FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What time is Server 2 load lower?

powers1983
I was wondering at what time Sever 2 is usually less active during the day.

I am planning to use cron jobs to update parts of my site on a daily basis (nothing that is going to crash it or anything) but I have no particular preference as to what time they run so if I could schedule them to run when the server load is lower then I suppose that would be a good idea.

So basically a server load graph like that shown on stats pages showing variations throughout the day would be ideal, but if not available then I'm sure some of the Admin will know at roughly when the load is lower.

I'd guess that the best times are when most of the US and/or Europe is asleep but thats a pretty big assumption on who uses frihost web sites so anything a bit more specific would be handy.

Cheers.

David.
powers1983
I assume since there is no answer that this sort of information is not wanted to be widely known in case someone tries to crash the server by targeting it when it is usually high.

Never mind then.

David.
Animal
Sorry - I'm not sure why this question hasn't been answered. If we didn't want to tell you, we'd say so and explain why.

Basically, the load times are not necessarily predictable. Frihost has users from all over the world, and although larger numbers are from one or two countries, the load on the servers are mainly dictated by the users of the websites rather than the operators themselves (in most cases at least). Provided the cron job doesn't cause any damage or a high server load itself, it shouldn't matter what time it's run. Perhaps you could try and be a little sensible about it though - try to avoid peak times both in the US and Europe, and I'm sure it'll be fine Smile

Apologies for the delay in answering your question.
Bondings
Put it somewhere during the night, like 4am GMT. But to be honest, it isn't really that important as the server load can be high at all times due to server maintenance/backups and not just during the EU/USA day period.
powers1983
Ok cheers.

No probs about the delay - been busy studying for exams anyway. 2 weeks and thats another year done.

David.