FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem in Windows Update

KHO
I just finished re-installing one of my old computers with Windows XP Pro SP2. Everything works fine, I'm more then experienced with computers. (this is more of an awareness thread, I already found the problem and learned to fix it).

While performing on the Windows Updates, I looked at the contents of the update (I always perform them custom to avoid installing WGA virus or IE7 with bugs and holes), and I saw something in there for the graphics card (NVIDA driver update). This update caused the following problem:

This part is important, you might have this error and be very scared and confused!

When I restarted my computer, it seemed fine. Went through the black windows loading screen just fine, but rather then being greeted with my welcome screen, I got a great little error where my monitor stopped working, black screen and gave an error that reported an improper frequency range, malformed display configuration, or just shut off completely (I tried on several monitors to ensure it wasn't the monitor).

Now, booting in safe mode works fine, but what are you going to do then? You cant boot normal at all! Perform a system restore to just before that update, after that update again and make sure you uncheck this update and click not to notify about it again (you have to custom install rather then express). Viola! Problem solved.
billgertz
got that! same thing happened to my computer.. hahaha.. cheers.
ThePolemistis
KHO wrote:
Now, booting in safe mode works fine, but what are you going to do then? You cant boot normal at all! Perform a system restore to just before that update, after that update again and make sure you uncheck this update and click not to notify about it again (you have to custom install rather then express). Viola! Problem solved.

The joys of system restore.. Very Happy
KHO
ThePolemistis wrote:
KHO wrote:

The joys of system restore.. Very Happy
Oh yes =] thats one of the MS features I actually enjoy. It has saved many a re-install lol.
mystzero
Hmm...weird. I thought drivers downloaded from windows update has no problem as it is WHQL signed. Weird as it seems, i had never encountered any problems with my windows after all these years using Windows Update to obtain the latest drivers. This is my first time seeing a WHQL signed drivers causing problems.

Anyway, glad that you've made the right move in rectifying the problem. If it's not for system restore, the problem could be a headache to solve.
orcaz
I don't trust the drivers from Microsoft Update. It is better to download the drivers from the manufacturer's site directly instead of M$, as it is much more updated than the ones available on M$ update.
Bones
orcaz wrote:
I don't trust the drivers from Microsoft Update. It is better to download the drivers from the manufacturer's site directly instead of M$, as it is much more updated than the ones available on M$ update.

Couldn't agree more. I get my drivers directly from the source. My guess is that the OP has an LCD monitor and either the default resolution or refresh rate was not supported by that monitor. Common problem with LCD screens.
staylor229
whoa!!!!!!! Never knew that!!!!!!
staylor229
me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy