FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Backup

pluto
If I backup files on my machine running Windows, to my machine running Xubuntu (Linux), can I easily transfer the files back to my Windows machine if (or when) it fails? I know Windows file system is NTFS, and the Linux file system I'm using is ext2, but does this make a difference for transferring files? Also, what if I do a fresh install of Windows, will I easily be able to bring all my Window files, that are stored (backup) on my Linux machine, back to the windows machine?

Sorry if this post is a little confusing, but I want to make sure my files will easily transfer back to Windows.

Thanks for your help! Smile
snicker
Pluto,

how are you going to backup the files from windows to linux? Using a ftp or scp file transfer? In this case you can always bring your files back...

By the way, if you want to connect to winXP an hard drive formatted in ext2 you can consider using this driver:

http://www.fs-driver.org/
pluto
I was able to copy the selected files from my Win machine to my Linux box using a program called Win SCP. If I understand correctly, I will be able to bring these files back to my Win machine without any issues in the future, in the event my Win machine crashes?

I'm also considering doing a fresh install of Win. Now that I've copied all my files to my Linux box, I'll be able to copy the files back to my Win machine after installing Windows and Win SCP, right?

I don't understand what the driver is for, can you explain that in more detail.

Thanks! Smile