FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dell is trying

WallBase
Dell is trying a second time to sell personal computers with Linux preinstalled, this time using the up-and-coming Ubuntu version of the open-source operating system.

At the end of May, the No. 2 PC maker will begin selling some consumer-focused laptop and desktop models with Ubuntu's new "Feisty Fawn" version of Linux installed, Dell spokesman Kent Cook said. The company announced the Linux move on Tuesday on its IdeaStorm site, launched in February to gather feedback directly from customers about what they want.

More info :

http://news.com.com/Dell+picks+Ubuntu+for+Linux+PCs/2100-7344_3-6180419.html?tag=nefd.lede
brokenadvice
meh...

it doesn't make a difference until they start advertising this feature. Seriously, anyone who wants Linux probably knows how to install it. (And charging 40$ probably wont help sales.)
{name here}
When people start buying them then it's a triumph for open source. All this means now is that Ubuntu is in poor personal computer systems. What will be interesting is how many technical support calls they'll probably get with problems that are most likely dumb.
YellowShadow
It's a great move for dell, but I personally don't like the Dell line of computers.
Talk2Tom11
The problem is that people that buy dells don;'t know linux and people that know linux would know better then to buy a dell
Bones
Talk2Tom11 wrote:
The problem is that people that buy dells don;'t know linux and people that know linux would know better then to buy a dell

Agreed, but I think it's a great move and I hope that it works for Dell. I think users should have more choice than just Windows and Mac. It would be nice to see linux become more of a player in the OS market.
simplyw00x
I am soon going to purchasing a 600-1000 laptop, and will be running linux on it. But I'm not even considering Dell. Why? The build quality on their laptops is so much worse than HP, Sony, or really any other brand I've ever held. I don't do monopolies - one of the reasons I don't want windows - and if Dell thinks that a token response to an overwhelming desire that their customers have expressed is going to make me ignore all that, they're out of their minds.

Furthermore, the idea of paying for this 'service' is laughable - charge $40 to do what? Bake the HD with one disk image instead of another? Please. Another reason I like linux (and Ubuntu) is that there is no cost. Hence it's obscene to charge this, and disguising it as a 'service' changes nothing.
Bones
Considering the number of Windows users compared to Linux users, I hardly think you could call it overwhelming :S
et-configs
The Red Hat company of linux the system is alot more organized i have my computer dual boot on the load up. I have Unbuntu right now. It is such a nice system. I'm having problems gettin my internet over thats the only problem with it. OR else everything else is better on that then on windows Cool
Bones
et-configs wrote:
The Red Hat company of linux the system is alot more organized i have my computer dual boot on the load up. I have Unbuntu right now. It is such a nice system. I'm having problems gettin my internet over thats the only problem with it. OR else everything else is better on that then on windows Cool

Except games Razz By the way, does your internet connection happen to be a PPPoE connection? Ubuntu has always had problems with PPPoE.
TheGeek
I have already expressed my opinion on this subject in many other forums. I am only going to say that this is a great achievement for the Linux community. I fear the stupidity of the bottom end user however and I fear where this may lead linux. If all goes well though, people may actually attempt to learn about their computers rather then just using them. If not, then I fear that people may just have one more company to blame their stupidity on.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Considering the number of Windows users compared to Linux users, I hardly think you could call it overwhelming :S

Considering that Linux won their little 'Ideastorm' by an huge margin, I can safely call it overwhelming. Dell asked users what they want, and the majority said 'Linux'. Besides, I fail to see how users=demand. In 2005, there was not a single Vista end-user. Does that mean that people in 2005 didn't want Vista? (possibly a bad example, because most people still don't want Vista, but meh)

Quote:
Except games

Including games. Attempt the following sequence:
1. Do research
2. Post
As opposed to your current one:
1. Spout 15-year old criticisms of Linux

Quote:
I fear the stupidity of the bottom end user

I somehow don't think that bottom-tier end-users will be picking an option for an OS they don't understand, or indeed picking any options for that matter.
YellowShadow
I would have botten a linux computer from them, but I've had bad experience with dell. Anyway whoever wants a preinstalled Linux computer from a trusted I would suggest you go with dell.
corey
I think that this is a good move for Dell. The company is not aiming their Linux marketing to the general user. They're looking to get businesses interested in using their Linux workstations, as they have with the servers they already offer. I don't see a problem with that at all, although HP does seem to have better support when it comes to managing a large number of machines.

What really excites me about this move is the whole idea that there is a hardware manufacturer who is putting out a machine that will run Linux without any workarounds or hacks (except for the NDISwrapper workaround for wireless). Its nice to know that there's a laptop out there in which everything works out of the box without Windows on it.
william
I, personally, would say that this is great for the Linux community. I, being a major fan of Linux, am glad to see that Tux is getting the chance to expand even more. Dell, being the second largest computer manufacturer (after Hewlett Packard), would significantly bring the number of Linux copies out there go up.
However, I don't know if this is really good for Dell. Nearly everyone who wants Linux can just download and install. And, as many people mentioned above, Dell's technical support would have to deal with a lot of dumb questions. We'll also have to see how well Dell's technical support can handle it. Plus, charging extra cash for Linux might be a downside.
Overall, I'm happy with this, just because it'll help Linux expand.
peaceninja
This is good for both Dell and Ubuntu. I look forward to learning what the operating system that the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) program anticipates using.
teko
I think Dell are also pushing SUSE for their servers too. See here

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4993

Kind of worrying that Microsoft are getting involved there too
qebab
I have to agree that this could be a very good move. However, I dislike that they will charge for something that is free. Then again; as others mentioned already, if you buy Dell, chances are you're going for something easy, so a preinstalled OS is probably the right for you.
{name here}
qebab wrote:
I have to agree that this could be a very good move. However, I dislike that they will charge for something that is free. Then again; as others mentioned already, if you buy Dell, chances are you're going for something easy, so a preinstalled OS is probably the right for you.

Well, if they go with SuSE, then it isn't so free.
seeapoko
being a mac user, i find this slightly interesting. I was under the impression that the neat thing about linux was that you did everything yourself, wouldnt having it done for you defeat the purpose? and based on my friends, they disliked the quality of their dell products anyway.

didnt they try this idea already though?
d3f3nd3r
a good idea

but we will see if linux is now easy enough for the mass
froginabox
I personally think it is a very smart move for Dell - they are opening up more options other than Windows, which will get positive reviews from the non-Windows community. I also think that it is smart to have another alternative to Windows since Vista came out... if Vista is representative of what Microsoft is going to be doing in the future I'll be staying with XP, Macs, and Ubuntu!
simplyw00x
Quote:
I was under the impression that the neat thing about linux was that you did everything yourself

For distributions such as Gentoo and Slackware, that still is the appeal, but several (such as Ubuntu and Suse) are advertised as having better automatical detection and installation than windows, but with a smoother transition to being a true 'power user'.

Quote:
but we will see if linux is now easy enough for the mass

No we won't. The "mass" won't choose linux. Windows power users might choose it, which will only hinder linux's popularity (because windows power users suck at linux). So yes, a canny move for Dell to sell more Windows.
socialoutcast
I was in a Walmart store and I saw that Dell is now selling computers in Walmart.

There guys well do anything to sell you a computer.
evilryu530
yea they are trying to get back their market share, hp is number one now, i'd do the same thing, try to sell it anywhere i have a dell and it's been good to me, the customer support online is awesome. i hate hp, and gateway especially...they both suck real bad...dell i'd buy again, clean design, not their laptops tho, desktops serve their function, and what a deal their monitors are prettygood too....im not complaining, who cares if it comes with ubuntu?
mehulved
And again, the dell systems with preloaded linux aren't available everywhere, atleast not here in India. Not that I'd buy one anyway.
lastelement0
id rather spend money on the barebones system than buying one with ubuntu already on it....thats an extra 40 bux in my pocket than being spent to get linux "installed" on my purchase. ive found it fairly easy to install linux on my laptop even on my external usb hard drive and with my graphics card issue.

on the other hand it is a good step forward for all of linux to have a big company getting their name out there. hopefully in due time linux will start gaining more notoriety in the os world.
shawkat
actually i would like to buy dell with ubuntu if they were available in my country Smile

not because i like ubuntu or dell - no, anyway i will install debian on it.
but because i want to support wider adoption of linux - and this is a good chance
i know people who buy boxed distributions, but use other distributions - it's a form of donation.
welshsteve
mehulved wrote:
...Not that I'd buy one anyway.

... agreed. Dell are the most "salesy" computer manufacturer I have ever come across. I don't like them.