FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ever given up something that others would find hard to do?

KatanaSky
For me, I've given up soda - any type of carbonated beverages. (I haven't had a pop since New Years!)

It was getting pretty bad and I found myself just sipping on a soda can throughout the day going through probably 2 to 4 cans a day! I cut down on it when my mom pointed out that I don't ever really drink water. New Years came along and I though hm... "I wonder how long I can make it without drinking soda!" So here I am, soda-free. I even inspired a couple of my friends to give up soda too. They went and banned themselves from coffee too (sorry, I can't give that up!) lol Smile

How about you, have you ever given up something that others might find hard to do?
rightclickscott
I gave up someone in my life. I had to. I completely cut them out of my life for reasons I wish not to disclose. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do.
eday2010
I gave up food for a month. My friend too. We were having a contest to see who could lose the most weight in a month. We still ate, but for me it was like, salad for supper (just lettuce and dressing), or a hard boiled egg another night, or a couple teaspoons of cream cheese. Barely anything solid, mostly liquids like juice, chocolate milk and soup. I lost 20 pounds in 28 days Smile. When it was over we both ordered pizza that night and ate til we were disgustingly full. It was a month of torture, but worth it Smile
funnyerror
I gave up My Gaming consoles. Which isnt a problem considering the fact that i bought a new gaming pc with a nice gpu/ram/etc. So I guess that doesnt count. Oh well, the thought was there

-FE
squirrelmaster
I gave up my room to have to share it with my brother.
Vrythramax
I ask for a point of clarity on this question....is this something you gave up voluntarily or something you were forced to lose? Question
KatanaSky
Vrythramax wrote:
I ask for a point of clarity on this question....is this something you gave up voluntarily or something you were forced to lose? Question

I was obviously not forced to give up soda - but I hadn't even realized that others would/could respond to this question with situations where they were pretty much forced to oblige to. I guess specifically, I am asking if there is something you gave up voluntarily.
Vrythramax
Thank you.....I gave up biting my fingernails, which was a lifelong habit.....now I just drink alot of beer Laughing
wumingsden
I voluntary gave up self-pleasuring which was supposed to last three days. I decided to set myself this goal because I thought that I was becoming too much of a habit ... it was happening up to 10 times a day when I was single.

I haven't completley substained from it but I achieved my goal ... to do so less often. I find now that I have a lot more time on my hands, and no, that isn't supposed to be a pun.

An involuntary thing I have given up is my childhood. I didn't realise when I was younger that I was growing up too soon, it was because I had no choice in the matter. However, looking back on it I see it, and probably woulnd't change it if I had the chance anyway.

I've given up things that I like ... foods and drink that I'm not allowed to consume becasue of health issues. It however sometimes is really hard and I sometimes, although not often, fall into the trap ... Dr.Pepper looks are me so seductively I just can't help myself
I tend to regret it later but the effects are just about worth it ... I probably get the fix that I need about once a month .... I guess its a little like cheating on your diet, so its not bad.
Jaan
For '07 I completely gave up games and decided to focus more on music production. Before I was in the top 1000 of BF2142, and played 3 hours a day. I never play now, and am enjoying the extra time I have.
unknownc1c
i never have but i've thought about it a lot. I just don't know if i could actually go through with it >.<
HalfBloodPrince
I gave up RuneScape.
starfish2007
I gave up playing withmy hair somuch.. i still doit somje times butnot asmuch as i used to its a relly badhabit i can't totaly get ridof. but atlest i cut it down lol
Davidgr1200
I gave up sucking my thumb when I was 14! It was difficult.
riv_
Oh, lots of things. I've been through a lot of bad habits Shocked Probably caffeine was the hardest, even though I felt sick. (way harder then some rather nasty embarassing habits from my youth Embarassed )
Never found any shockingly difficult to do though - when it's time to give something up and you're ready - you just DO it.
skygaia
I gave up smoking. I had stopped smoking since new years day.
Every year I had decided to do that. I always failed it.
So far, I had not smoked Smile
Vrythramax
skygaia wrote:
I gave up smoking. I had stopped smoking since new years day.
Every year I had decided to do that. I always failed it.
So far, I had not smoked Smile

Outstanding! I also quit after almost 30 years of smoking, been smoke free for almost 2 years now Smile

Best of luck! Applause
dbhai
It is nice if you thought that soda drinking or any other thing which you are habituated is bad for your health shold be given up.
I appreciate your strong will power to do so.
congratulations from me
prole
Davidgr1200 wrote:

LOL.

Aww that was quite an accomplishment really...
seanooi
Davidgr1200 wrote:

I did the same thing too. It was just so embarrassing to let people know that i sucked on my thumb to bed every night until i was 14. I was hard at first but it eventually worked. Laughing
Futile
I give up my Constitutional rights as an American. I was in the US Marines for 15 years. What a lot of people don't realize is that when you fight for their (American) Constitutional freedoms and rights you give up alot of your Constitutional freedoms and rights in order for them to enjoy theirs.
tijn01
I gave up smoking, its so easy and I wish I could tell everyone how easy it is!
I don't drink or smoke or do anything bad for me anymore so I guess I've given up alot of things, but not all on purpose...
Ducksteina
I gave up playing WoW after 1 year.
Doesn't sound that special, but I really _was_ addicted and played at least 5 hours per day. Luckily, I was able to quit. Smile
silvermesh
I gave up caffeine. I seem to be hypersensitive to the stuff, so If I drink a can of Mountain Dew I'm wired for days and can't sleep at night, then I get headaches... it's an addiction too, I fall back in sometimes but lately i've been doing really well. You'd be surprised how much better you can feel just drinking water all the time you would normally be chugging a soda.
Sharpe
Sounds cliche, but it is smoking. :wink:
Aless
I once gave up all sweets. It wasn't exceedingly difficult, but I'm sure some people would find it so. Actually, it was liberating in a way to have a good reason to say no to dessert - having a cause behind definitely helped my willpower.

My boyfriend tells me that I'm the reason he gave up smoking. Before I came along, he had tried at various points to give up, but with no real gumption behind him. When we started dating, I told him I didn't smoke (and didn't like it, but this is before I knew!) and he thought that a pretty girl was a pretty damned good reason to quit! Bless him, he used to be a moderate smoker, and I've never seen him have ONE cigarette (though I know he lapsed once, but it was because he was in a car accident!).
NuniPio
i gave up smoking years back.. cant stand it anymore!!
Fake
I gave up wearing a beenie. I used to wear it like evryday(cold/hot weather)
That was a stupid look I say Laughing
Helios
I gave up on my short hair 2 years ago Smile
Also gave up on my Kong-Fu training like 5 or 4 years ago (had been training for 6 years).
I guess I lost my interest in martial arts. I still exercise daily though.

Anyway, I don`t have any bad habits... I don`t smoke, don`t drink (just beer from time to time), don`t do any drugs. Life`s good Smile
R2.DETARD
I gave up biting my nails too. It was HARD.
It became so subconcious for me to do it. But i haven't bit my nails in months (and apparently they look sexy too!...i dunno, ask my girlfriend...)

I have big respect for any long term smoker who quit. I smoked for a year and it was hard for me to quit.
darvit
I gave up my comfortable life in my old country--great friends, lots of parties, beautiful places, beautiful people...

I didn't know why I came with my parents here, but I knew that I had to... and deep inside, I knew that I wanted to; that there's something out there beyond my comfort zone. If I was afraid of taking risks, then I should have stayed, like my spoiled siblings. I was just looking for something else, and as exchange for that, I had to give up the life I love.

Moving to another country isn't really easy, though. Confused
Vrythramax
Helios wrote:
I gave up on my short hair 2 years ago Smile
Also gave up on my Kong-Fu training like 5 or 4 years ago (had been training for 6 years).
I guess I lost my interest in martial arts. I still exercise daily though.

Anyway, I don`t have any bad habits... I don`t smoke, don`t drink (just beer from time to time), don`t do any drugs. Life`s good Smile

Oh I am not even gonna comment on this one. Wink

P.S. Love your sig and new banner Helios....very cool Cool
karysky
R2.DETARD wrote:
I gave up biting my nails too. It was HARD.
It became so subconcious for me to do it. But i haven't bit my nails in months (and apparently they look sexy too!...i dunno, ask my girlfriend...)

I have big respect for any long term smoker who quit. I smoked for a year and it was hard for me to quit.

Ahhh congratulations !

I have a hard time quitting bitting my nails! Actually, I stop, they grow, but then something's stressing happens to me, and I bite them all off!

I also gave up on three years of studies in engineering, to study actuarial science instead. Many people ask me: "why? you only had one year left in engineering"

My answer is: I didn't see myself as an engineer, that's all.
Heart Ticket
KatanaSky wrote:
For me, I've given up soda - any type of carbonated beverages. (I haven't had a pop since New Years!)

It was getting pretty bad and I found myself just sipping on a soda can throughout the day going through probably 2 to 4 cans a day! I cut down on it when my mom pointed out that I don't ever really drink water. New Years came along and I though hm... "I wonder how long I can make it without drinking soda!" So here I am, soda-free. I even inspired a couple of my friends to give up soda too. They went and banned themselves from coffee too (sorry, I can't give that up!) lol Smile

How about you, have you ever given up something that others might find hard to do?

I gave up Cadbury diary milk... Most fat kids find that hard Razz
krazy
sometimes if friends can't do it i have a go at it and sometimes i do succeed
-giggles- it makes me look special.
depending on what it is i may do it for my friends
like if my friends cannot do it i do it and do it for them if you are ont he same lines at me -giggles- that may be a bit confusing
Zombie
The isn't too serious, but once I gave up my current girlfriend for another one, who eventually dumped me.
But I got over it...Crying or Very sad
reddishblue
Zombie wrote:
The isn't too serious, but once I gave up my current girlfriend for another one, who eventually dumped me.
But I got over it...Crying or Very sad

Wow, you dumped YOUR GF and YOU got over it.
Jeez, talk about selfish.
missdixy
Drugs.
I was into them for a long time, then suddenly I quit pretty much cold turkey.
Vrythramax
missdixy wrote:
Drugs.

Outstanding! I tool was into the drug scene...and I also gave it up cold turkey.

Kudos to you! Cool Applause Applause
shwetanshu
i let go off someone's memories after hell lot of coaxing from my frnds... which is very dfficult to do....

i have stopped driniking carbonated beverages like coke, pepsi

i have minimised my intake of junk food to a great extent... now its only healthy food
pieman
Vrythramax wrote:
Thank you.....I gave up biting my fingernails, which was a lifelong habit.....now I just drink alot of beer Laughing

Hey, I've done that too! 18 years and no-one could stop me biting my nails. Girlfriend comes along who can't stand it and now it's 7 months since I last bit my nails!

I've given up various things for Lent (that's 40 days): last year it was crisps, the year before I gave up chocolate. This year was the toughest - I gave up between-meal snacking altogether.

Oh and I've now given up alcohol. A bad experience about 2 months ago put me off the stuff and I haven't touched it since. Not sure how long it will last though - University in the summer, and, if I believe what I've been told, uni = alcohol.
bartdou
Sometimes we have to, one of my friend give up the opportunity to enter college because his family can not afford he and his brother to enter the college at the same time. perhaps without being highly educated he will live a totally different life, that's a pity
balticJay
Vrythramax wrote:
missdixy wrote:
Drugs.

Outstanding! I tool was into the drug scene...and I also gave it up cold turkey.

without sounding patronising i think the both of you are to be congratulated where i came from it was the norm to do drugs and i seen alot of people lives been wrecked and sadly some lifes lost and i seen first hand how hard it can be to come off them. congratulations Smile

my addiction was tv dramas and soaps, i was planning my evenings around them so i could sit down in front of the box sometimes for 3 hours or more and shushing the kids so i could hear them. then one day this advert came on where the child goes to her dad and tries to speak to him and he said in a minute love i want to hear this...then the dad thinks back to his childhood when his parents done the same to him so he gets up and speaks to his child. then i realized omg that looks like me how many times have i said in a munite but most times that minute never comes....so i haven't done it for over a year now. sorry about the babble
frozenhead
As for me, I given up drinking too much alcohol daily. That was when I stepped out from college and nothing to do but I've dropped that hobbit. For now, I just drink only occasion like, a friend or relatives' birthday, wedding, etc etc.
hlavco
I only play World of Warcraft like once a month. That's the kind of thing that would drive several people I know insane...
Fuzzy-Duck
tijn01 wrote:
I gave up smoking, its so easy and I wish I could tell everyone how easy it is!
I don't drink or smoke or do anything bad for me anymore so I guess I've given up alot of things, but not all on purpose...

I've given up smoking, smoked since I was 15 or so, not much, maybe 5, maybe 15 a day depending. Then I decided the smoking ban (1 July here in England) was reason enough to quit, so I went out Saturday night, smoked a whole pack and that was the end of it!

I know it's only been a few days but I know I'm gonna be fine - once I decide to do something I'll do it! I think I'll never lose the desire to smoke though - I've quit for my health, not cos I don't like it!

Not smoking sure makes you hungry though... but one vice at a time eh?!

Cheers,
fuzzy