FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Boycott oil companies

standready
I know prices here is the US are not as high as other parts of the world but gas jumped another 10 cents today here. That’s 55 cents in under two weeks.
Someone came up with this idea not to buy gas on May 15th. Unfortunately, this will have little impact on the oil companies.
Here is a better way. Boycott one brand for an entire week. Buy nothing there - including no cigs, milk, coffee, etc. Let them have totally negative balance days. If they are not selling it, they will lower the price. Others will follow.
So I am asking everyone to share this idea with there friends. Lets start this on May 15th going through to May 22nd. First oil company to boycott - Exxon-Mobil. Following week - Speedway.
Are you with me!
{name here}
Because many Americans think it is a god given right to top their Ford F-250's tank, I don't think your plan will completely work. Plus you're going to hurt the distributors more thant the company as well - the gas stations are only able to raise the price by a few cents by law. What will happen if you succeed is you'd put many college students out of a job in the process of trying to hurt the oil companies' revenues. It is impossible to hurt an oil company without shutting down a gas station because the manager buys the gas before you buy it so he can sell it. The only way you're going to kill the Oil companies without hurting others is when you come up with a viable alternative to oil.
Manus et Therion
Not to mention that oil manufactures more than just fuel for transportation (and think of all the transportation there is on this planet). Oil paves our roads, builds much in the way of furniture, even is in our plumbing, our computers, television viewing, etc etc.

I mean really - the only answer is to find a viable replacement for oil considering all that it does.
qscomputing
This story is currently #1 on Snope's top 25 urban legends list:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp
Vrythramax
I'm no economist, but I can see far enough ahead that if a boycott rips into a major (especially an Oil) companies profits, it will only make them raise prices to recover the loss....not continue the loss of profit by lowering prices.

Personally, I pay alot for gas....I don't want to have to pay more over some attempt at getting even with big business. Count me out.
cheh
i agree with Vrythramax. and i'm am an economist... kinda Very Happy

besides oil is too important for the economy to be just boycoted...
Aless
It's also rather difficult...would you like a hot shower? To power your car? While a good idea in principle (arguable), it's not very practical! Unfortunately, and they know it, we're stuck paying for commodities we need.
Vrythramax
Aless wrote:
It's also rather difficult...would you like a hot shower? To power your car? While a good idea in principle (arguable), it's not very practical! Unfortunately, and they know it, we're stuck paying for commodities we need.

That is the sad part...they know we need them....at the moment. Why do you think major oil companies have spent so much money to put down alternative power sources? No profits for them.

I'm no "tree-hugger", I drive a 1971 Corvette that drinks gas faster than I can drink beer...but I would support an alternative power supply. The oil just can't last forever.
silverdown
Here is is about $3.XX a gallon and my car really eats fuel, I hope they go down soon or get out my 10 speed bike and pedal!
Srs2388
I hope that we get an alternative fuel source and fast. The oil companies are making the prices higher and higher...
that would be a slap in their face... a much needed bitch slap.
PatTheGreat42
But, if we boycott one company, won't the other companies have even better days? And furthermore, if we cycle the companies we boycott, and wind up buying at other places, won't it all even out in the end?
Captain Fertile
I've done the maths and here where I live gas [petrol] works out at £3.61 (GB Pounds) or $7.17 (US Dollars) per gallon, here in the UK it is usually sold in litres (95p per litre here - more some places I know) to make it sound less,

I remember as a young kid it was sold in gallons and people where complaining it would soon be £1 per gallon and then I remember what seemed like not long after people complaining it would soon be £2 a gallon.

Of course they dropped the old imperial gallons in favour of the smaller litre and that complaint kind of died with it. Now here we are paying closer to £4 per gallon.
funnyerror
I will do my part in boycotting oil. I will ride my bike to work on monday.
yeah right.... Very Happy
Kaisonic
But the thing is, we already HAVE SEVERAL viable other sources for fuel, we're just not bothering to research and develop these sources. If we put even a quarter of the oil companies' profits into R&D of other cheaper resources for fuel, we'd all have hydrogen electric cars by now.
Pikokola
hmm.. boycotting one?? If it's only you,your family, and your friend, I think it will cost nothing for them XD

I think you should stop one city or maybe one area to boycott one companies *_*
coolclay
None of these stupid "lets make the prices cheaper" plans will work because none of them will really reduce our overall consumption off gas. Yea maybe for a day or a week, but after that you will buy it and everything will be the same. People don't see that its not the oil companies, and gas stations faults the prices are high. It is the same as everything else in a free market society supply and demand. Eventually we will run out of oil, and gas will only be for the rich. The only way to "stick it" to the oil companies and what not is to reduce your overall consumption. Such as car pooling, biking, walking, running, and grouping your trips together. Say you need to go the one store, well hold off your trip until you need to go somewhere else and group your trips together. Ask your friends and family if the need anything or want to go with you when you go places. If you commute to work, drive with other people, if you drive to college, drive with a friend. There is so much people can do, but they don't want to make the small sacrifices that are required to do them. I walk/bike/rollerblade whenever I need to go places within 5 miles (unless I am in a hurry).

Either way we will eventually run out of oil, there is no if and or buts about it the question is when. Alternatives fuels should be of the utmost importance to society right now, or the world will hit a brick wall, when the day comes when the trickle of oil bleeding from the Earth is reduced to nothing.
ReubenWilliams
Although, you say there is no evil but there is a mamoth injustice in the way in which the oil has been divided up simply by thoose who deigned to lay claim to it. Nobody owns our planet yet some people have ended up with the legal priviledges which entitle them to sell bits of our planet to eachother
Pilot
I'd say that writing your local government representative would likely have more effect. Plus buying a bike or taking public transport instead of driving the huge gas burning SUV would help.

Raising fuel prices are going to become a fact of life as the supply of petroleum dwindles.. to reiterate a point given several times in this thread... find an alternative, boycotts never work.
tribe
I for one knew this boycott today wouldn't do shit. The oil companies aren't stupid; so they raised prices this morning to cancel off any major losses from those who actually boycott. In the end they had another day taking our money.

Folks, there is very little we can do. I read someone on here which said something smart, boycott a particular brand for an entire week and see what happens. For instance; boycott BP for the first week of JUNE.

If you do that, and boycott everything they sell; they will suffer badly. Then the next week boycott Exxon-Mobile.... Then the next week boycott one of the others... and so on and so on.
ehecatl
It's a great idea, but somehow, I don't think it will work. It's called supply and demand. The less a product is in demand, the higher the price has to go to compensate and the higher the demand, the cheaper it gets becuase so many are being sold. So by boycotting gas and such, we will just force the prices higher if anything. So why torture ourselves even more by boycotting? Not to mention the fact that the rest of the world uses oil to and it wouldn't make a huge dent unless you got the entire world doing it...
coolclay
You people don't seem to understand its not the oil companies that make the prices. They are the product of free market forces. We are slowly running out of oil, and hence the prices will go up. We are past the Hubbert Peak theorized by Dr. M. King Hubbert a geophysicist who predicted the future rate of oil production, and so far he has been correct. The prices will only go up from here. The sooner you people realize that and sell your large gas guzzling vehicles the better.
Soulfire
Anyone ever see "Who killed the electric car?" ... Basically it's about the oil companies buying all of the patents to the electric car and alternative fuel-type cars so that they couldn't be developed.

Anyways, the issue at hand. One day of no profits would not harm an oil company, and while a week might make a light scratch, still it's nothing major. The CEOs of oil companies are rejoicing at record revenue, while we're getting screwed everytime we pump gas. It sucks, but then agian, life sucks.

We're at $3.48 per gallon here. Oh how I miss it when it was $1.87 a couple months ago.

I remember my parents complaining about $1.60 a gallon, and how if it ever went over $2 nobody would drive. Funny how everyone parked their cars...

At any rate, this will not work, we just need alternative fuel. Ethanol baby!
Tvis
Face it guys...there is nothing we can do. The oil companies know that when we boycot them for a week, in the following we will all be in line again. Because we cannot miss our cars. And there just is not an alternative. We really have to start thinking about an alternative energy source for gasoline. Not only for the environment, but also to avoid having to pay that much for gasoline. So government, invest in technology schools, a way to get an equal potential energy source for today's cars.
standready
Tvis wrote:
Face it guys...there is nothing we can do. The oil companies know that when we boycot them for a week, in the following we will all be in line again. Because we cannot miss our cars. And there just is not an alternative. We really have to start thinking about an alternative energy source for gasoline. Not only for the environment, but also to avoid having to pay that much for gasoline. So government, invest in technology schools, a way to get an equal potential energy source for today's cars.

President Bush in his 2006 "State of the Union" address pledged two billion (yes, with a "B") for research into hydrogen pewer vehicles. This from the oil man. Guess where most of that research money went. Yes, the oil companies.
tribe
I think people really need to be pushing for Ethanol. Why you may ask?

Yes it may not be as efficient as Unleaded 87, miles per gallon wise; but it would be must more cleaner for the air much more cheaper. Also; just imagine how many jobs could be created across the United States in areas which need jobs for Ethanol Refineries!

For instance I live in Youngstown, OH. Back in the day this was known as Steeltown, USA for once being the #1 steel city in America; and that includes Pittsburgh. Anyways they now are planning to build an ethanol refinery about 30 miles south of town near the Ohio River. It would bring hundreds of jobs to the area; and they would be pretty good paying as well.

Ethanol needs to get pushed sooner, rather than later. We need to call up our friends out in Brasilia!
TruPain
Sadly we al rely on gasoline too much, and people are greedy...

Until we can come up with a new source of fuel that is cheaper and better than gasoline, we are stuck with having to pay the prices that these greedy SOBs put on gas...

I am still tempted to try this out and see if it works or not:

http://netmar.com/~maat/archive/feb2/carplans.htm
justnewbie
Your plan most probably won't work, I guess. Oil will probably go up in price as the demand goes higher and supply went lesser. This paves way for organic oil like corn or palm oil though. This is just another case of inflation, a matter of fact and a fact of life. You like it or not, our money has less buying power and prices went higher and higher, it's just up to you how to cope with it.
ReubenWilliams
and we are dependant on it. Totally, we could not go without it for amore than a day or two.
raine dragon
So you boycott them today, and then come tomorrow you will need gas. Why not cut down on gas consumption instead? Like, you can walk, or bike instead of using a car to drive everywhere.
skygaia
Oh......
I'm from south korea. some of you might know, gas price is very high in my country. I was told that it is the 4th country of the highest price of gas in the world. Gas price is getting higher recently. it's almost 2 dollars/ a litter. But I think there is no choice we cand take. These days gas is very important part on our life. Fortunately 65% of gas price are taxes in my country. So we can just insist to reduce the taxes to the Government. And many people are complaining it now.