FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phpBB Forum.. How to Delete Spammers..

Possum
Hi

I have a phpBB forum. Even though I have E-Mail confirmation on I still get unwanted spam memebers who I have to delete one at a time. I just installed a toolkit mod that enabled me to delete them all in one go..

Its the

http://starfoxtj.no-ip.com/phpBB/toolkit/toolkitv2.1a toolkit..

Works really well. Deleted all spammers in one go.. Does other cool things too

Cheers Possum..
Alie
Add to your registration page GFX Code. You know those pictures with four, or more letters and numbers on simple background. Like in rapidshare.com. Make sure first that your server has GD library to generate thease pictures and find out how to add it into your forum in phpbb.com forum.
I'm not sure, but few last versions of phpBB2 have this GFX code in registration page already.
rafifaisal
Possum wrote:
Hi

I have a phpBB forum. Even though I have E-Mail confirmation on I still get unwanted spam memebers who I have to delete one at a time. I just installed a toolkit mod that enabled me to delete them all in one go..

Its the

http://starfoxtj.no-ip.com/phpBB/toolkit/toolkitv2.1a toolkit..

Works really well. Deleted all spammers in one go.. Does other cool things too

Cheers Possum..

It is a real good toolkit.I must admit. I have it too on my forum. But the problem occurs when spammers can actually post spam. If you then delete these users together with their posts, it will not delete the posts itself. It will only replace the content posted by the spammer with the word DELETED.
That is annoying.

You have to put more effort in disallowing spammers to actually register. Instead of deleting them everytime
cavey
As I wrote in another thread:

This hack for phpBB will help you:
phpBBHacks.com - Anti Bot Question Hack

Upon registration and guestposting (if you allow that), the user must answer a question that you have made. Unless it's a mathematical or similar question, bots won't be able to answer the question, and you won't be bothered with them.

This is much better than writing text from an image. Bots can use programs to recognize text from images, even distorted ones.
{name here}
Quote:
This is much better than writing text from an image. Bots can use programs to recognize text from images, even distorted ones.

It's not in the writing of text, it's where you put it and what you put in it: http://www.osfree.org/forum/
I've successfully stopped all spambot activity simply by inserting the images slightly higher up and writing the instructions on it. If that wasn't enough security the text uses sounded out english lettering and asks the user to reconstruct the letter.
littlegiant
Sorry to piggy-back here but I've got something related. I need a good anti-spam tool/plugin for an SMF forum. I'm managing a forum where I'd say only 1 out of every 50 registrations is actually a legitimate forum poster. All the rest are pure spammers. It's getting to be a real drag deleting them all every day. I know I can use the built-in Registration Management utility but some of the signups are borderline, e.g. they look legitimate until I do a search for their email address in Google and find out what they're really up to. I don't want to accidentally delete a legitimate signup as the forum is not mine. I'm managing it for a client. I need something like the Akismet plugin they have for Wordpress which checks potential spammers against some kind of database.
sarbaraj101
Use some MODs to ward them off. Its the best bet.
littlegiant
There's only one mod and that's me. (*chuckle*). Well we have some other 'mods' but they're not really tech-savvy enough to go into the admin panel and start banning and deleting signups. I know that sounds lame but that's the way it is.
sparkah
Guys... if you dont want to use a mod... you can bulk delete as many spammers AND their posts by doing this... i blogged a video how to ... http://journik.posterous.com/phpbb-how-to-bulk-delete-users-spammers-and-s