FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gibson SG

ddukki
I've been wanting this guitar for a while and have noticed that a lot of people hate it or love it because of its popularity. I've also noticed that it's no longer being made ... or so it seems. I went to the Gibson website and they have it up and it looks like they're still making it. Is it only the Faded series that they've stopped manufacturing?
snowboardalliance
ddukki wrote:
I've been wanting this guitar for a while and have noticed that a lot of people hate it or love it because of its popularity. I've also noticed that it's no longer being made ... or so it seems. I went to the Gibson website and they have it up and it looks like they're still making it. Is it only the Faded series that they've stopped manufacturing?

I have a Faded SG Special and really like it. And I did not hear about Gibson no longer making SG's, also their site shows all the SGs still. Anyway, I like my SG, although I would have loved to get something a little higher end like the standard, but for the price this one's great.
achene
Hmm. as far as i know they are still making it.

I have heard that gibson has made some changes to the way they will produce their Les Pauls but haven't heard that they should stop making SG's.

At least I hope they won't.

- Achene
SimonWSTS
The SG is indeed a popular guitar. If I had the money to buy the Gibson model there is no way I would say no, no matter what people say about it. At the end of the day it is a world renowned guitar from a world renowned manufacturer and a quality instrument.

It is indeed true many people have them but that doesn't make it any less of a great guitar, it just proves how good it is.

I can't believe for a second that Gibson would stop making them as they are indeed so popular, it just wouldn't make sense when they can make money from them!
Sickness
Urghh, the SG, very ugly guitar Confused

I've got a Standard and I love it Mr. Green

I don't know where have you heard that. But that's not true, trust me... or enter http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/SG%20Specials/ Twisted Evil
spinout
I think it's most suitable for the rock genre... It looks a bit devilish Smile)

I have had a copy once (promartin guitar) n it was hard rockin... Not for other kind of styles directly...

I used to distort the sound n it sounded quite cool...

They are build fine n the grip is good.
Andrew426
I like SGs, but I have always preferred Les Pauls - They have more class Wink
Sickness
Do you really think so? Rolling Eyes
Andrew426
Yes, I do.
The Les Paul model has a two-piece body, curved top and doesnt have a big bit of plastic stuck to the front - it also has the advantage of looking at home in almost any setting - weather it be metal, prog, jazz, blues or anything else. If you took an SG to some classy establishment like a jazz club, you would get a lot of strange looks.

If the SG had a bolt on neck and all the tuning machines down one side of the head, you could call it a fender.
ddukki
Les Paul's are pretty, but I don't think I'd probably damage it the way I am. SG's are smaller and solid, so I'm more comfortable around it. I hope I get it soon.
Srs2388
I like SG's as well... but I would rather have the les paul.
Sickness
Well, the SG is as versatile as a LP, its sustain is very similar to a LP (almost in my guitar with 11-52 strings) and it has a great tone. It's cheaper, lighter and obviously more beautiful.

The only disadvantage I found compared to a '79 LP custom is that the LP has got a thicker bass sound. But that shouldn't be a problem with a good tube amp. Rolling Eyes

If you have problems with the pickguard (Rolling Eyes) you can try the 61 reissue SG, a very nice guitar...
Andrew426
I dont have problems with the pickguard, i just think being able to choose weather you want a big plastic shape on the front of your gat or not is a bonus. Plus IMO pick-guards look cheap and un-tidy.

I also think the les paul looks better too, the almost-symmetrical horns on the SG make it like it was designed by an 11 year old who has a good idea, but cant quite draw it properly.

As far as sound goes, there is no point in comparing the two because no two les pauls sound the same, just as no two SGs sound the same.
Sickness
Quote:
I also think the les paul looks better too, the almost-symmetrical horns on the SG make it like it was designed by an 11 year old who has a good idea, but cant quite draw it properly.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

Rolling Eyes
markolino
i prefer Les paul..
but SG is a nice guitar too !
gtherockgod
I'm a fan of both Les Pauls and SGs (although I'd rather own a Les Paul)...the only thing that really deters me is that there's 230952830592 different versions of each one available. Its kind of intimidating haha.
Sickness
well, not so many Mr. Green
froginabox
Seems like it sometimes!!

The SG is pretty cool, although I do like the look of the LP better.
I dunno, the Gibson models are all just beyond my price range, that's all.

I've picked up a vintage Charvel (pre-Jackson buyout) and a nice Dean. To me, sound is the biggest thing - the Dean can chug out power chords like you wouldn't believe, and the Charvel is a shred-ready guitar straight from the 80s (24 frets and all!).
agustin
The best guitar ever! I would like to have one but I dont have idea what your asking so I just wanna say that the Gisbson SG must be use only by Angus Young and nobody else should have it except him. Thats what I think.
ddukki
Still haven't gotten it ... I'm kind of anxious now. Have to hope for the best, though. Saving up isn't really working, but of course, it's summer ...
Sickness
Quote:
The best guitar ever! I would like to have one but I dont have idea what your asking so I just wanna say that the Gisbson SG must be use only by Angus Young and nobody else should have it except him. Thats what I think

yeah, that's true... and Les Pauls only should be played by Slash and Stratos only should be played by Stevie Ray... now let's buy our Academy guitar rig...

you're crazy, man.
GuitarEssentials
I love my SG to bits! Always loved the shape of the SG...out of the ordinary...but I don't use my SG for classic rock, like most that used them did.
achene
Well im pretty sure they are still making it.

Personally i love the look of an SG.

Its true that a lot of people use it, but if you like it you should buy it without worrying about that

- Achene
rockstar
I have a mid 70s SG standard. I bought it secondhand from a local music shop in 1988. Almost every part has been changed apart from the ABR bridge. Schaller machineheads, Custom Wizard neck pickup, Seymour Pearly Gates bridge pickup. The headstock broke a few years back, the wood around the control panel broke too.
I retired it a few years ago, when it was replaced by first a Yamaha SG2000S (too heavy!) and now a PRS McCarty (which I love!).
The SG now lives in its case behind the sofa.
spinout
did you know Status quo used it in the 70s? I guess Rick did it the most.
And that was a better sound than today - SG and VOX is perfect for heavy metal!
rockstar
spinout wrote:
did you know Status quo used it in the 70s? I guess Rick did it the most.
And that was a better sound than today - SG and VOX is perfect for heavy metal!

Yes I did! Quo were experimenting with all sort of guitars (and substances!) all through the 70s. I was a big Quo fan. Rick still uses an open tuned SG Junior for a couple of tracks. I remember reading in an interview that much of the 1978 album "If you can't stand the heat...." was actually recorded with Gibson Flying Vs and Hi-watt amps. The impressive wall of AC30s that appeared on stage with them dates from the 1980s.

I don't think I would call Quo "Heavy metal" though!
liljp617
Sickness wrote:
Quote:

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

Rolling Eyes

You should probably relax. People are allowed to have opinions and criticisms that aren't in line with your own...
slashnburn99
Guitar Hero played my Gibson SG to Death

Kramer on GH3 (ps2)

Not a big fan of the shape, prefer Washburn myself