculosis, Meningitis, Kidney Stones

Urogenital Diseases, Hyper Acidity, Ophthalmic Hermorrhage & Opthalmia (Reddisheye)

Irregular Menstruation, Breast Cancer, Laryngitis, Headache, Leukemia etc. etc.

Can be avoided by proper water therepy
viraj
--- Therapy Procedure ---

Early morning, after you get up from bed, (without even brushing your teeth) drink 1.50 liters of water i.e., 5 to 6 glasses. Let us all know that ancient Indians termed this therapy as “Usha Paana Chikitsa”. You may wash your face thereafter.

Here it is very essential to note that nothing else, neither drinks nor solid food of any sort should be taken within 1 hour before and after drinking these 1.5 liters of water.

It is also to be strictly observed that no alcoholic drinks should be taken the previous night.
If required, boiled and filtered water may be used for this purpose.

Razz
viraj
By Research and Experience the following diseases are observed to be cured with this therapy within the indicated days as below:

Constipation - 1 day
Acidity - 2 days
Diabetes - 7 days
Cancer - 4 weeks
Pulminory TB - 3 months
BP & Hypertension – 4 weeks
viraj
How Does Pure Water Act?

Consuming ordinary drinking water by the right method purifies human body. It renders the colon more effective by forming new fresh blood, known in medical terms as “Haematopaises”. That the mucousal folds of the colon and intestines are activated by this method, is an undisputed fact, just as the theory that new fresh blood is produced by the mucousal fold.
viraj
If the colon is cleansed then the nutrients of the food taken several times a day will be absorbed and by the action of the mucousal folds they are turned into fresh blood. The blood is all important in curing ailments and restoring health and for this water should be consumed in a regular pattern.

Razz
viraj
Vlien wrote:
CrimsonStrange wrote:

I totally agree with you. There are people who say you ought to drink at least 2 liters, up to 3!, a day... that's nearly impossible Very Happy plus I'd have to go to the supermarket everyday...

Its like a medicine. And no medicine is felt out of thirst. I can assure you once you start practicing drinking enough water you will definitely feel the difference. Its like a workout model which will look painful on the first and second day.. but once you are used to it you will be more delighted to do it...

But remember, enough is the key word.. don't do like the women mentioned who gave up her life for thirst....

Razz
icecool
it really depends so much on a lot of factors. i moved to the sub tropics 4 years ago from the uk and i'm still learning to get it right. i try to keep to a routine - it's easy if i work from home, i'm near a tap and always have a glass on the go sipping. but when i'm out and about it's not so easy and i find myself sometimes going for hours without any drink at all.

i soon suffer for it. my eyes dry up, my neck gets really tight and i get a headache on the base of my neck. worst thing i can do is not drink anything before i go to sleep. in the mornings i wake up and feel shattered - one of the main symptons of dehydration is feeling sleepy and slowing down.

i literally can feel my blood getting thicker and it being an effort to pump it round my body.

i advise everybody to listen to your body - it knows best what it needs. if you're thirsty, drink without any excuse.

cheers
weiwei
i seldom drink water.. i know that is not health..i will try to change.
patasarriba
I once heard that your body often confuses thirst pangs with hunger pangs, so if you don't drink enough water, you'll think you're hungry and gain weight.

There have been a few times when I had no money for food at all so I just drank water to fill myself up. It worked okay for a few days but I didn't lose any weight -- water as a dieting tool only works if you use it to replace sugary drinks.
titansmlb102
Actually, an easier way to think about it is:

You know an Aquafina bottle? It contains around 16 fl oz. Drink 4 bottles of that a day, and you have your amount needed.
edzofcit
Drinking 8-10 glasses of water daily is very important to our body. It flushes dirt and keeps our internal systems flowing smoothly. It is very recommended to do this in order to stay fit and have a healthy body. It is also a way to prevent us from getting sick and will keep the diseases away. It's a way of prevention which all of us need to have.
G1g4nt1C
dray101 wrote:
I drink heaps! Wink
(like over 8 glasses)
I just get real thirsty! Cool

I drink about 20 glasses water each day. It's very healthy and it gives your
body and spirit a fresh boost. All the filth will be removed by the water.