FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SHOULD I MOD MY PSP??

djcaution
The question is simple. Should I or shouldnt I mod my psp? Right now the answer is screaming MOD MY PSP! I really see no reason not to. My friend who has his modded says if anything it's working better than it did before. For one thing you can play ALL ps1 games on it when it's modded, with loading times cut in half and the games with graphics looking even better than on the original console! It takes way less batteries to play a game downloaded to a memory card since it doesnt need to sping the UMD disc, save tons of money on games, there's just so many advantages to modding it not one of them being bad besides taking a hit on my consience and my karma... and I'm on pretty good terms with both of those.
what do you think?
vaoger
DONT MOD IT!!
excerpt for those authorise by SONY...
i have 2 psp ( the black n the white)the black was MOD..
you have the point.. the mod psp have good value on ps1 game.. beside that i can play GBA games too..
the only problem is the battery... it die so fast...
someime when you overplay ( more than 1 hour) the console became laggy n sometime gone hang a while.. so.. a bit angry when you are so exicted play the game!!

but think of those game u can play.. the game u can get from inernet!!
MOD will be first choice!!
MOD or Not MOD is all depend on the user it self!!

wish you luck on decide the seroius desicion!!
QrafTee
I'll be honest with you. If you don't mod your PSP it's not worth owning. I hate to say it, but it's true. Anyway having so many games at your disposal after modding it is a plus.
CtrlAltDeleteDie
If you mean hardware mod, then definatly not. If software then mod ftw.

Hit forums.qj.net because they have alot of tutorials and faqs there. Read up on custom firmware and homebrew any you'll be good to go.
xanarulz
I MOD my psp (software, and personal settings) I say you should as long as you know what you are doing, if you don't it might bite you back Very Happy
spykE
Once you mod you can't get enough and games will get bored really fast, I can tell Smile.
silvermesh
I'm in the "do it if you know what you are doing" boat here.
You can have bad or good results depending exactly how you do it and what you want to accomplish. Make sure to do your research and do a good job or you might end up with something you don't like.
et-configs
Mod it is good idea.. They make their money of people modding Razz
Seiji
Its hard trying to download the software on your PSP and its a lot of steps. You can even end up bricking your PSP. You would also need to downgrade to 1.5 before you could probably play any games. Also PSP games are usually like 1GB but compressing them to a CSO you can get them down to 800MB so you would need a good-sized memory card. I only have 512MB one and a 1GB stick.
tony
is okay to mod the software. but when you start unscrewing that thing and modding the hardware, you risk everything - don do that bud, is too dangerous for us - hihi..
urbanbuddha
As the people above said, there's really no reason to physically mod your psp unless you can't do a software mod (i.e. installing a custom firmware).

Anyways, modding your PSP is just one step. You would need to get a decent sized memory stick duo card (at least 1GB) and a place to put some games and/or homebrew applications to get ya going.
Ghengis
QrafTee wrote:
I'll be honest with you. If you don't mod your PSP it's not worth owning. I hate to say it, but it's true. Anyway having so many games at your disposal after modding it is a plus.

Absolutely 100% true. The second poster (whose PSP gets "laggy" after playing for too long???) must be either retarded, or they downloaded the "mod" from somebody who wanted to brick people's PSPs and didn't do it right. If your battery dies quickly, know how your custom firmware works and turn your clock speed down.

If you get your custom firmware from a trusted location, and follow instructions carefully, a hacked PSP is worth its weight in gold. Without the hacks, it's just an overpriced, overspecialized Game Boy/DVD player.

*aside: "modding" almost always refers to a physical modification, except when it's "softmodding". In the PSP scene, the most common term is "hacking", which usually takes the form of installing "custom firmware", though for a long time I had simply "downgraded" to 1.50 (reverted to an earlier firmware version). The key is this: DO NOT install any recent system updates (if you go past I think 3.03, you may not be able to downgrade any more and you're hosed), then get a downgrader for your firmware, then downgrade to FW 1.50. Then, you can either go up to 3.40 OE-A (I think that's current...), or stay at 1.50 and emulate the higher firmwares using e.g. DevHook. For some good resources to get started, check the PocketHeaven Wiki, or look at pspupdates.qj.net. The second one is a bit euro-centric, but has a wealth of tools and information.

ALSO: on the subject of memory, Techbargains and Pricewatch show a price of $65-70 for a name brand (Sony or Sandisk) 4GB stick, which IMHO is well worth the investment -- that's 2-5 full length movies or two battery-loads of TV shows, and if you cheap out and get the 2GB you'll regret it eventually.

ALSO ALSO: caveat to what I said above: ONLY downgrade/upgrade to custom firmware if you are comfortable with your own knowledge. Read all the instructions you can find, then read them again. Be CAREFUL. Know exactly what to expect. And know where to turn if you need help.
kicy
I agree with the post above and you should mod that thing until you cannot tell what it is anymore!

Pros: everything you can think of

Cons: ... I do not know any.. probably the possibilty of you bricking your psp
Ghengis
Actually, important possible CON: I'm not sure you can play multiplayer online games against people that are using non-modded consoles -- I think modding might break connectivity with "clean" PSPs.

I never do that anyway, though, so I'm good.
djcaution
nope I asked my friend at my work who has his modded and everything works still when it's modded. He says if anything, the same things work even better once it's modded!
m-productions
Ghengis wrote:
Actually, important possible CON: I'm not sure you can play multiplayer online games against people that are using non-modded consoles -- I think modding might break connectivity with "clean" PSPs.

I never do that anyway, though, so I'm good.

best to know what your talking about before you talk about it. It in noway changes connections between other PSPs it is in fact the SAME FW as the official It uses the same flash0 files.

First, unless you are the worlds biggest idiot, you wont brick your psp when upgraded to a custom firmware. Just use a trusted site.. the best one to use is pspupdates.qj.net the reason being is they make you do a little more when it comes to upgrading because they do not support illegal files. so they give you guids on how to get the files you need... so doing from this site is VERY easy and 100% legal (for example, some sites give the DATA.DXAR, which is illegal to hand out.. unless you make the file yourself.) It is in no way different from using an official upgrade from sony. There is in no fact ANY cons. When you upgrade to lets say 3.40 oe A' (thats the newst one) You have EVERYTHING a 3.40 psp has (minus the location free player because noone used that and they wanted space to add other things.. and if you want that.. they have the files to add.. so pff) Not only this, you now have the recover mode, which is great beacuse if you simi brick your psp, you can now fix it. Also You can modify your flash0 and flash1 files (aka custom icons, load screens and such) Its really quit nice when you load a game and you see Your picture that you place come up instead of a lame PSP logo lol. On top of this you can no run emulators. this opens up the psp to thousands of games