FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Horror/Scary Movies

cornga56
Alright, I'm curious to find out about horror movies that other people find actually terrifying. Now this isn't the place for movies like Freddy/Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th/Jason movies, or even movies like Critters.

PLEASE no cheesy horror movies. I actually want to find out about more truly horrifying and scary movies. Here's some examples that I found to be great horror movies:

Deadbirds
Headspace
Event horizon

There's a bunch of them out there I can't think of quite yet but just to give an idea, I'm not looking for those SciFi Feature films like Kaw and cheese horror. Basically anything with creative value as well as scare value.

I look forward to everyone's posts!
LovE-RicH
Have you seen:
The Exorcist
Psycho
Saw I
The Omen (1976)
28 Days Later

I'll post more as I remember...
cornga56
Yep and those are exactly what I'm talking about, solid horror movies.

All those are definite classics in my list and still hold their creep-value.
Geminh
You should check out Texas Chain Saw Massacre if your looking for a gory horror film. The first Jeepers Creepers is kind of decent so you might want to try that also. Other gory horror films would include anything from the Saw series, Silence of the lambs and Hannibal.
Osmodius
I found Saw to be pretty comical really. Saw II was better, but still not frightening--just entertaining.

Wasn't Event Horizon that Sci-Fi movie with Sam Neill and Morpheus? Did you really find that scary? Razz
Scaramanga
Osmodius wrote:
Wasn't Event Horizon that Sci-Fi movie with Sam Neill and Morpheus? Did you really find that scary? Razz

I preferred the original, you know The Shining. Very Happy
cornga56
Eh, event horizon wasn't really that scary compared to others, but it was one of the first halfway decent non-cheese horror movies, I should really just take that off though, haha.

The saw movies are def gore intensive, haha. But they are suspenseful, which is def a quality of horror so yea that counts for sure ya know.

Anyone have any solid, maybe not wide-release horror movies they like?
Lusiphur
The Birds

One of the best Horror movies IMO. A movie that takes something completely unscary and then manages to turn it into something that creepy has got to be good.

Arachnaphobia.

How many people watched this as a child and still get creeped out by spiders? I know I do.

And finally....

IT.

Pennywise is without a doubt the creepiest bad guy I have ever seen in a movie. Book is better but is still a good horror.

Honourable Mention - Puppet Master (My mum still recalls coming downstairs one night and finding a 7yr old me, white, shaking and tears streaming down my face while watching this movie. I got up to walk and apparently my legs turned to jelly. Due to this I have to include it:) )
Blu_Spykz
Lusiphur wrote:
The Birds

One of the best Horror movies IMO. A movie that takes something completely unscary and then manages to turn it into something that creepy has got to be good.

Arachnaphobia.

How many people watched this as a child and still get creeped out by spiders? I know I do.

And finally....

IT.

Pennywise is without a doubt the creepiest bad guy I have ever seen in a movie. Book is better but is still a good horror.

Honourable Mention - Puppet Master (My mum still recalls coming downstairs one night and finding a 7yr old me, white, shaking and tears streaming down my face while watching this movie. I got up to walk and apparently my legs turned to jelly. Due to this I have to include it:) )

I came into this convo to say all of them films.

Have you watched Creep? Good. Don't. It's absolutely shite.
LovE-RicH
Geminh wrote:
You should check out Texas Chain Saw Massacre if your looking for a gory horror film.

I myself don't enjoy blood and gore anymore, now I prefer psychological horror. Any suggestions for me, too?Smile
nunu
Smile
rheanna
Resident Evil and all the Zombie Films.
mattyj
Texas Chainsaw Massacre...best/scariest horror movie hands downever...

I finally got around to watching Hostel the other day and that was also pretty damn good...

Saw is not bad...

The Ninth Gate was another i didnt mind
et-configs
Shaun of the Dead Laughing
Dawn of the Dead
Land of the Dead (the zombies get smart)
The Hitcher
Saw 1,2,3
Halloween series
Doom (stupid towards the end)
Chucky
Omen (original)
Bride of Chucky (funny but gorey)
Resident Evil Apocalypse
Resident Evil
Resident evil (There is a new one comming this slot is for that!)

I can't think of many more right now Wink
bigbadjohn
Well if you want horror which has substance over style Id recommend the films of David Cronenberg, his films are thought provoking and feature some of the most memorabe moments in horror.

Here are some of his films to check out

Scanners: This is one of the first horror pictures I saw and it is the story of people with telekentic powers who can control the minds of others. It is the struggle between a good scanner who is recruited to stop a bad scanner from domination. The special effects are great and I liked the story too, it is gorey but relies on suspense to rack up the tension.

Videodrome: This film features the story of a cable tv station manager who is looking for the biggest and weirdest programs to put on his station when he stumbles upon a station featuring an extreme show called Videodrome as he investigates further he is caught into a nightmare world.

The special effects in this film for the time were groundbreaking and still hold up today. Definitely worth a look. Inventive story.

His remake of the film The Fly is also worth viewing it is gory, funny and features great acting, hope this helps.
Blu_Spykz
Two good horror DVDs that you can get - but they are so damn rare - are Alien Abduction: The Mcphereson Story and the game play of Silent Hill (basically a 1 hr 30 film of someone completing the game)

The first, supposedly based on a true story of a family that went missing after filming some unusually activity... a Blair Witch type film with an ending that made even me shudder (fan of MAJOR horror flicks for 18+ years)

and the second - a run through of the original game - far better than the film starring Sean Bean! A good watch actually.
chaotikremix
Thai horror movies are good. Anyone seen Shutter or Scared before? Shutter was released in the US not so long ago, so Im not surprised if anyone saw it. I believe there will be an American remake for this one. Ahh there were so many scenes that freaked me out. The ghost was so scary. Like the scene in the dark room where Tun developing his picture and the ghost turns her head real quick in the picture. So scary!

Scared is a teen slasher movie. The ending surprised me. I think this movie is harder to find because it doesnt have english subtitles on dvd yet. But its very good .Lots of cool death scenes. Its one of the best slasher films out there I think. Razz
IronWolf87
the ring, freddy vs jason

like gore? last king of scotland or green mile. and saw
TurtleShell
I don't really like horror movies. But, the movies on my "scariest" list:

Silence of the Lambs
Scream (so much fun, that movie!)
Blair Witch Project
The Shining

and...
I think the creepiest movie (not scariest, just...creepiest) I've ever seen was Beloved, which I really wasn't expecting. Maybe it was so creepy because I didn't think it would be.
Kelcey
I liked Event Horizon (I think that's what it was called) where they're all on a ship in space (haha, how many horrors are like that Razz).
rheanna
There was a movie with Marlyin Manson about meeting people off the internet. And I can't remember but that is my favorite.....They did a good job on it. Wish I could remember the name...
matliw
Down of the Dead (1978) - really good one, commenting on social issues.
Down of the Dead (2004) - good entertainment Smile I had a lot of fun watching this

Cronenberg's: Videodrome - somebody mentioned it earlier, tech/media/change oriented, really good one

28 Days Later - another zombie theme, well done
rheanna
I think I remembered the movie now

"Strangeland"
mac_ad
Who says Freddy and Friday are cheesy? Im appalled! The shock genre would hardly exist without slasher flicks!!! I am proud to say I own every halloween freddy and jason (even jason x!!!) on dvd, and they are my favourite movies by far!

As for forgotten movies, Last House on the Left is Classic and most people dont notice it, or remember it, but it was Wes Cravens original shock n awe film.
mattyj
rheanna wrote:
I think I remembered the movie now

"Strangeland"

Strangeland is an awesome movie, but it wasnt Marilyn Manson, it was Dee Snider from the band Twisted Sister...
musicaty
i like these

Saw I
Saw III
The Omen (1976)
the omen 2006
28 Days Later
the hills have eyes
the hills have eyes II
tkGER
the only movie a saw that made me feel really scared is Psycho (the original one, of course, not the remake), due to its music mainly.
Nowadays "horror movies" ain't about scaring people, but about showing loads of blood, disfigured faces, missing heads and ghostly kids yelling. That's not scary, that's disturbing. The plot doesn't scare you, the yelling girl in her ripped off clothes does! and that's just like when someone scares you by jumping out of the dark, at the end, you laugh about what you just saw, you won't get out of the cinema (or to bed should you have seen it at home) trembling and shaking....
With the scriptwriters there are nowadays, I wouldn't be afraid to say horror films have already died, and that's sad Sad
TurtleShell
Ok, so my family is out of town for the next month and I'm trying to decide which are the best scary movies to watch while they are away. I just watched a movie with my brother last night, called Tale of Two Sisters. Has anyone seen this? Very creepy! It was a little complicated, so we had to deconstruct it when we were done, but I think I figured it out. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some others--I don't really want "horror" movies though. I don't need blood and gore to get freaked out--in fact, I prefer the movies that build suspense the real way--by being suspenseful, not gross. Can anyone recommend some good ones?
ribozon
^ the hills have eyes as he said also the texas chainsaw massacre, it's freaking me out

and the movies about satans and devils tho. but not interested in zombie movies that much because they're not that overpowered like the ghosts or devils. they can kill a zombie just shoot him in the brain and here you go.

ah but those mutated huge zombies like trolls with big muscles, they're freaking me out tho.

but otherwise if you want to see some blood and carnage in the movies, zombie movies are the best to watch ^^ Very Happy
welshsteve
For slash movies I think you can't beat Scream. It's element of comedy make it great viewing.