FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux connecting to unix

ThePolemistis
hi,,, this may be a stupid question but im a linux no0b so bare with me...

i was wondering if it possible to connect to a unix server through linux and if so, what program would I use? Also, I require the program to be able to load GUI.

For instance, it is possible from windows to connect to a unix server through cygwin. Is there one for linux?

But im sure Linux is able to do it without such a big program like cygwin.

Anyone know?
YellowShadow
Are you asking to connect to a Unix system through Linux? If so I think SSH would be the best way to go. (Don't ask me how run it though and I don't know if it runs on Linux)
qscomputing
What do you mean by connecting to a Unix server - a server for what?

Linux and Unix are, for the most part, (almost) the same thing, so you shouldn't have any problems.
ThePolemistis
YellowShadow wrote:
Are you asking to connect to a Unix system through Linux? If so I think SSH would be the best way to go. (Don't ask me how run it though and I don't know if it runs on Linux)

Precisely, I want to connect to a unix system through linux
I have used Cygwin on windows, and its like an emulator, and works perfectly.

qscomputing wrote:
What do you mean by connecting to a Unix server - a server for what?

Basically, I want to connect to my university's unix system from linux.

As far as im aware, Cygwin is the best and free tool to do this for windows. Note that putty can access the system, but is only textbased, and im looking for a GUI alternative.

qscomputing wrote:
Linux and Unix are, for the most part, (almost) the same thing, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Thats what im thinking so it shouldn't be too hard i guess

ANy ideas??
qscomputing
Well Cygwin is basically a collection of Linux tools for Windows, so just look for the same program that you use in Cygwin and work with that.

Still don't quite understand what you mean though. Do you mean you have a shell account on some Unix server somewhere and want to connect to it, or something else? Perhaps you can explain what you do in Windows and then I can probably help you a bit more.

HTH.
ThePolemistis
qscomputing wrote:
Well Cygwin is basically a collection of Linux tools for Windows, so just look for the same program that you use in Cygwin and work with that.

Still don't quite understand what you mean though. Do you mean you have a shell account on some Unix server somewhere and want to connect to it, or something else? Perhaps you can explain what you do in Windows and then I can probably help you a bit more.

HTH.

Okay basically, I already have a unix login name and password.
I want to use Linux to connect to this account.

For instance, I can at the moment use putty (on Windows) to access the account, and it would allow me to go on to the unix server, and the bash shell. Here i can do unix only commands such as ls, mv, etc etc. Since putty is only command based, no GUI programs will be loaded. However, it does allow non-GUI based programs such as emacs. But Xemacs and browsers such as mozilla won't load.

What I want to do is to achieve the same as putty, but a program that provides a graphical environment. Cygwin does that for windows. However, cygwin takes more than 1 gig of memory but is free. Exceed is another program which des the same, but is a commericial example.

I want a free software under Linux that does what Exceed and cygwin do.
qscomputing
Hmm, the X Window system is supposed to do graphics over the network. Unfortunately I don't know all that much about this area, but I would suggest you post your question at LinuxQuestions (http://linuxquestions.org) for a better response. HTH.
Nyizsa
So basically you want to run some software remotely from the server on your desktop?
For logging in, ssh is what you need. Ssh will also run remote programs on your computer. Check the ForwardX11 option!
I still don't really understand your need.
ThePolemistis
Nyizsa wrote:
So basically you want to run some software remotely from the server on your desktop?
For logging in, ssh is what you need. Ssh will also run remote programs on your computer. Check the ForwardX11 option!
I still don't really understand your need.

Okay, perhaps I haven't explained myself clearly. I basically want a program for linux that will behave like cygwin or exceed in connecting to a unix server.

This is the wikipedia description for exceed:

Quote:
Exceed is a commercial X server that runs under Microsoft Windows. Exceed is produced by Hummingbird Ltd. By using Exceed products, users can connect to Unix and Linux desktops and work in a way similar to Windows Remote Desktop.

This is the wikipedia description for cygwin:

Quote:
Cygwin is a collection of free software tools originally developed by Cygnus Solutions to allow various versions of Microsoft Windows to act similar to a Unix system. It aims mainly at porting software that runs on POSIX systems (such as Linux, BSD, and Unix systems) to run on Windows with little more than a recompilation. Programs ported with Cygwin work better on Windows NT, but some may run acceptably on Windows 9x. While Cygwin provides header files and libraries that makes it easier to recompile or port Unix applications for use on Windows, it does not directly make Unix binaries compatible with Windows (or vice versa).

So basically, i want programs like above for linux and free as well.
Is this possible? (i thought it would be easy since Linux and unix are similar)
qscomputing
You want something similar to Cygwin for Linux.
Sure, it's called Linux.

Cygwin is basically a port of common Linux libraries and userland tools for Windows. So, just use the same tool in Linux as you would in Cygwin.
ThePolemistis
qscomputing wrote:
You want something similar to Cygwin for Linux.
Sure, it's called Linux.

Cygwin is basically a port of common Linux libraries and userland tools for Windows. So, just use the same tool in Linux as you would in Cygwin.

so what exactly would I type in the terminal?
snicker
ThePolemistis wrote:
Okay basically, I already have a unix login name and password.
I want to use Linux to connect to this account.

For instance, I can at the moment use putty (on Windows) to access the account, and it would allow me to go on to the unix server, and the bash shell. Here i can do unix only commands such as ls, mv, etc etc. Since putty is only command based, no GUI programs will be loaded. However, it does allow non-GUI based programs such as emacs. But Xemacs and browsers such as mozilla won't load.

As already answered, you can obtain the same behavior of cygwin using the normal linux shell.

Edit for your post above: if you access the unix server via ssh, type from the shell:

:~$ssh your_login@server.name

It will ask you for a password. Type it and you are in.

As for a graphical remote access to the Unix server, follow Nyizsa's suggestion and search the web for X11 forwarding using SSH. Here a couple of links:

http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/adminguide/32/X11_Forwarding.html

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/X11_forwarding_with_OpenSSH

There may be other ways to obtain remote graphical access (like VNC or NX), but they require the installation of serverside applications on the unix server, an option that you may not have.
Stubru Freak
Could you tell us, when you use cygwin to do this, what exactly do you type into cygwin? Cygwin is just a way to use linux commands on Windows, so you just type the same things into linux as you do into cygwin.
blueray
As snicker said, basically linux and unix system already build-in xwindow local and remote functionailty. So you does't needs any software.

But you have to go through some configuration that setting the x-client and x-server so that work together. You can google some linux web site it will let you knew how to do it.

Hope this help
ThePolemistis
blueray wrote:
As snicker said, basically linux and unix system already build-in xwindow local and remote functionailty. So you does't needs any software.

But you have to go through some configuration that setting the x-client and x-server so that work together. You can google some linux web site it will let you knew how to do it.

Hope this help

OKay cool.... i got it working... didn't know it was so simple...

I simply typed in the terminal:

Code:
ssh -Y -l myUsername theServersAddress

and everything works... replacing myUsername and theServersAddress with correct values of course.

Thanks again for everyone with their responses,,, helped me out a lot..

cheers