FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The safest and most dangerous theme parks

Nerdlings
I just read an article http://www.usmansworld.com/?p=13 on the safest and most dangerous theme parks. I think it's pretty well-written and is pretty interesting to read. What do you guys think of this article?
Vrythramax
I didn't know there were so many deaths involved, I expected a certain amount of injuries, but it would seem that the amusement parks do a pretty good job of keeping these fatalities under wraps.

Very informative....if accurate. One thing is for certain, the report was not written by the amusement parks themselves Wink
Rako
I'm shocked that theme parks can be so unsafe they can kill people! i know there has been a few freak accidents but over 30 in 26 years that is shocking but i live in aus so i would like to see the aus figures.
Yjaxygames
I hope this is accurate. I liked to read it, pretty interesting. But it also depends on how large the park is. If I create a small theme park with a few great atractions, I would be on that list, and because my park is small not many people can enter, so not much people can get an injury. And were the injuries because the park is unsafe, or that people like to stunt in the atractions?
fhrr5
Or can you?

It's not all death and carnage at Disneyland.
A lot of other crazy s--- happens there too.

While you're checking theme park links, hit these ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Disney_parks
and
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15242140/

I mean come on, tell me how safe this sounds:

". . . the video shows Minnie Mouse struggling to free herself as she is grabbed from behind by Goofy and then a giant snowman.

Later, Mickey Mouse simulates sex with the snowman and Goofy does the same with either Chip or Dale, the chipmunks, as laughter is heard on the tape.

The tape is described on the Internet as the 'mouse orgy.'"

I only pray that they're practicing safe, freaky, mouse on squirrel on dog on squirrel on snowman on mouse sex.*

*Can a moderator please constructively criticize this message and tell me if it is up to FriHost standards?
Vrythramax
fhrr5 wrote:
Or can you?

It's not all death and carnage at Disneyland.
A lot of other crazy s--- happens there too.

While you're checking theme park links, hit these ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Disney_parks
and
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15242140/

I mean come on, tell me how safe this sounds:

". . . the video shows Minnie Mouse struggling to free herself as she is grabbed from behind by Goofy and then a giant snowman.

Later, Mickey Mouse simulates sex with the snowman and Goofy does the same with either Chip or Dale, the chipmunks, as laughter is heard on the tape.

The tape is described on the Internet as the 'mouse orgy.'"

I only pray that they're practicing safe, freaky, mouse on squirrel on dog on squirrel on snowman on mouse sex.*

*Can a moderator please constructively criticize this message and tell me if it is up to FriHost standards?

Well...you strayed off-topic, and your post could be considered spam by going so far off-topic. The topic was about the Safest and Most Dangerous theme parks.
Nerdlings
I think it's pretty accurate, I checked on wikipedia and the numbers are close to theirs
skygaia
I was shocked when I heard the accident at a theme park in my country.
These days, there are many theme parks opend in my country. And there are always busy and crowded. I know what human dose could not always make it perfect. But sometimes very small mistakes of safe guards might make big trouble.
Last year a theme park in my country, safe guards didn't check seat belts of riders. Even though there were three safe guards, no one check it out. Then operater began to start the ride machine, for a while later one woman falled down from the rider machine and died.
djcaution
The link for your article isnt working for me Confused
scotty
Quote:
Remember, even though there have been many incidents due to thrill rides these past years, your percent of having any type of incident is well under 1/100 of a percent. Unless you’re really paranoid, don’t let these numbers prevent you from getting the thrill of your life!

This whole article is pretty vague. I don't doubt that the facts are correct* but the whole article kinda brushes over the fact that say for instance 32 deaths at a park that has 20 million visitors a year over 20 years is not much to worry about if you can take comfort in statistics.

The main thing that I don't like is the author. 15 yo kids don't inspire much credibility.

*Almost.
LovE-RicH
Is there anyone from Italy here? I go the most famous Italian theme park "Gardaland" often, but have never heard of any deaths there. Are there any recorded?
PatTheGreat42
I dunno about "well written."

"In total there have been 27 incidents of deaths or serious injuries starting from 1981. Out of these incidents, 52 have died and another 34 injured. Definitely, not pretty numbers to look at."

27 incidents involving 52 deaths. Wow, dude. That's pretty amazing.
Blaster
Hmm thats really exciting. I know that someone died on the roller coaster in six flags in Jersy. Its really scary if you think about it.
desertwind
It gives me an Internal Server Error.
ItsWesley
Are all those theme parks in America? In the UK I haven't heard of any major accidents at theme parks, only things like a ride stopping upside down, I would assume they have to be pretty safe, otherwise the public would abandon them.
qscomputing
The most dangerous part (statistically speaking) of a day at a theme park is the car journey to get there. So, do you worry about travelling in a car?
Vrythramax
ItsWesley wrote:
Are all those theme parks in America? In the UK I haven't heard of any major accidents at theme parks, only things like a ride stopping upside down, I would assume they have to be pretty safe, otherwise the public would abandon them.

I assume all the parks mentioned were within the US (it's been awhile since I read the article), but I don't find it surprising that you may not have heard of any incidents in your country....we don't usually hear about them here in the US either. It appears the "spin doctors" that handle the media and advertisment for these places have done a very good job of burying these statistics.

Who wants to bring thier children (and spend loads of hard earned money) to a place that has a reputation for being unsafe?
Ratman2050
scotty wrote:
Quote:
Remember, even though there have been many incidents due to thrill rides these past years, your percent of having any type of incident is well under 1/100 of a percent. Unless you’re really paranoid, don’t let these numbers prevent you from getting the thrill of your life!

This whole article is pretty vague. I don't doubt that the facts are correct* but the whole article kinda brushes over the fact that say for instance 32 deaths at a park that has 20 million visitors a year over 20 years is not much to worry about if you can take comfort in statistics.

The main thing that I don't like is the author. 15 yo kids don't inspire much credibility.

*Almost.

What is wrong with a 15 year old intellect?
nilsmo
The article is written on a pretty low (15 year old) level.
Ratman2050
Age doesn't matter. That 15 year old could probably be smarter than you.
Vrythramax
I'd like to remind everyone that the topic was "The Safest/Most Dangerous Amusement Parks"....not the age of anyone posting.

Stay on topic Please.
Drawingguy
I have a fear of theme parks. As I am so often forced to point out, this is a rational fear. My whole point is- how safe can a screaming metal deathtrap be, especially at a hundred mph? Now, I don't know exactly how fast those rollercoasters actually go, but in my mind, they will remain at the hundred mark (possibly higher).
krazy
UGH!!
don't it just put you off thee parks
as it said on that websites theme parks seem such a good idea and such fun!
well... those deaths,
as i said it puts you off going ... one minute your thinking what fun it will be and the next mute you're thinking am i going to get off this ride alive.
theme parks shouldn't be like that i think all theme parks should be safe a thoroughly inspected all the time and these deaths
or did these deaths happen are they not just rumors that go around to scare people off , at times you just do not know what to believe
darrenpaul
I would like to day - Life is about enjoying, not about worrying about every possible thing that "could" go wrong, the article is good, but most of these kind of Articles are just scare-mongers
justnewbie
I'm not prety sure about this but, making a point from those statistics since 1980's, 30 something in deaths isn't really much I guess. It's just like making statistics from accidents in flight travel. So, I guess, much of these won't really create an awareness to make people think twice before going for a ride in those 'murderous' theme park.
mstreet
I think I still rather go to a theme park though than go on like the travelling rides at fairs that people put up within a day. Just something about having that structure up and knowing that hopefully it gets inspected on a regular basis keeps me more at ease.
justnewbie
Fear? Well, what I'm trying to say here is that fear can be overcomed..and yeah, only by yourself. It's just like watching horror movies..why people go to watch them when you know it's frightening..it's just trying to test out your sense of horror, and to turn it into some source of entertainment. Well, intensity IS entertainment. Just one thing, be courage, be confident and try it once, as long as it doesn't bring any bad effects in the long term, and you would ask yourself "it's frightening..but its fun isn't it?".

This is just roller coasters..how about extreme sports?..Bungee jump? Skydiving? Parachuting? That would be really fun and ..man, I wish I could experience them when I'm older.

Drawingguy wrote:
I have a fear of theme parks. As I am so often forced to point out, this is a rational fear. My whole point is- how safe can a screaming metal deathtrap be, especially at a hundred mph? Now, I don't know exactly how fast those rollercoasters actually go, but in my mind, they will remain at the hundred mark (possibly higher).
jharsika
Has anyone seen House on Haunted Hill? I'm pretty sure they have an amusement park that fakes killing people....for example a car full of dummies going off the rollercoaster track in front of the one full of real people, just to scare them.
LumberJack
I am sure there is a co-relation between the quality maintenance the park completes and their injury/death record. Unfortunately, there also maybe a manufacturer problem that will result in injury, so it is equally important to scrutinize the people who make the roller coasters for the amusement parks.
exarkun
Even if any theme parks have the absolute safety precautions, there will be still death happening. Examples are case of a heart attack, or maybe a murder case might happen there. Therefore, it is unfair to judge the place whether it is safe or unsafe by its death rate/accident rate.
Davidgr1200
Doesn't sound too dangerous to me. 52 people died in 27 years at 6 flags. That makes it 2 people per year - and they have how many visitors per year? I expect that far more people than that have died on there way to or from the park in car crashes. (According to Wikipedia about 1.2 million people die in car crashes worldwide each year)
Vrythramax
exarkun wrote:
Even if any theme parks have the absolute safety precautions, there will be still death happening. Examples are case of a heart attack, or maybe a murder case might happen there. Therefore, it is unfair to judge the place whether it is safe or unsafe by its death rate/accident rate.

Understandably (I guess) on some of the more dangerous (adult type) rides....but if even one child is lost....I consider that an unacceptable rate of safety...no matter how many make it safely through.
CtrlAltElite
Davidgr1200 wrote:
Doesn't sound too dangerous to me. 52 people died in 27 years at 6 flags. That makes it 2 people per year - and they have how many visitors per year? I expect that far more people than that have died on there way to or from the park in car crashes. (According to Wikipedia about 1.2 million people die in car crashes worldwide each year)

Heh!!... u sooo got that from Final Destination 3! Lool.
I just watched that agen the other day agen, it's kool.

i can understand how people are scared of the rides, cuz its just adrenaline innit. but i sopose there safe... the rides are checked every few hours for faults.

C-a-E
Siaba
Wow, thats pretty amazing
j_f_k
In terms of Disney, anyway, the number of deaths versus the sheer volume of poeple that go though the place every year makes it fairly safe (surely safer than crossing hte street) - especially if you don't do stupid things like stand up on the roller coaster and not buckle yourself into a voilent ride.
Vrythramax
CtrlAltElite wrote:

Heh!!... u sooo got that from Final Destination 3! Lool.
I just watched that agen the other day agen, it's kool.

i can understand how people are scared of the rides, cuz its just adrenaline innit. but i sopose there safe... the rides are checked every few hours for faults.

C-a-E

Forgive my ignorance.....but what did this user just say?? Shocked

Perhaps this user should check out this topic.