FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

User Skills Groups

reddishblue
With so many highly skilled Frihost users I think we should have lists for skills and the people who can help if you have an issue with it, it would be much like the moderator group, but with no powers, just being on the list and accessable should someone need help.
For Example:
Coding Group:
User Name Here Codes Known: CSS, Javascript, PHP
Other Users...
Design Group:
User Name Here Programs Used: Photoshop
Flash Group:
User Name Here Skill Level: Advanced
People can elect themselves (with a portfolio of work) and a panel of judges can decide if they are good enough.
These people who get in can also recieve 250 frih$, so that others will want to join.
So its essentially a directory of the skills on Frihost, which I think is neccessary for such a talented community, it also makes sure that the person you are hiring is capable at their skill.
Nobody hates it more then when they are still learning and do a horrible job at your 400 frih$ request.

Cheers!
Red
Azmo
I'm gonna give u both of my tumbs up for this idea.. I've been thinking of making something like that myself on my homepage.. a list of people with knowledge in a specific area in webdesign and other web related issues/topics.. so I love that idea Smile
ocalhoun
Perhaps these could be extra profile fields instead.
It would be difficult to make sure that admission to these groups was restricted just to those who are truthful about their skills. If such discretion is not made, then you might as well just let people list their skills on their own terms, as would be possible with appropriate fields in the profile.

Also, I'm not sure about the real value of such a thing; I just judge people's skills by the advice they give or the work they do. If you're worried about being ripped off in the marketplace, keep the bulk of the payment to be delivered upon completion of the task. (You could get ripped off just as easily by someone who has the skills, but procrastinates.)
truespeed
I think its a good idea,theres been many times when i have come here with a problem,about certain things,and needed a quick reply or help,perhaps if we had this group set up,i would know who to ask and contact direct,a directory is a good approach to it as if say your probelm was a phpbb one,you could click on the phpbb link and see all those who are knowledgeable in it ,and you can then check if any are online and go from there.
Azmo
the problem if u put this in an extra profile field is that all newbies will write that they know stuff aswell.. and when you have looked everywhere on google and forums and not found an answer and rly want one.. it's not that much fun writing to 40ppl who claims that they do know something when they actually dont..
reddishblue
If you read my post you would see that there would be an application to join a specific group, noobies are a thing of the past! Razz
Manofgames
Perhaps a minimum of say 75 posts to be able to elect yourself for a catagory.
probabley a form in the account page would be more appropriate.

When you apply, you select main catagories of the things you are good at, ie
CMS'

then as a sub cat of cms' you have phpbb, php nuke etc.

Also, users in the directory have a little shield below rank saying they're in the dir and you click it to see what their expertise is.

Thumbs up from me
_Jak_
Great idea but make the post limit say 100 posts and make it so that you have to try out to get in...(i vote reddish the leader of the design group Wink )

and also a private forum for each group (that only members can see) would be great so people could speak with others from the group

Great suggestion as always reddish

WOOT FOR GROUPS
Vrythramax
Manofgames wrote:
Perhaps a minimum of say 75 posts to be able to elect yourself for a catagory.
probabley a form in the account page would be more appropriate.

When you apply, you select main catagories of the things you are good at, ie
CMS'

then as a sub cat of cms' you have phpbb, php nuke etc.

Also, users in the directory have a little shield below rank saying they're in the dir and you click it to see what their expertise is.

Thumbs up from me

Now that would not be fair so some who are very qaulified....I have been designing websites, writting custom perl scirpts and implementing online software for over 10 years from the same website.....but you won't see me posting in the website help or scripting catagories....I work for real $$$ and do very nicely at it.....and if you check the stats, I'm not doing so bad with FRIH$....and I have never played the lotteries or numbers games....and to date I have have only brought in 75 FRIH$ from work I have done for others here. The entire idea of this "qualification" biz is advertisment am I correct? All of your ideas automatically cut out anybody who tries to make a real living, and quite possibly has more experience....just because they don't want to bust thier ass for worthless FRIH$.

Ask yourselves honestly....what can I (meaning me) do with my FRIH$? And don't say "donate them to me"....I have made my posts, and earned mine.....earn your yours. Advertise your skills in the marketplace....that seems to work.
Azmo
Vrythramx, I do also work for real $$$ every day coding and designing, however, I find there is a big difference between my clients, companys that pays me alot of $$just to code, and happy amatures in this forum that just don't get why their site dont wanna center when they are using divs..

I see it more like a helping group, means you wont be in that group if you are the best coder in the world, but have no decire to help others or would charge for it... I see it as a way to clean up our script forums, cause u often see alot of posts with 5+ replyes from people who don't have a clue of what they are talking about (maybe posting for the points)

and what about your frih$$, well as I see it, you can still use them/spend them on the market place, for advertisment on others sites, for design help or if you want complete scripts/invites and other stuff, or why not hold a competition just to get some fun with all those crazy pictures ppl do Smile

And I would even wanna raise the posts needed to 200 posts, that would keep alot of nabs away, and when they have posted 200 posts and are interested in this coding thingy, they have prob learned some and might have the skill lvl of applying to this groups.. anyways.. I support this to 100% and I'm more then willing to give Vrythramx a hug so he can tell Boindings what a good idea this is.. ^^ Very Happy
Manofgames
Personly max, i wouldnt want the frih if i got in the group. sure, there are probabley tonnes of people here who can 'x' full time, but never contribute.

thisll show people who can or is willing to help with projects.

though perhaps lower post count to 50, so its easier to apply.

appointing someone to judge wether a person should be allowed to join is difficult.
perhaps people already in group vote to allow people to join.
reddishblue
Manofgames wrote:
Personly max, i wouldnt want the frih if i got in the group. sure, there are probabley tonnes of people here who can 'x' full time, but never contribute.

thisll show people who can or is willing to help with projects.

though perhaps lower post count to 50, so its easier to apply.

appointing someone to judge wether a person should be allowed to join is difficult.
perhaps people already in group vote to allow people to join.

Yes but who will be in the groups at the start?
_Jak_
50 posts is actually a better idea,
reddish has an excellent point with the problem about joining and there are ways to get a leader or a 'judge'
(global forum vote)
and having a judge would be a good way to check posts and make sure they arent spammy at all

anyway as i said before this is a great idea if not an ideal way to promote GOOD posts in an already excellent forum.
Vrythramax
Actually it's up to the Forum Owner (Bondings). Nobody here, including me, has the right to create such a group. You may want to work out your strategy and hierarchy of the group before you bring it to him.
Azmo
hehe to start of,

1. decide how many skill groups there should be... like 1 for html/css etc.. and 1 for programing languages... or more?

2. chose a person who many know is good in one of those things and let him "pick out" the first grp of people

3. the chosen grp of people take a vote for who knows most and decide he is the judge/leader or w/e
reddishblue
I'll take Graphics if you guys want, and yes, I think there should group for each Programming Language heres my Photobucket with most of my work s108.photobucket.com/albums/n6/RedKnightBlue
Azmo
still have to wait for Boinding to say "YES" tho.. however, it he would accept, I don't mind beeing in the html/xhtml/dhtml/css group (dunno what u gonna call it but imo 'css group' should be just fine)
snowboardalliance
What about people with some skill that can help others but don't have much of a portfolio. Like I know php, html, and css pretty well, but my site is no where near completion.
Manofgames
Hmm, good point, I don't really have a portfolio either.
Perhaps the applicants can give some comments as to their experience / history in the field, and then the leader(s) decide to let them in / reject them.
Azmo
best and fairest is that all applicants do the same thing.. leader pick something that has to do with their expert area and let the applicants do it.. and the ones who does it best get's in.. that must be fair.. right? doesnt rly matter if u have a portfolio or not then..
reddishblue
Azmo wrote:
best and fairest is that all applicants do the same thing.. leader pick something that has to do with their expert area and let the applicants do it.. and the ones who does it best get's in.. that must be fair.. right? doesnt rly matter if u have a portfolio or not then..

But then it wouldn't be a group, maybe the top 5...or something.
Manofgames
Perhaps the ones who can do it get through, (not just the best).
If the judge(s) think that the person in question has enough knowledge to be allowed in, but can't do the test, then its put up to vote.

whatever happens, we can't really let this become a communist group, ie the group being led by one person because:

a) if that person leaves for a while, then everything will fail, as noone willbe in charge of the group, unless Bondings appoints someone else to leader status

b) It'd be more 'community'ish if there were at least 2 people leading the group.

I don't think the group should have any private forum's or that they should have any special benefits / powers over other members, as that'd be unfair on everyone else.

I think the only noticable difference between a person in a group, and a person not in the group should be a small shield icon in their profile.

A bit like what namepros do with their charity badges / forum life stars.
truespeed
I would like to see groups where there are experts in things like joomla,phpbb forums etc etc ,and not just general coding languages.
Azmo
if there is enough people with good enough knowledge about those stuff, there shouldnt be impossible..
reddishblue
You know, communist is a word thrown around WAY to much, but in my idea, the only thing that the leader does thats special is decide at the start if the recruits should get in, after that, there is no more leader.
Today I will begin to choose group subjects, could you guys (and gals) throw some ideas my way, but no obscure stuff that only you know, this is a community, not your own fun club. Wink
silvermesh
I'm not sure that there should be 'judging" because who is to say what someone does and does not know other than he?

What might be cool instead is a member rating system, so that if a member finds another members help to be useful, he could give him a good review, which would go into an average of his reviews. Another good way to judge a persons worth would be his frih$, as you could reward a good helper with frih$
reddishblue
silvermesh wrote:
I'm not sure that there should be 'judging" because who is to say what someone does and does not know other than he?

What might be cool instead is a member rating system, so that if a member finds another members help to be useful, he could give him a good review, which would go into an average of his reviews. Another good way to judge a persons worth would be his frih$, as you could reward a good helper with frih$

His work is to say this, you would need a portfolio, PLEASE ACTUALLY READ MY POST PEOPLE!

Anyway, thanks to Azmo we have a basic list of possible groups.
Azmo wrote:

xhtml/css group
(knowledge about, html, xhtml, dhtml, xml? and css) or something like that..

Java group
(knowledge about java and javascript...

C/C++ group
(knowledge about c/c++ and other server side program codes?

php and mysql group
(knowledge about php, mysql, asp? how to set up a local server, phpmyadmin etc..

Design group
(making 2d and 3d design in photosop, fireworks, indesign etc...

Animators group
(flash, director 3d-studio, etc.. knowledge about how to make animations, mootion tweens n stuff.. graphic that moves/blinks etc...
Azmo
yarr.. my list is displayed Smile naa but that was what I felt was "right" .. would be fun to see other people's group lists aswell.. see what they had in mind Smile
silvermesh
reddishblue wrote:

His work is to say this, you would need a portfolio, PLEASE ACTUALLY READ MY POST PEOPLE!

just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I didn't read your post. yeesh jump down my throat will ya.
All I'm saying is that some people know a hell of a lot and they can show people how to do lots of things, but not all of those people feel the need to create things for themselves. as in, you don't need a portfolio in order to be knowledgeable.
reddishblue
silvermesh wrote:
reddishblue wrote:

just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I didn't read your post. yeesh jump down my throat will ya.
All I'm saying is that some people know a hell of a lot and they can show people how to do lots of things, but not all of those people feel the need to create things for themselves. as in, you don't need a portfolio in order to be knowledgeable.

So they have never made a thing in their life, and at the same time they are very knowledgable, well they can make something for us to see, nobody should be able to get in with no proof of skill or past work. If they don't have a portfolio, they can make one.
m-productions
This sounds like a great idea, however, i would want to be in or be leader of or w/e of a flash group..
snowboardalliance
reddishblue wrote:

Azmo wrote:

Java group

Only suggestion would be not to have java/javascript as a group. They are totally different. Java could almost fit in with the C group (though not necessarily.)

reddishblue wrote:

So they have never made a thing in their life, and at the same time they are very knowledgable, well they can make something for us to see, nobody should be able to get in with no proof of skill or past work. If they don't have a portfolio, they can make one.

What if what you've made is unfinished?

But I'm sure there can be some way to prove your knowledge of an area.
reddishblue
snowboardalliance wrote:
reddishblue wrote:

Azmo wrote:

Java group

Only suggestion would be not to have java/javascript as a group. They are totally different. Java could almost fit in with the C group (though not necessarily.)

reddishblue wrote:

What if what you've made is unfinished?

But I'm sure there can be some way to prove your knowledge of an area.

Then they can show us what the unfinished thing is, whatever happens, nobody should be able to get in with nothing to show.
Azmo
isn't it pretty much the same everywhere all the time.. if you can't prove something you never get the job.. and since u gotta keep up with all the new code/scripts/edits that comes all the time.. it's most likley that you do have something to show up.. don't have to be a portfolio.. just stuff online, a personal website would prob be preferd ofc.. but still...
Vrythramax
ummm....has anyone even mentioned all this to Bondings yet? If not you all may be getting a bit ahead of yourselves with all your planning.
reddishblue
Vrythramax wrote:
ummm....has anyone even mentioned all this to Bondings yet? If not you all may be getting a bit ahead of yourselves with all your planning.

Um...what. How can we mention this, you have access to the staff forum, why don't you start a topic so he will see.
How do you expect us to do it, PMs are nearly useless, he must get at least 50 a day.
So if you please Vryth, could you do it. Wink
Vrythramax
I would start a topic there, but it would be rather hypocritical of me personally to do so as I don't agree with your plans. I think the entire idea would only do more towards creating certain user castes or cliques which would only serve to seperate users instead of helping to create a working community.

How long would it be before the leaders (or the underlying staff) of these individual groups felt they should have more power over thier groups, and simply bog down everybody with complaints over how much they done here or there and they deserve more than everybody else.

This is why we have so many forums where everybody is free to show off to the entire world what skills they possess and make their knowlege free to everyone. If you are simply looking for power or title....maybe your looking at the entire concept of a Free Community a little askewed.
reddishblue
All we want are groups who are skilled and can discuss and show off work to other people who can in turn give sophisticated constructive critique.
Go to any graphics community, they have quite a few teams and often they are very successful.

As a side benefit people will also know who to turn to if they need help with something.
This is not just for a title, and I don't see why people still want a leader, I already pointed out that after the first members are chosen there will be no more leaders.

I fail to see how this will cause any more elevation then there already is as all that seperates us from a non-group member is skill.
Maybe we could even have a mentor system where we help members interested in gaining knowledge.

In short, all that seperates us and the rest of Frihost is knowledge and experience, anyone, is skilled enough can join any group, these clubs require nothing more then skill and a good personality.

And if it all doesn't work out, then maybe we should look at ourselves. and what this was all meant to be about, and if that fails, we can always trash the whole thing.
Vrythramax
@reddishblue

As I stated before, only Bondings can create any such groups, so trying to sell me, or anyone else on the idea before going to him is rather pointless.
reddishblue
Vrythramax wrote:
@reddishblue

As I stated before, only Bondings can create any such groups, so trying to sell me, or anyone else on the idea before going to him is rather pointless.

I was trying to convince you to agree so that you would post it on the staff forum.