FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to stream live tv ? Any good freeware ?

DaComboMan
Hi,

The subject is vast and i'm kind of tight on time and effort...
Working on this thread to find a way to stream live tv to my notebook but it doesn't work for me:
http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1697941&sid=3d9cc8bb3aa720ad458d8327d2a53d03#1697941
Any suggestions for other "user friendly" freeware that can do the job? With tutorial if possible.

Appreciate it!
CrimsonStrange
DaComboMan, you might be able to follow some links to a viable solution on this page - http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/voip/streaming-live-tv.asp

He mentions several other programs besides the ones mentioned on VideoHelp.com's forums

Lots of luck! Wink
infobankr
VLC is the best video streaming I've used. You'll need some sort of encoding card though...

have you happened to check out MythTV?
DaComboMan
infobankr wrote:
VLC is the best video streaming I've used. You'll need some sort of encoding card though...

have you happened to check out MythTV?

MythTV only works on Linux and Mac! Oh shucks!

Crimsonstrange, it seems i need some special Windows program.

This is getting to be a bit more complicated than i had hoped.
Running XP Home on a notebook, you'd think that there would be enough programs in there to run your own laundry service!
sush
You should try Democracy Player, it comes with preset channels (I think). Or there are sites that offer streaming video (you'll need a player though, like VLC) which you can look for on google.
ganesh
If you know the streaming address, then I would suggest mplayer to play it. You can also record the stuff on the fly by using it in conjunction with mencoder. I believe that VLC Player also offers that facility!
DaComboMan
ganesh wrote:
If you know the streaming address, then I would suggest mplayer to play it. You can also record the stuff on the fly by using it in conjunction with mencoder. I believe that VLC Player also offers that facility!

Ganesh,

This is much more technical than what i had hoped for.
There doesn't seem to be an easy 1,2,3 answer here, especially when it would appear that my poor ol' notebook doesn't have a required video hardware?

I have MediaPlayer (if that's what you mean by "mplayer") and VLC. Will look into the the "mencoder" mentioned but this is just getting to be a tinsy bit too geeky for me.